NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Flood Damage Revival

gnemack

I too am impressed you made it this far. I am not sure if a repair shop would take on a project like this not knowing what all would be involved. Good luck though. :thumbs

At this point the answer is

a. Computer programing.

b. electrical wiring.

c. component testing

Isn't this what ALL newer car repairs are?

What is the issue?

Did you send a PM to ALLDUC to see if his buddy could help you out with his Tech2? $799 isn't that bad to buy one, but how often are you going to use it would be the question. I hope you get it done soon, looks like its gonna be nice when done.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gnemack

• Bigfoot

• ChadC

• Two Fangs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I too am impressed you made it this far. I am not sure if a repair shop would take on a project like this not knowing what all would be involved. Good luck though. :thumbs

At this point the answer is

a. Computer programing.

b. electrical wiring.

c. component testing

Isn't this what ALL newer car repairs are?

What is the issue?

I think you'll likely have to go to a dealership and have the programming flashed onto the computer(s), your average speed shop isn't going to have the programming or the hardware to do so. They have technology to re-calibrate existing programs but not do the actual flash which is what you likely need. Everything else on you list is well within the capabiity of an experienced independent mechanic with a Tech II and multimeter (I would think)

I am at that point. I agree with your thought. I still have a tech2 coming probably a month away. I have been doing all my own work for many years. Im just an old dinosaur from a time when things were repaired not replaced. I've too much $$$$ invested to not finish this. Going to talk with the guys over at Power Superstition springs to see what they can do. Not every repair shop has a tech2 This alone is the hard part on this,never would have thought that.

I'll disagree Jimbo. I took mine to a local speed shop (although I can't remember the name of it) to get my PCM flashed. It was an older shop that mostly specialized in older muscle.

I'll disagree Jimbo. I took mine to a local speed shop (although I can't remember the name of it) to get my PCM flashed. It was an older shop that mostly specialized in older muscle.

Heck yeah. Flashing is no big deal if you have HP tuners or EFI Live. However, just simply flashing to change things in the tune is a far cry from loading the entire memory from scratch. Neither program has access to all the parameters that GM used.

I should probably say that I'm not aware that flashing does or does not include all the parameters. I do know that the programs have limits on what they access.

HPT has a library of stock tunes free for the uploading. If that contains everything GM started with, then it's a simple thing to do.

Call Nic. He's the guru.

Not a good idea to try to use HPT to fix this...

They flashed it with (I believe) a Tech II. I think the previous owner may have tried some HP tuner or something else and made it run lean. Once I had hit flashed back to factory specs (plus updates) all was good.

Then of course I had NicD tune her up nice after that.

Guest badbobs95

OK, this may be of help and it may not. ECS, (East Coast Supercharging) lets you send them your C5 or C6 PCM to them along with your VIN# and they tune it there any way you want. It's $149 or $199 if the PCM didn't come off your car. Here is the link if you want to check it out. Remember, I only know 5% of what I say! Posted Image

http://www.eastcoast...Dynotuning.html

P.S. I'm sure this isn't the answer to your problem but he might offer a suggestion as to what is. I've talked to them, great guys.

Why?

Primarily because the car's former life as a u-boat more than likely compromised modules that cannot be accessed via the VCM interface.

There are communication, chassis, and body protocols that must communicate with the PCM or the car will not start. The only way to ensure you understand where the challenges lie is to be able to access the data that they are receiving and transmitting.

Unfortunately, the HP tuners VCM does not have the capability to perform this function.

Additionally, there is limited information about this car. Besides replacing a harness and some suspect modules, we do not know that a shorted module or unseen cross-short just pounded some brand new components that were just installed.

I wish the owner the best, but this one is going to be a handful, and costly to repair.

OK the car will be in the hands of Power Chevrolet Tomorrow. Have not had a manual trans since my 69 35 years ago. I hope it is still fun to bang some gears :partygrnhat:

Guest badbobs95

OK the car will be in the hands of Power Chevrolet Tomorrow. Have not had a manual trans since my 69 35 years ago. I hope it is still fun to bang some gears :partygrnhat:

I forgot how much fun a six speed was until I got Whitey. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image That's why I hardly ever drive Blacky except to car shows. When you accomplish something of this magnitude, you WILL say it was all worth it. Of course this project was way over my head! Posted Image And you saved another Corvette. Posted Image

Have you looked at PCM's For Less the have pre performance tuned ECM's for 225.00 you just send them yours and the ship a new one out to you or pay I think it's 375.00 and they will advance ship one out and refund you when they get your core.

