The Karchner Cavern's Cruise.

Guest UVETTYA

Guest UVETTYA

This post contains everything you ever wanted to know about the Karchner Cavern's cruise...

All are invited to cruise with us, even if you choose not to tour the Caverns.

Date: Saturday, December 2nd.

Place: The 5 and Diner at Arizona Mills Mall on Baseline.

See MAP

Departure time: 09:30.

We'll make two pit stops, one in Picacho and the other at the Shell station in Tucson at exit #269. We'll meet the Tucson group there and pick up our picnic lunch at the Quiznos.

We'll have a picnic lunch when we arrive at the park around 12:30 PM. This will give us about 1 1/2 hrs to picnic and tour the visitor center. They offer a free short video before the tour if you so desire.

We have 23 reservations for the members listed below - all for the Big Room tour. Tour times are 2:15pm and 2:45pm. We'll split into two tour groups - 8 people on the first tour and 15 on the second.

We should leave the park around 4:30pm and be back in Phx by 7:30 if we drive the speed limit, like we always do. :yesnod

I have a PayPal account and those who have not paid, please send $22.95 per ticket to steven52@cox.net

All others can snail mail a check to Steven Nirk 11619 W. Bradshaw Mountain Ct. Surprise AZ 85374.

The following will be on the cruise...

Steve and Marylou

Robert [Paid]

David (DZNTSUK) +1

Chad C [Paid]

Dawg and Jammye [Paid]

Mike (Nort99) + 1 [Paid]

Sean and Stacie (Bigfoot99) [Paid]

Phil and +1 [Paid]

Dewey [Paid]

Ron + 1 [Paid]

Andrew and Melissa [Paid]

Tracy and Molly [Paid]

Dave and Dorothy

Gary and Jayne are cruising but not spelunking.

Cost?

Rotunda/Throne Room Tour: $18.95

Big Room Tour: $22.95

You can't take anything with you on the tour - no backpacks, water bottles, purses, cameras, etc. They provide lockers which require 4 quarters.

They have vending machines with sandwiches, chips, burritos and sodas.

It will probably be chilly outside but it's 80 degrees and humid in the cave so they recommend you dress appropriately for the tour.

There will be 5 walk-up tickets available for the Rotunda room. So come on out folks, it's never too late!

Looks like so far we'll have 12 cars on this cruise. This should be a lot of fun! Thanks everyone for participating. :thumbs

Steve

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nort99

• Bigfoot

• anmracing2

• dewey

Top Posters In This Topic

Sun Country CC makes this an annual cruise, they spend the night somewhere, I think. Included is a wine tasteing in Temecula (spelling) wine country. Never been, but those that went always enjoyed it...December, I believe there will be snow on the ground there...somewhere :yesnod

3,503 lbs of trouble

Somebody better call ahead and make sure that it's currently open to the public. I thought I heard on the news recently that either most or all of the attraction was going to be temporarily closed.

I'm with Dan, I seem to remember a news story about them closing for a period. I think when it was opened they could only allow so many people through each year and they have probably reached that limit. They were concerned with deterioration from us humans.

As for the snow, it's not far from Huacuchuca and they get snow occassionally during Dec/Jan. My son did his advance training while in the army there and during that time they maybe got 5-6 snow storms but nothing approaching blizzards. People don't realize how much higher altitude it is than Phx.

It would be a great trip. I have only been there once and it was unreal what is down there.

Steve it sounds like you have some interest, so can you check to see if they are open.

Thanks Steve.

Phil... :devil

Caves are open, call to make reservations though. They close one cave part of the year because of migrating bats, they also just remodeled the visitors’ center. Snow shouldn't be a major concern.

Guest UVETTYA

Well, looks like there is enough interest to make it fun!

Now to work out the details.

I talked with them already and that day is open. They shut down certain parts of the caves when the bats are roosting but they'll be open in December.

We can book 15 people in a group, with tours leaving every 30 minutes. There is plenty to see and do at the visitor center between tours and they have a picnic area.

It's 160 miles each way so I'm guessing it will take about 3+ hrs each way. With short winter days with pit stops and lunch, we'll either have to leave early or get back after dark -- unless we make it a two day event.

Do they do wine tasting in December? I'm up for that. Tony, do you know anything more? I didn't know there was a winery down there.

If we do a two day event we won't have to hurry back to beat the dark, and it might be a long day if we make it a one day event. I'm sure we could find suitable logding within reasonable driving distance of Karchner -- probably Sierra Vista. I can look in to that if that's what we decide. Maybe those who want to spend the night can stay and those who want to scurry back can do the tour and leave for home?

I'm looking for ideas so keep them coming.

We'll have to decide soon though so I can reserve the spots -- and I'll need an accurate head count to do that. Right now we have pick of the liter -- the whole day is open. But that will change as time goes on.

Steve

Count me in.

Just remember to stop off at exit 269 (Wilmot Rd, at the Shell station on the south side of the freeway).

Guest UVETTYA
Unless I'm blind I didn't see a date yet. Are we still tenative on that?

Saturday December 2nd. That's a week after Thanksgiving. :thumbs

Unless I'm blind I didn't see a date yet. Are we still tenative on that?

Saturday December 2nd. That's a week after Thanksgiving. :thumbs

Thanks