NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

5th Annual Gila Bend Cruise

Desertdawg

Guest UVETTYA

I'd like to see a little more organization myself, but that's just me. For a group this big I think we should have a point car both front and rear and communicate better on the FRC's to keep the pack together. In the past we've gotten pretty strung out and the cars in the rear sometimes have to scurry to catch up. Not that that's a BAD thing for some of us :devil but there are others who like to take it easy and I think we should consider them too. Once we're on the highway and bunched up we can maybe step it out a little.

Just as an FYI for those who haven't cruised with us, sometimes the front runners will bust out and kick it for a ways, and in the the past the rest of the pack has tried to keep up with them. So if you don't like to drive that fast, then slow down to where you're comfortable and don't worry about it. It's all about having fun but being safe is more important.

I think 50 Vette's in a convoy will be an awesome sight. :yesnod:thumbs

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Desertdawg

• Eddie44

• nort99

• Scratch

Dawg

Add two more to the K, K, & J clan for a total of 5, going to bring the inlaws. My MIL is insisting on bring a dessert (or something) just her way. She's an excellent cook so please let me know if you need any more food.

Keith

Tell her no!! :lol

:leaving

You tell her :leaving

On another note, will be there rain or shine.

So if you don't like to drive that fast, then slow down to where you're comfortable and don't worry about it. It's all about having fun but being safe is more important.

I think 50 Vette's in a convoy will be an awesome sight. :yesnod:thumbs

amen to that.

its about the journey not the speed. :thumbs

Guest XLR8TNC5

I agree with Steve (Uvettya) but since I am going to be drving down by myself anyway, it doesn't matter what I think. lol....

I know that SECC does a VERY good job in keeping the groups together on cruises. They always have a front man, and a rear car that have radios and keeps all the group together. I think they are very organized in their runs and a blast to run with. We have been on two of their cruises and I often wish we at ACE could figure out how to do it that way.

But don't get me wrong, we all have cars capable of keeping up with each other, but sometimes, I like to just cruise in the "pack" and not go all out. However, that being said, I also enjoy leading the "pack" at times as well at a few miles over the posted speed limit. Few could mean 2 miles to 20 miles, it depends. Anyway, this is no admission of guilt here and is for entertainment purposes only.

:thumbs

I will see you all soon!

Last year we did a great job of staying together as I recall.

This is easy enough to solve. Steve, you okay with taking the front? I'll take up the rear?

I would suggest that anyone just wanting to cruise stay in the middle. A convoy tends to act like a whip. Up front is going the speed limit or just over and the rear is constantly playing catch up

I do have a good buddy that works for DPS. I'll call him Mon but my bet is the Dept won't let it happen for something like this. The other thing is do we want to give LE notice that 60-70 Vettes will be headed down I-8? We'll never be able to all stay together once we're on the road anyway. Last year we got out the best we could and then regrouped once we turned on I-8.

I agree Eddie, no Leo. :D

I guess I'll stay up front with Steve, Mark and Chris for a nice slow ride to Gila Bend!!

Ken

Ken, I think the point was the front runners can jump out and play, the middle of the pack can cruise and the rear will play a little bit because they'll always be catching up.

+ 1 for Ken.

(Oh-Ya Ken!!! And his sister to get him home.)

I would love to be the lead vette for this convoy, but somehow I don't think I'll be able to make the starting point!!!

Hey Eddie, mixed thoughts about letting the LEOs know we are on the highway. If they can get us through onto the highway from all of the starting points, then cool, otherwise I am not sure it would be good to let them know we are on the highway.... But your call, you know your friend better than we do.

Hey Eddie, mixed thoughts about letting the LEOs know we are on the highway. If they can get us through onto the highway from all of the starting points, then cool, otherwise I am not sure it would be good to let them know we are on the highway.... But your call, you know your friend better than we do.

I don't see any way they could arrange getting us on the freeway from four different points. I know he wouldn't snitch us off to anyone but he'd have to advise his radio room what he was doing and others would figure out is my guess. I think the groups will be small enough at each location other than the westside one that we shouldn't have too much trouble. I just worry about leaving Lowes. I guess like last year we'll just have to pull over just south on I-8 and regroup. Theres wide shoulder just south of I-10. We'll do the best we can.

Guest UVETTYA
Last year we did a great job of staying together as I recall.

This is easy enough to solve. Steve, you okay with taking the front? I'll take up the rear?

I would suggest that anyone just wanting to cruise stay in the middle. A convoy tends to act like a whip. Up front is going the speed limit or just over and the rear is constantly playing catch up

You're right about the whip effect. I kinda like running the back of the pack for that reason. :devil

I think someone with more brains than horse power might be a better candidate for pole position. :lol I like to work my way back and forth through the pack taking pictures and videos. :howdy I can't think of anyone who doesn't like to see a picture of themself driving their Corvette. :lol

Guest UVETTYA
I don't see any way they could arrange getting us on the freeway from four different points. I know he wouldn't snitch us off to anyone but he'd have to advise his radio room what he was doing and others would figure out is my guess. I think the groups will be small enough at each location other than the westside one that we shouldn't have too much trouble. I just worry about leaving Lowes. I guess like last year we'll just have to pull over just south on I-8 and regroup. Theres wide shoulder just south of I-10. We'll do the best we can.

Personally I like the idea of us all together in one huge convoy. That's just cool if you ask me. :thumbs The problem is getting on the freeway. We just need the lead car to hold back a little until the rest of the pack catches up. We can keep in touch with the rear cars with FRC radios and once we're all together, then we can cruise.

I would like to be put down as a maybe... Sorry for the late notice.

Sounds like a good time

Tim and Melissa

Come on you Okie, you can mae it!!!

So is everybody going a member of ACE? Just curious.

I would say no...Diane has recruited a lot of Sun Country people...but many of those are starting to sign up on ACE as she does. :thumbs

So is everybody going a member of ACE? Just curious.

I would say no...Diane has recruited a lot of Sun Country people...but many of those are starting to sign up on ACE as she does. :thumbs

Diane is recruiting a lot of folks. Some will choose to become active here and some we'll never see again. That's how ACE has evolved over the years. We don't require a membership application, dues, etc., so what is an "ACE Member"???