NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

For sale: EVERYTHING

Ted Y

Here is how I personally would break it down.

1. No banner ads on the forum

2. Keep for sale section the way it is with the requirements staying what they currently are.

3. Mods watch for sale section and if it looks like a business remove said thread and it goes to Vendor area.

4. Have a seperate vendor area that you wont see unless you go into it (no banner ads)

5. Vendors make a "donation" to Ace for posting their ads and specials, with a maximum set for how many items can be posted per month.

6. ACE posts a disclaimer that they do not promote any said vendors, basically use at your own risk.

7. Pay Moderators a large monthly salary with benefits and paid vacations. (yeah I didn't think that one would work)

Again, I don't care how this goes down, but Cherye I think item #5 isn't a good idea for serveral reasons IMO. One, it would start looking like the rest of the corvette forums with vendors. Even though it would be a donation, IMO its still that vendor extortion fee that all forums want you to pay to be a vendor. Two, once money is involved, I think ACE reaches a whole new level of risk if things go bad. Again, this is just my opinion, others will vary. :)

That's why I stated no banner ads! And why would it be an extortion fee if you pay a small amount to post in the Vendor section?

I'm sorry Cherye, but I'm missing what you mean by that. It doesn't matter if there are banners or not, it will still look like the other sites with vendors plastered all over the place trying to sell something. I guess if you made it so you would "have" to go into that section to see sales, then maybe, but the money thing is still a bad idea IMO. Dwayne is correct.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jstrutt

• wickedfastvette

• Desertdawg

• FNBADAZ06

wickedfastvette

2. Keep for sale section the way it is with the requirements staying what they currently are.

3. Mods watch for sale section and if it looks like a business remove said thread and it goes to Vendor area.

4. Have a seperate vendor area that you wont see unless you go into it (no banner ads)

5. Vendors make a "donation" to Ace for posting their ads and specials, with a maximum set for how many items can be posted per month.

6. ACE posts a disclaimer that they do not promote any said vendors, basically use at your own risk.

7. Pay Moderators a large monthly salary with benefits and paid vacations. (yeah I didn't think that one would work)

Again, I don't care how this goes down, but Cherye I think item #5 isn't a good idea for serveral reasons IMO. One, it would start looking like the rest of the corvette forums with vendors. Even though it would be a donation, IMO its still that vendor extortion fee that all forums want you to pay to be a vendor. Two, once money is involved, I think ACE reaches a whole new level of risk if things go bad. Again, this is just my opinion, others will vary. :)

That's why I stated no banner ads! And why would it be an extortion fee if you pay a small amount to post in the Vendor section?

I'm sorry Cherye, but I'm missing what you mean by that. It doesn't matter if there are banners or not, it will still look like the other sites with vendors plastered all over the place trying to sell something. I guess if you made it so you would "have" to go into that section to see sales, then maybe, but the money thing is still a bad idea IMO. Dwayne is correct.

Tom banner ads are the annoying ads you see posted all over the other forum, and yes they would have to be in a section that you would have to go into.

Dawg is correct and I agree with the "money" thing. But I don't see anything wrong with a seperate section. Then again, we get back to membership, number of posts, activity with functions, etc. My brain (what's left of it) is tired. :lol:cheers

wickedfastvette

Dawg is correct and I agree with the "money" thing. But I don't see anything wrong with a seperate section. Then again, we get back to membership, number of posts, activity with functions, etc. My brain (what's left of it) is tired. :lol:cheers

Ditto.........we dont get paid so we dont need their stinkin money, but they could give the mods a really really good deal.

Ditto.........we dont get paid so we dont need their stinkin money, but they could give the mods a really really good deal.

And women think men are bad.............geesh.

wickedfastvette

Another option is to do a trial run on a vendor section for say 60 days and then evalute how it worked out and go from there.

Another option is to do a trial run on a vendor section for say 60 days and then evalute how it worked out and go from there.

That would probably work if you have a dedicated mod just for that. After the trial Admin could decide what direction to go in or place it to the Membership as a poll. At that point we all live with what is decided or pack our bags and catch the next bus.

