Daddy will I Dream?.. Yes Roxxane, you will

ChadC

at 40 min of stop and go, stop and start I got a P0430 Cataylist System Low Effiecnty Bank 2= BOOOO!!

3rd gear, 45 MPH, medium throttle, there is a bit of a stumble, misfire, popping = BOOOOOO!!

Sounds like a vacuum leak

Things to remeber when dealing with OBD or even CAN systems.

The ecm doesnt monitor Fuel or Spark. Sure it commands it but it doesn't know if its really happening.

So if your car runs poorly and you dont get a code. Check Ignition system and check fuel delivery.

If your CEL was flashing that is the ECM warning you that you have a possible CAT damaging event happening (too much unburnt fuel).

I've gotten P0430 codes when running headers, exhaust gasses flowing too fast past the o2's

Yours sounds like a lean missfire on the right bank. IIRC if the ecm detects a overly rich mixture it'll cut fuel scheduling.

If you haven't done it since installing new plugs. Disconnect the battery to clear its memory & try another test drive.

I have a scanner, and i hve cleared the code. Ill just have to repeat my drive to see if it reoccurs.

I did NOT check the driver side plugs yesterday simply because I was stoked. Im glad i did this morning

Driver side, damaged insulator on the plug wire connecting to the coil

Posted Image

a different coil with a damaged throat

Posted Image

(im using a mirror in this picture kids)

and a melted sheild wire from teh alt

Posted Image

now this is why I do slow test drives.

not a big deal, this is all part of the journey.

I only hope the passenger side Cat is not toast....

because if it is

Il be ordering a set of these bitches...

Posted Image

I only hope the passenger side Cat IS toast....

because if it is

Il be ordering a set of these bitches...

Posted Image

There all fixed!!!

They also make an 1 7/8" tri-y now and even a 2" if you special order it over the phone. Although the 1 3/4" will generate a better midrange and really only be down 5-10whp over the 1 7/8" headers. I called Pfadt and asked about swapping my 1 3/4" to the 1 7/8" and they said I wouldn't even notice the difference in power at the level I'm at. Kudos to them for not trying to upsell me on something I don't need.

FRIDAY NIGHT UPDATE

ok I now have 2 separate issues

PROBLEM ONE :P0430 Cataylist System Low Effiecnty Bank 2

well in short this ONLY happens when

-I drive the car for 40min

-reach operating temp of 220* coolant (grr..)

-shut down the car for 10 min (+/-)

-and start the car

the error appears with in 60 seconds.

in short its saying " HEY! you are below 5% operating range, and I discovered Fuel after the catalytic converter. DONT you know that will hurt the environment and kill of the One eye spotted dick owl?"

I suspect after sitting its nice and toasty. then on start up sequence there is a "splash" of fuel and it freaks out like a little bitch.

I have 3 Choices

- Use tuning software to deactivate the device/o2 sensor and simply ignore it. Some thing that is commonly done.

or

- have GM re-flash the PCM. apparently there was a TSB for early model 2009 z06 that the sensor was being a little bitch and throwing false positives. GM solution was to " de-sensitize" the unit.

or

- pull the cat to make a visual inspection.

......fuck that. IF im puling the headers im not putting them back in. see Pfadt reference above.

PROBLEM TWO: stumble, pops, hesitation under power.

ok with the electrical drama fixes this morning, no all of the symptoms have disappeared.

Idle is great, but under 50% load it starts to stumble and even had a jerk that freaked out the car and triggered a "active changeling, service traction control system. "

ok im not 100% sure there is not a vacuum leak. I tried

propane gas. no result.

..well apperentley the computer can adjust the idle faster than we can hear with the added propane gas.

losta folks like carb cleaner

.. i did not like the idea of spraying flammable crap all over my prudy new supercharger.

RESEARCH NOTE

NEVER use BRAKE CLEANER to check for vacuum leaks.

Chlorine is found in ALL brake cleaners (even the ones that are "chlorine free"). Combine that with carbon monoxide (a combustion byproduct) and then put both through a catalyst and you get PHOSGENE gas. ( a product used in World War 1 as a chemical weapon)

another shot is to use a smoke generator

well im not buying an expensive device so im going old school

cigar.jpg

made an extion to the EVAP hose and bought a cheap cigar.

plug.jpg

I had to seal up the Throttle body. dont ask what I used.

and the verdict

smoke.jpg

SMOKE!!!!!!... ( sorry I could get a picture, but use your imagination. )

it is coming out of the #3 and/or #5 intake manafold gasket area.

.. I think.

im a bit stoned from the cigar, so Ill have to un mount the coil packs, disconnect 300 hoses and try again to confirm.

I hope I dont have to remove the Supercharger, but Ill know more on sunday.

I look on the bright side

A: my engine has not blown up yet

B: im slowly finding the problems and getting them fixed.

see ya all up in precsott

I gotta axe, who da damn hammamechanix dat put dis togetta??

Busted plugs,tornup wires,now vacuum leaks

Maybe we should enroll you in UTI !!.

Well I found it

I'll post up the gore pictures bit sure enough a round rubber sealing device was torn.
Now the quest to find a replacement.

Posted Image

So, everything workie now?

Nope. Apparently it's an injector from a 03 to 09 dodge viper. No dealers have them. And any shops are closed this weekend. So I'll be ordering online and wating till mid week.

Injectors are standardized o ring size. Napa has them and just say your using them for an ls3 motor or if it's the thinner type do 2000 ish vette or any ls1

Injectors are standardized o ring size. Napa has them and just say your using them for an ls3 motor or if it's the thinner type do 2000 ish vette or any ls1

you are semi correct bud.

I have been to NAPA, oreillys, and GM on camelback. all has the same result

the LS7, LS9 (confirmed), and LS3 (assume) have the exact Inner Diameter, and Outter Diameter of the Round Rubber Sealing Device (R.R.S.D) I need.

its the thickness, or Deck height that is off.

Posted Image

here you can see the OEM LS7 (in red on left) is shorter than the Eforce (black on right)

I have tired it and when I tried my smoke test air still came out.

Posted Image

I suspect the R.R.S.D is tilting and the seal on the edge is weak and letting air pass.

with this being a boosted application It need to be spot on.

I know come Monday Ill be spending 6 hours on telephone hold at Edelbrock just to order a $1.25 part.

needless to say Ill be ordering 4 so I have backups in the event there is a need for them again.

(cough...cough.. joe@CPR.com..cough)

Cigar smoke? Aren't you worried about your car getting lung cancer or hooked?

Shoot, our cars are hooked on meth. Mine is even an alcoholic that favors corn. :) A little cigar smoke is no problem.

I've heard thickness is important

You have to be able to fill teh bore tightly... :nerd:

there is a reason why 4" d i l d o s are not made

Cigar smoke? Aren't you worried about your car getting lung cancer or hooked?

Shoot, our cars are hooked on meth. Mine is even an alcoholic that favors corn. :) A little cigar smoke is no problem.

your post is full of WIN

Well call edelbrock, and sure enough the R.R.S.D is a special order unit.

I have placed an order to McMaster-Carr.com

while 10 rings cost $6.75

im sure the next day air will be $30+

..making progress!