Flood Damage Revival

gnemack

Help I have a 08 flood car that is D.O.A. all the floorboard electronics got wet and are covered in crud The car is from North Carolina and may be salt water. Will electronics ie. B.c.m interchange without a tech 2 Nothing works at all with a good battery no lights dash, no life.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gnemack

• Bigfoot

• ChadC

• Two Fangs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:funnypost: Wow, don't know what any of us can offer on that problem. The main thing that a salt water flooded car does is rust out the car immediately. With in days you can look behind the rubber that is on the door and you will see rust starting to form. This is the salt starting to eat away at the metal on your car body. Salt water damages your electrical connections in your car real bad. With in days the electric motors are trash. Fresh water flood damage is bad but no where near the same as salt water. With fresh water you can drain the all of your vehicles fluids, replace all the filters, and more then likely your vehicle will start an you will be able to drive it. I don't know of any junk yards that will purchase known salt water flooded cars. The damage is just too severe. GL

Mods, can we help this guy hit his first thread on this subject, and maybe move it to Technical/repair?

You bought a car that had been in a flood?

Yes I did the car is a low milage <20K. leather in seats show no sign of water. not looking to get rid of it I want to bring it back to life.

Guest Sidewinder

Did the car run when you bought it? I mean did you actually hear it run? Not trying to be a smart ass but I believe you may be in for an electrical nightmare. If all of your control modules were underwater at one time, and salt water to boot, get ready to buy some new electronics and start connector scrubbin.

Threads merged... Lets see where it goes before moving it. If the new member decides to really try to revive his 08 then I think it would be a great tech thread if he includes pictures and his adventures...

I hope someone gave you this car. An 08 is probably worth maybe low 30's and my guess is you're gonna have at least that in it once you buy everything you'll need to get it operable and then I'd always worry about it's dependability factor. Good Luck!

I say your best bet is find a wrecked parts car and start changing ALL electrical items. How far up did the water get? If the water got into the dash area your in for a workout, but if you have the time it can be rebuilt. In HS back 73 in OH. Lake Erie flooded big time. Three of us guys in auto shop bought flood cars. I got a 69 340 Dart Swinger. I got an interior from a Dart, seats, rubber floor a few gauges and I had a nice car. But back then NOT any Computer Junk.

Did the car run when you bought it? I mean did you actually hear it run?

Not trying to be a smart ass but I believe you may be in for an electrical nightmare.

If all of your control modules were underwater at one time, and salt water to boot, get ready to buy some new electronics and start connector scrubbin.

I have been an electrician for many many years Electronics do not scare me. This was expected. Figure3d it was better than getting a wreck and fixing it. Had to replace the left quarter and rear bumper on my 07 vert, After it is all said and done I figure to be in it less than $30k. I'm retired with nothing to do, not anymore.

post-1728-073864200 1321485782.jpg

Mods, can we help this guy hit his first thread on this subject, and maybe move it to Technical/repair?

Twenty more postings and I can get there myself :partydance:

Eugene first off Welcome to ACE. next it sounds like you know what you are infor. While daunting it could be fun.. a labor of love If it were me i would GUT the interior. and then take every electral part outand clean it. If you are eletronic savy, then you can clean it reassemble and test. I would invest in a GM tech 2 ($1200?) it can run Diag on each conponent so you can check and see what is working. I for see that car being up in the air and you getting super CLEAN distilled water and rinsing the lower interior cabin out.

I say your best bet is find a wrecked parts car and start changing ALL electrical items.

How far up did the water get? If the water got into the dash area your in for a workout, but if you have the time it can be rebuilt.

In HS back 73 in OH. Lake Erie flooded big time. Three of us guys in auto shop bought flood cars. I got a 69 340 Dart Swinger. I got an

interior from a Dart, seats, rubber floor a few gauges and I had a nice car. But back then NOT any Computer Junk.

Doesn't look like it got above the console the leather still smells like leather should and has not shrunk, telling me water did not get that high

Eugene first off Welcome to ACE.

next it sounds like you know what you are infor. While daunting it could be fun.. a labor of love

If it were me

i would GUT the interior.

and then take every electral part outand clean it. If you are eletronic savy, then you can clean it reassemble and test.

I would invest in a GM tech 2 ($1200?) it can run Diag on each conponent so you can check and see what is working.

I for see that car being up in the air and you getting super CLEAN distilled water and rinsing the lower interior cabin out.

looking better no signs of water in fuse box under hood.I have two tool boxes 1 for s.a.e the other for metric. Now it is inevitable a 3rd electronic tool box. Otherwise we are hostage to the dealer,I won't comment on that. A tech 2 is a necessary tool for todays cars a gtood investment, Eb** here I come.

All I can say is WOW and I have lots of popcorn ready for this thread. Good luck to ya and keep us posted!

X2

X3

Chad's got a pretty good point.

Hey Eugene, Sounds like a fun project especially if you have the ability to take your time on it :thumbs I would be interested to hear how it progresses.

All I can say is WOW and I have lots of popcorn ready for this thread. Good luck to ya and keep us posted!

X2

X3

Chad's got a pretty good point.

X4, but I'd throw in a comment about DI water as opposed to distilled...