NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Parts for El Superbeasto Starting to Arrive

Two Fangs

Just f'n awesome Micheal can't wait to see her in person! :ED: And thanks for sharing your build. :thumbs

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Two Fangs

• Bigfoot

• Ted Y

• FNBADAZ06

Man that is a nice bit of syncopated music :) I would love hearin it run up thru first a bit in a parkin garage ... *ALL* the car alarms would sing their praises! -grin- -Frank aka GE

Thanks, Victor! Steve, my overly-sinewed friend, it most certainly does exist. Without getting crazy into techie talk, I was monitoring the torque production on a couple of short and mild test runs on a closed course near Lake Minnetonka and also the overlay of the camshaft and crankshaft signals to the PCM on my DSO. I am going to move the cam about two degrees this weekend and button it up for good. Shortly after that, I hope to have pics and make a public appearance. :armed:

Thanks, Victor!

Steve, my overly-sinewed friend, it most certainly does exist.

Without getting crazy into techie talk, I was monitoring the torque production on a couple of short and mild test runs on a closed course near Lake Minnetonka and also the overlay of the camshaft and crankshaft signals to the PCM on my DSO. I am going to move the cam about two degrees this weekend and button it up for good. Shortly after that, I hope to have pics and make a public appearance. :armed:

aaahhhh.....Lake Minnetonka. I've used that closed course track a few times as well :smilelol

Dumb question...how does one look at camshaft signals ? I know the crankshaft signal.....is there a sensor for camshaft lobe position as well in a non VVT motor ?

which way are you going with the cam.....advanced ?

I use a dual trace Digital Storage Oscilloscope (DSO) and just capture the voltage signals going to the PCM. I pay particularly close attention to how the cam and crank voltage signals relate to one another. Sadly, I cannot phase the cam using software, since it is not VVT as you stated, so I have to dig in and change the eccentric on the adjustable gear. I am going to advance the cam two degrees, and that is where it will stay. I hope. I am tired of putting stuff together and taking it apart again. :banghead

Cool !!!! :thumbs Katech recommended if I wanted to trade a bit of peak power (approx. 6-8 HP) for a boost in midrange torque (approx. 6-8 ft/lbs), I could advance the cam +4 degrees. They in fact now offer a 110 +4 Torquer cam, along with the standard 110....and a 116.

Victor, your cam is probably getting rusty by now just sitting on a shelf waiting to be installed.

Victor, your cam is probably getting rusty by now just sitting on a shelf waiting to be installed.

:smilelol But it looks so purdy sitting on my countertop :)

Take the front of the engine apart and put it in. If I can do it, you can do it.

Take the front of the engine apart and put it in. If I can do it, you can do it.

:rockon2: I still need the PSI beehive springs, titanium retainers, etc.

Then I figured while it was apart I'd stick a blue Katech high volume oil pump in her, and maybe have the valve guides checked and replaced with bronze units if appropriate.

BUT....the Money tree isn't blooming this year :banghead

I've got a brand new set of 918's sitting in my garage. Along with barely used pushrods, double roller timing chain, head studs, etc.

I've got a brand new set of 918's sitting in my garage. Along with barely used pushrods, double roller timing chain, head studs, etc.

With a spec of 220 / 244 @ .050, .615 / .648 lift, 110 LSA , I don't think the 918's are recommended for anything over .600 lift for LS1-LS6 motors ?

The PSI-LS1511 springs are the lightweight springs that Katech uses on ALL their engine packages....with Spintron data to back up their selection. While a more expensive spring, the durability and valve control appear to be second to none.

I missed out on a gonga deal in the sale section on CF for a complete new set of 1511's, matching titanium keepers, locks, retainers, and valve seals......all for $400 !!!! :banghead

Snooze, ya lose :(

Spend the money on valve springs that have been spintron tested. Do not skimp.

and he probably lubes it every day with some loving stokes ...... oh wait ......... Posted ImagePosted Image

and he probably lubes it every day with some loving stokes ...... oh wait ......... Posted ImagePosted Image

I'd post some pics of this, but it would probably get me banned :smilelol

Jason at Katech didn't have any specific video of their test, but he sent me this one which shows a similar test with the same testing gear. This test went to 12K RPM I think....

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=MonA6XcweTk&feature=player_embedded

I thought I might win some freebee springs and such for posting this test back from 2008, but Jason just laughed...but he did thank me for posting it and backing him up on his post on the big board. I'm not sure he even new this test and article existed :lol

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0805gmhtp_hydraulic_valvetrain_performance/viewall.html