Greg

Why?

Primarily because the car's former life as a u-boat more than likely compromised modules that cannot be accessed via the VCM interface.

There are communication, chassis, and body protocols that must communicate with the PCM or the car will not start. The only way to ensure you understand where the challenges lie is to be able to access the data that they are receiving and transmitting.

Unfortunately, the HP tuners VCM does not have the capability to perform this function.

Additionally, there is limited information about this car. Besides replacing a harness and some suspect modules, we do not know that a shorted module or unseen cross-short just pounded some brand new components that were just installed.

I wish the owner the best, but this one is going to be a handful, and costly to repair.

I suspected that when I posted earlier. I just didn't know if it was possible to pull a stock file from the HPT library and have it include all the parameters or just the configureable parameters that HPT can access.

A significant concern would be if the car was running under power and dropped into a low spot and flooded out, or if it was just stationary with most systems powered down during rising flood waters.

The F55 module is above the waterline, but not the shocks and travel sensors. That system also ties into the car wheel speed sensors and the steering wheel position. So a corruption in the F55 arena, basically corrupts the AH system too, which in turn corrupts the ABS.

Impressive. Your perseverance is inspiring to say the least... :thumbs interesting thread.

Why?

I suspected that when I posted earlier. I just didn't know if it was possible to pull a stock file from the HPT library and have it include all the parameters or just the configureable parameters that HPT can access.

A significant concern would be if the car was running under power and dropped into a low spot and flooded out, or if it was just stationary with most systems powered down during rising flood waters.

The F55 module is above the waterline, but not the shocks and travel sensors. That system also ties into the car wheel speed sensors and the steering wheel position. So a corruption in the F55 arena, basically corrupts the AH system too, which in turn corrupts the ABS.

We absolutely agree. The opportunities for body components to be fried is just too great, even if they are powered down, they still have voltage applied. This thing needs an incredibly large amount of time spent just checking for potential cross shorts and abnormal resistance readings far in advance of worrying about putting modules in it.

The sea 6 is off to dry dock at Power Chevrolet SuperstitionSprings we will have an answer soon post-1728-096026100 1330564160.jpg

after all this time you haven't said a word about your 427 engine swap into your 07' black vert.

not may people here have done that mod. did you have any problems with the Reluctor wheel timing?

Posted Image

wow I'm impressed, i havnt seen this much ambition before. i absolutely love working with electrical, its the before and after that is the most rewarding. for a little tip, its not just the initial water damage thats the problem its that the moisture gets places where it cant dry fast and causes corrosion on terminals, inside modules, sensors ect, just be prepared for that in the future and it wouldnt be a bad idea to check on connections just in case. best of luck to you i look forward to seeing this project become a success :thumbs

wow I'm impressed, i havnt seen this much ambition before. i absolutely love working with electrical, its the before and after that is the most rewarding. for a little tip, its not just the initial water damage thats the problem its that the moisture gets places where it cant dry fast and causes corrosion on terminals, inside modules, sensors ect, just be prepared for that in the future and it wouldnt be a bad idea to check on connections just in case. best of luck to you i look forward to seeing this project become a success :thumbs

That is the main reason I spent 1400+ on a new wiring harness. Every thing under the car is made to survive getting wet and looked as new.

The service advisor told me that the car did not look like what he expected it to . Said it looks and smells new. The tech had a wireless communication device hooked to the car today. My guess it is on star protocol. Something that cannot be done with a tech2. They are up beat about getting this fish on dry land . Not bad for a not too bright old man :partydance:

after all this time you haven't said a word about your 427 engine swap into your 07' black vert.

not may people here have done that mod. did you have any problems with the Reluctor wheel timing?

Posted Image

I'd suspect the bigger issue on that swap is the dry sump. Although in this case, reducing the exhaust size down to get past the A6 and into the base mufflers must have been a task too. :facepalm:

Guest Sidewinder

Posted Image

Fellas, clearly it is displaying how many miles a tank the car is capable of....