NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

1/2 Mile roll racing event in Gila Bend December 13-14, 2014

FNBADAZ06

That 800 written on the window was crank HP, mine had 460 on it... :whoopdeedo:

My best was 142.49 launched from behind the cones (which added about 25 yards to the run)

My average runs from 40 or less at the cones was 139's...

I felt like a small fish in a really big pond out there :lol

I always thought my Z06 was fast, but very true feeling like a small fish in a big pond - there was a lot of fast cars out there. The old saying there is always someone faster, well unless you were that 207 MPH Porsche

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Desertdawg

• ZZZ0006

• SLAMMER

• Unreal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

80-1213141357_768c4bf898a8b43534eda687b4

How much confidence do you have in a car when you have to bring THE WHOLE Rollaway box to the track??

That 800 written on the window was crank HP, mine had 460 on it... :whoopdeedo:

My best was 142.49 launched from behind the cones (which added about 25 yards to the run)

My average runs from 40 or less at the cones was 139's...

I felt like a small fish in a really big pond out there :lol

Dawg, were you the fastest PUMPKIN at the event?

I think I was the slowest pumpkin there, but that's still faster than you :lol

Ya these events humble you really quick. The TT gallardo went 208.52 on sun, he than started giving rides left and right lol. I got a ride in one of the Mclaren's which was fun. Some of you should come check out the shifts3ctor stuff and watch the guy's hit 230 mph in a standing 1/2... it's insane lol.

Hard to compete with AWD cars out there.

Fastest car was TT Gallardo by DP, followed by the Porsche, then the other TT Gallardo.

Fastest RWD car, not sure.

Fastest Vette, I think I took that, but not sure. I should have stayed and start putting some power back in it as it warmed up, but on my lowest possible power setting I did 177.6mph from a 35ish roll from the cones. People started punching it way early driving the MPH way up, so it is hard to really compare times.

By the end of the week I'll have my oil cap issues and belt fixed and would be confident I have a solid 180+ car.

I think I took the title of fastest car actually driven to the event then driven home. That makes me happy :)

I think I was the slowest pumpkin there, but that's still faster than you :lol

Not too sure about that. If I had gone the number on my window would have been around 530 and of course being red would automatically make it faster than any similar powered ORANGE pumpkin! But since I will never race my car you can go ahead and believe yours is faster. :facepalm:

How good was the spectating?

It sounds like they either need to have a standing start, OR, have a speed trap at the starting cones so everyone can know what the launch speed was in comparison to the finish line speed.

But, I do understand this is a fun event and not a competition, but jumping the start to get a higher trap speed seems to defeat the purpose. It sure looked fun and hopefully I can go to the next one.

It was just plain fun watching the cars race as it was running your own car. Most people did an equal speed roll to the starting cones, so for the most part speeds were consistent.

My observations

It wasn't drag racing, I found it difficult to get to the line at 40mph at the same time as the car next to me, most of the time I saw 37 to 41 as I punched it while the car next to me was either ahead or behind at the cones, it's a hard balancing act in that short of a distance.

I never did a standing start (dig), what it turned into was a quick roll into the throttle in the first 30 or 40 feet, this usually got me wheel spin in second before the cones.

We were told at the driver meeting that the 40 mph start was negotiable between drivers, as I pulled into staging I was trying to match up with someone with similar HP, then I would ask the guy next to me what they wanted to do.

If your trying to figure out where you might fit into the field you need to + ot - 10 mph off what you see since there are so many varibles out there, traction, launch speed, shifting, etc...

So glad to see so many people out there! We had a blast and are already working w/ Tony to sponsor the next event, trying to line it up w/ the 1320video event in the spring so it's once huge crossover epic weekend!

Can't answer on what will be allowed at the next event. Since nothing is setup yet, but they did allow them to run this time.

Amazing how you can have that many cars run all day, and almost no failures, but you goto a dragstrip and track gets oil'ed down 3-4 times a night.

Working on more traction now. Already pulled valve covers to get issue #1 fixed.

Can't answer on what will be allowed at the next event. Since nothing is setup yet, but they did allow them to run this time.

Amazing how you can have that many cars run all day, and almost no failures, but you goto a dragstrip and track gets oil'ed down 3-4 times a night.

Working on more traction now. Already pulled valve covers to get issue #1 fixed.

I was saying the same thing about going to the drag strip, oil on track, long lines, maybe get 2 to 4 runs in a night. This event flowed great all day, I made I think 12 or so passes.

I think I ran more than 20 times, only had to wait about 15 minutes once, usually 5 minutes was max wait time.

I felt like I spent half the day in the car, and the other half in the pits wishing for more cowbell...

Believe it or not, Victor actually made an appearance, but not with his car. Baby steps right Victor.

So he got a kitchen pass but she took the Vette shopping. :lol

so are convertibles allowed without roll bars ?

My 01 C5 was allowed also.

What did your vert run?

I was saying the same thing about going to the drag strip, oil on track, long lines, maybe get 2 to 4 runs in a night. This event flowed great all day, I made I think 12 or so passes.

If you paid $200 as your share of a track rental, You could easily get a dozen or more runs on a dragstrip and limit the chances of ricer breakage. The $$$'s are the difference as to who and how many play.

We talked about that, and if you can do a day rental at wildhorse for $200 I'm in, but I don't think even that is possible.

We talked about that, and if you can do a day rental at wildhorse for $200 I'm in, but I don't think even that is possible.

I would be in as well, I liked it better when SpeedWorld was still open. Have not been to Firebird now Wildhorse in years, but it used to suck waiting in line for hours to get a run in.

But, a drag strip isn't a half mile, so your speeds will still be limited.

I still enjoyed the Hell out of the autocross.

I enjoyed doing the 1/2 mile way better than doing the 1/4 mile, I have been drag racing for 20+years.