I'm confused.??????????????? I am sort of a "vendor" that is also a "Supporting Member" as I donate to ACE often, so what is the difference?

John, if we charge a vendor fee to let them advertise (by opening a thread to sell) then we are telling our members we approve of this vendor and sort of suggest they are good for what is posted.

You don't support ACE as "Mr. Strutts Diecast Corvette's and Sexual Devices". you support ACE as a member!

THERE WILL BE NO BANNER ADS! I don't know how that was brought up but let me squash it now!

Add another forum, label it ACE Sales and let members advertise there. Leave the topic blank so you can't see it if you don't click on it. If your don't want to look at it then don't. Marco can offer to build you a bar for $X, Tom can put C3 stuff up, Robert can give detail specials, 1sik can sell stuff for his side business, LPM specials, Ed with CTSV's for sale etc etc. Going overboard a little but I think it may solve the For Sale section spamming that's been going on.

So let's try this idea!

Answer these questions please

1. What shall we call the new section?

2. if we charge a fee can a disclaimer be worded to protect ACE from disputes? (I only play a lawyer on TV)

3. Will outside vendors (i.e. Ecklers, Chevron, Circuit City) be allowed to join and advertise? Were do we draw the line??

I'm sure there are more questions but I can't think of them right now!

Only Vendors will be allowed to start new threads, and they will have to be approved by the mods/admins to become a vendor.

Those interested in being a vendor like 1Sikvette, Strutt, Dave, Chad... anyone else...

If we decide to charge how does $60 a year sound? ($5.00 a month)(we can pro-rate to the end of the year to keep this easy)

Mark and Cherye have offered to oversee this so we can see how it goes for a few months and tweak it from there!

JNMMotorsports

The problem I have with paying a sponsorship on this site is that I don't sell enough on here (nobody buys my shit lol). I think I might of sold between 4-8 items in the past few years lol. I know some sites charge over 300 to be a sponsor but those are national sites that get a lot of traffic which makes it worth it. I honestly list my items on here for two reasons, the first being that I don't have to deal with shipping which isn't even that bad and 2nd, I like to be able to give the locals a great deal. In my honest opinion I think it's great to be able to find good deals locally. I highly doubt this site would ever get overwhelmed with vendors considering it's a site for AZ Corvette owners (not national). I feel like this subject is getting more attention than is needed. Why would anyone that likes to mod their car not like having someone post great deals? I think the moderators on this site should just watch over the site and if it gets out of hand deal with it then. All I know is that if I can't sell on here anymore it's not going to effect me in anyway. I'll respect whatever you guys decide but I think the majority should rule. The people demand that 1SikVette continues to sell. :partydance:

JNMMotorsports

Add another forum, label it ACE Sales and let members advertise there. Leave the topic blank so you can't see it if you don't click on it. If your don't want to look at it then don't. Marco can offer to build you a bar for $X, Tom can put C3 stuff up, Robert can give detail specials, 1sik can sell stuff for his side business, LPM specials, Ed with CTSV's for sale etc etc. Going overboard a little but I think it may solve the For Sale section spamming that's been going on.

So let's try this idea!

Answer these questions please

1. What shall we call the new section?

2. if we charge a fee can a disclaimer be worded to protect ACE from disputes? (I only play a lawyer on TV)

3. Will outside vendors (i.e. Ecklers, Chevron, Circuit City) be allowed to join and advertise? Were do we draw the line??

I'm sure there are more questions but I can't think of them right now!

Only Vendors will be allowed to start new threads, and they will have to be approved by the mods/admins to become a vendor.

Those interested in being a vendor like 1Sikvette, Strutt, Dave, Chad... anyone else...

If we decide to charge how does $60 a year sound? ($5.00 a month)(we can pro-rate to the end of the year to keep this easy)

Mark and Cherye have offered to oversee this so we can see how it goes for a few months and tweak it from there!

