Flood Damage Revival

gnemack

It's Yuma Rich Red, it can't be all that bad. :thumbs

And with a Cashmere interior looks great. I purchased a used BCM on Ebay, it needs to be flashed to my car. before I buy a tech2 Is there anyone around that can pre flash out of the car? and test my ECM to see if it is shot. From what I see on the net the tech 2 has many different components to test different systems, so before I buy something to only find out it needs more to do what I need. Ebay offers pre flashed ECMs . If theses two items revive this car you will have too much popcorn left. I do not see this as a long drawn out process,I'm in East Mesa

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gnemack

• Bigfoot

• ChadC

• Two Fangs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

looking better no signs of water in fuse box under hood......

doesent mean its working.

These cars use a CANN Bus tech. meaning there is ONE centeral nervious system that can talk to ANY part on the car.

This great for communicaiton, but with flood damage a short can send a spike upp the wire and fry every other cart in the chain.

Wether the part was submerged in water or not makes no difference if tis damaged.

BTW this CANN bus uses 'pulses' and 'timing' along the wire to communicate with each other. In your senaro the risk is one connecter has some junk on it.

that junk acts like a resisotr and slows down the 'timing' my nanoseconds. that slow down tells teh computer the part has failed and it will trigger a saftey protocol/limp home mode.

In reality the part is good, but a bad wire ANYWHERE in the ENTIRE CAR creates a false positive.

I do not see this as a long drawn out process,I'm in East Mesa

if you replace ONLY thoes 2 items (ECM BCM) and the car runs flawleselly for 500 miles ill eat my hat and buy you a beer.

I see this as a very painfull drawn out process.

There are doesens of parts that are still under the 'water' line that will nee to be replaced.

impact sensors, lateral sensors, door modules are the first that come to mind.

EDIT: I dont mean to come off as a Negative Nancy, this can be a labor of love as long you know what you are getting your self into.

P.S just because tis used from Ebay doesent mean it works. People strip cars and sell the flood damage parts on ebay too

P.P.S: reviewing my CANN Bus post above remember you can install a new working part in the car, and a damaged part can still sent a spike up that Pipe and break your brand new freshely installed part

Have you pulled the plugs to see if any water got in the cylinders?

Do you know how far the car was submerged?

top of motor shows NO signs of water.

What I thought was the ecm turned out to be the Bose amplifier.. so where is the ECM?

The car has drawn 1st blood. no turning back now.

coil packs and injectors look good

m

Motor will turn by hand, socket on alternator.

pulled plugs A ok

Got to keep positive tackle one problem at a time.

looking better no signs of water in fuse box under hood......

doesent mean its working.

These cars use a CANN Bus tech. meaning there is ONE centeral nervious system that can talk to ANY part on the car.

This great for communicaiton, but with flood damage a short can send a spike upp the wire and fry every other cart in the chain.

Wether the part was submerged in water or not makes no difference if tis damaged.

BTW this CANN bus uses 'pulses' and 'timing' along the wire to communicate with each other. In your senaro the risk is one connecter has some junk on it.

that junk acts like a resisotr and slows down the 'timing' my nanoseconds. that slow down tells teh computer the part has failed and it will trigger a saftey protocol/limp home mode.

In reality the part is good, but a bad wire ANYWHERE in the ENTIRE CAR creates a false positive.

Good advice, now the question is how to test system wiring before new parts are added. The Ebay seller is a salvage yard with a guarantee part works again, thanks for your valuable input.

Shorts on the CAN (Controller Area Network) Bus may occur, but voltage spikes in the system are unlikely. Much more likely is high amperage damage caused by the low resistance condition created by the short. Using good old fashioned detective work on the bus wires along with a high impedance meter is my suggestion.

Shorts on the CAN (Controller Area Network) Bus may occur, but voltage spikes in the system are unlikely. Much more likely is high amperage damage caused by the low resistance condition created by the short. Using good old fashioned detective work on the bus wires along with a high impedance meter is my suggestion.

going to try soaking corroded connectors in white vinegar to get rid of oxidation Ill let you all know how this works

You are 100% correct i was trying to over simplfy, because I was on my iphone and being lazy.

Good advice, now the question is how to test system wiring before new parts are added. The Ebay seller is a salvage yard with a guarantee part works again, thanks for your valuable input.

if you havent already buy the GM shop manuals and the GM Tech 2 from ebay.

That will give you a startign point.

location of ECM....Behind the right fender. Accessed through the wheelhouse liner

Thanks will look at it tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed :crazy :crazy

Are you able to discern by removing the door panels and looking at the inside of the doors or other covered areas that were not cleaned to discern the water line?

Ok I have to ask... with those electric doors and the only release handle I know of being inside it... how the hell are you getting in it?

Ok I have to ask... with those electric doors and the only release handle I know of being inside it... how the hell are you getting in it?

You can use a key to open the back hatch and then inside by the wheel well is the emergency door release.

Easy use your key to open the rear hatch you will find the key hole above the rear license plate on the drivers side, behind the wheel well, under the carpet you will find manual release cords for drivers side door and gas tank . Once inside you can open the passengers side with the manual release found on the floor between the seat and the door there are two one for each side.

location of ECM....Behind the right fender. Accessed through the wheelhouse liner

Thanks will look at it tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed :crazy :crazy

E.c.m. and every thing else under the car looks better than my 07, no signs of abnormal corrosion aluminum lines under condenser are pristine.

Where in town can I get the e.c.m. bench tested to see if it is still good?

I cannot post in the for sale/wanted yet so forgive me for posting here I want to purchase a TECH 2 GM SCAN TOOL If you know of one for sale, I'm a buyer :thankyou:

I cannot post in the for sale/wanted yet so forgive me for posting here I want to purchase a TECH 2 GM SCAN TOOL If you know of one for sale, I'm a buyer :thankyou:

you will get to the 25 minum post count soon enough bud.

call LPM they might have a line on a Tech 2 (just a guess). If they do and they are able to get the latest t software be sure to give them a little bit of cake for their effort.

my first guess would to look on Ebay. there are lots of them on their.

you will get to the 25 minum post count soon enough bud.

call LPM they might have a line on a Tech 2 (just a guess). If they do and they are able to get the latest t software be sure to give them a little bit of cake for their effort.

my first guess would to look on Ebay. there are lots of them on their.

At 63 years young, that is mister bud. Spent the day looking at every pawn shop for a scanner. no luck

All I can say is WOW and I have lots of popcorn ready for this thread. Good luck to ya and keep us posted!

X2

X3

X4, but I'd throw in a comment about DI water as opposed to distilled...

OK DI water would be no problem if I were still a tech at Motorola. other than mail order where can I get some?