Sorry, I made my post before reading this. If it comes to it I don't think $60 a year would be bad. I have a question for you guys, so are we really going to start charging a vendor fee just because 2-3 members (out of how many?) don't like the idea of me and few others selling on here?

So your sayin Dave chains you up...................

Yes I am !!!

Looks like Mike's been hittin' the brake cleaner again.

Agreed :thumbs No fees

Vendor only area, grand father the current membership/vendors into that section, any new membership into that area must get mod approval (based on criteria of active membership). If a new member shows up and immediatley request access to the vendor section, that should ring alarm bells that can be addressed by the mods.

Guest LOUDMIKE

Vendor only area, grand father the current membership/vendors into that section, any new membership into that area must get mod approval (based on criteria of active membership). If a new member shows up and immediatley request access to the vendor section, that should ring alarm bells that can be addressed by the mods.

:partygrnhat::partygrnhat::partygrnhat:

oooh haaaaa haaaaaa. I just found 55 gallons of brake cleaner lovliness!! bazinnng baziiinnnnn bazinnnnnnng

:partygrnhat::partygrnhat::partygrnhat:

oooh haaaaa haaaaaa. I just found 55 gallons of brake cleaner lovliness!! bazinnng baziiinnnnn bazinnnnnnng

SaaaaWEET !!!! Can you use it as a car wash as well ? :lol

Couple of notes from a Jeep board I belong to that seem to work well. Forum "sponsors" are the only one permitted to post in the vendor-specific for sale section. In this case it seems as though the forum is going in a direction that the for sale section will remain for the members-at-large to post the occasional (whatever that turns out to be) parts for sale, etc. while the Vendor forum will be comprised of those that use the forum for business purposes. The vendor forum can list items for sale as much as they would like but no one else can post there and all communication regarding that post is via PM. This seems to work well so that the forum is not continously bombarded with "bump" posts etc. and negotiations et al are done off the board much like the way a business transaction would take place in person. I don't really see the liability issue for ACE since you are not the ones listing the items for the Vendor. If a member chooses to do business with one of the sponsors without doing their due-diligence then there is tons of case law (see anything related to rip-off report.com) that the messenger is the responsible party and websites that host individually claimed complaints, etc. are in no way liable for what is posted on that website. Not saying that people still won't give stuff like this a shot but as of now, there has not been an instance where the hosting entity of a bulletin board, chat room, etc. were held liable for individual posts, business deals gone bad or other nonsense. There are probably tons of instances online where you can find a solid disclaimer for an added sense of security to post at the top of the forum but putting the transaction to PM rather than out in the open of the board will take care of many of the threats that occured with the AZPS issue. As always, caveat emptor.

wickedfastvette

Couple of notes from a Jeep board I belong to that seem to work well.

Forum "sponsors" are the only one permitted to post in the vendor-specific for sale section. In this case it seems as though the forum is going in a direction that the for sale section will remain for the members-at-large to post the occasional (whatever that turns out to be) parts for sale, etc. while the Vendor forum will be comprised of those that use the forum for business purposes. The vendor forum can list items for sale as much as they would like but no one else can post there and all communication regarding that post is via PM. This seems to work well so that the forum is not continously bombarded with "bump" posts etc. and negotiations et al are done off the board much like the way a business transaction would take place in person.

I don't really see the liability issue for ACE since you are not the ones listing the items for the Vendor. If a member chooses to do business with one of the sponsors without doing their due-diligence then there is tons of case law (see anything related to rip-off report.com) that the messenger is the responsible party and websites that host individually claimed complaints, etc. are in no way liable for what is posted on that website. Not saying that people still won't give stuff like this a shot but as of now, there has not been an instance where the hosting entity of a bulletin board, chat room, etc. were held liable for individual posts, business deals gone bad or other nonsense.

There are probably tons of instances online where you can find a solid disclaimer for an added sense of security to post at the top of the forum but putting the transaction to PM rather than out in the open of the board will take care of many of the threats that occured with the AZPS issue.

As always, caveat emptor.

That's what I've been trying to say here, thanks for posting that.

Guest Sidewinder

Now those sound like good constructive ideas.

I'm not too keen on charging a vendor. I'm not sure we have the resources to even attempt that nor have knowledge of the legality of it all. After all, ACE is not a business itself.

I definitely think that if ACE is going in the direction of letting vendors post, they need a separate section and that is the ONLY place they are allowed to post their wares.

Mark, there was no thread indicating me becoming a global mod. Hell, I didn't even know until I saw "extra" stuff in my window. I asked Dawg what the hell it was and he said, "Oh yeah, BTW..." :lol

More power to you guys wanting to step up and moderate a vendor section. :clap

No I was just bustin your nads dude. I guess I forgot one of these guys :partydance:

It was along the lines of "Welcome to the Whitehouse, Now fix the budget!" :lol

As far as my activity, I've been attending ACE events since 2004 I believe, even before I was a member. :thumbs

Mark, I have openly stated I agree with you more than once. That said, I agree with Sean that the majority has spoken. That is how ACE works!

Eddie, the majority has already spoken on this matter, about 2 years ago, you were in that discussion and if I remeber correctly you voted a solid NO to businesses posted in the for sale section. Correct?

Correct, but ACE is ever evolving. We have gained a number of new members and a number of "old timers" have chosen to become less active.

Very true, some have even left and came back haha.

And some just quit :lol

Good one!!

Guest Sidewinder

Couple of notes from a Jeep board I belong to that seem to work well.

Forum "sponsors" are the only one permitted to post in the vendor-specific for sale section. In this case it seems as though the forum is going in a direction that the for sale section will remain for the members-at-large to post the occasional (whatever that turns out to be) parts for sale, etc. while the Vendor forum will be comprised of those that use the forum for business purposes. The vendor forum can list items for sale as much as they would like but no one else can post there and all communication regarding that post is via PM. This seems to work well so that the forum is not continously bombarded with "bump" posts etc. and negotiations et al are done off the board much like the way a business transaction would take place in person.

I don't really see the liability issue for ACE since you are not the ones listing the items for the Vendor. If a member chooses to do business with one of the sponsors without doing their due-diligence then there is tons of case law (see anything related to rip-off report.com) that the messenger is the responsible party and websites that host individually claimed complaints, etc. are in no way liable for what is posted on that website. Not saying that people still won't give stuff like this a shot but as of now, there has not been an instance where the hosting entity of a bulletin board, chat room, etc. were held liable for individual posts, business deals gone bad or other nonsense.

There are probably tons of instances online where you can find a solid disclaimer for an added sense of security to post at the top of the forum but putting the transaction to PM rather than out in the open of the board will take care of many of the threats that occured with the AZPS issue.

As always, caveat emptor.

That's what I've been trying to say here, thanks for posting that.

Sounds good to me

Like Dawg said we can tweak it as it goes

NO BANNER ADS

1Sik, this isn't about you. This about others, along with yourself, being able to offer goods and services be it window tinting, Die casts, computer/networking services, clear bras (both kinds :smilelol ), whole cars (not dealers), dyno services, cam packages or used parts to ACE members in a "controlled" forum. ACE had this issue loong before you got here.

I volunteer to mod the For Sale and the new "ACE Deals" or "ACE Sales" section with Cherye. I think the two would go hand in hand and should be modded by the same members to omit confusion.

Let's do this :rockon2:

wickedfastvette

I'll set up the new section this evening, Are we going to charge vendors???

I dont care either way, but maybe a "free trial" for 30-60 days so they can try it out and we can work out the kinks, if they like it then set it up for pay.

Guest Sidewinder

I dont care either way, but maybe a "free trial" for 30-60 days so they can try it out and we can work out the kinks, if they like it then set it up for pay.

X2

Excellent :thumbs

I say "no" to the charge, but whatever the ACE membership thinks is cool with me :)

I'm in favor of the no charge rule.

BUT, I would like to see it a forum set up like the "Basement" (user option to view) that does not come up with "view new posts" refresh.

I don't think that's too much to ask for something provided for free.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.