NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Drag Racing at Firebird - Sept 30th

BSeery

Tracy and I went tonight to Firebird. They did a quick spray of track prep and started on time at 7:00.

Someone blew up and oiled the track so we had a bit of a wait at one point. We still got 3 runs in long before 9 p.m. when they actually went out and sprayed the track again !!. Looks like they are getting a bit better with the track prep, but the big boys were still bitching that the traction was not there.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BSeery

• 3,503 lbs of trouble

• Desertdawg

• ICULUKN

Guest 71airstrike

Oh Desertdawg.....

Come here boy!

<whistels>

Come here boy!

Its time for your lesson.

Fear the VETT WAGON*

2003-03-04-Dodge-Magnum-SRT-8-Sports-T-0

*=applys only to vehicels 15.2 seconds and slower

cheers

chad

Modified the IMG tag to make desert puppy happy ;-)

You talking to me?

Who are you talking to???

Are you talking to ME???/

Bring it on Chad!!! I'll even lay next weeks milk money on the line...all $5.00 of it.

BTW, you suck at the internet, or did you mean to post that sexy red X ????

chadredX.jpg

You talking to me?

Who are you talking to???

Are you talking to ME???/

Bring it on Chad!!! I'll even lay next weeks milk money on the line...all $5.00 of it.

BTW, you suck at the internet, or did you mean to post that sexy red X ????

I see the picture. Sometimes it loads :crazy

Hey, stupid question, what are the requirements to running? Just pants, close-toed shoes and $17?

I'd hate to get my hopes up and not be able to race...

Any pointers for someone who hasn't done it before?

Hey, stupid question, what are the requirements to running? Just pants, close-toed shoes and $17?

I'd hate to get my hopes up and not be able to race...

yeah, pants (jeans i guess) closed toe shoes - tennis/running/cross training i guess

and a helmet if you plan on running faster than 13.5 (i think) bryan can you verify?

i only ran a 14.42 so i didn't even need my helmet!

pointers -

1. person on the LEFT LANE always exits the track FIRST NO MATTER WHAT!

2. wait for "the guy" to let you know when you can start your burnout - my first time it i did NOT do this - felt pretty stupid

3. you know about pre-stage and stage right?

4. Glenn told me "on the LAST yellow - PUNCH IT" - chances are good that you will not red light, but so what if you do - this isn't for money! (can someone verify if this is the SECOND or THIRD yellow?)

i couldn't help it, and waited for green and had some slow reaction times - .640 and some a bit quicker.

5. keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down - and don't forget to breathe! it's pretty exhilerating!

6. did i mention this - person on the LEFT LANE always exits the track FIRST NO MATTER WHAT!

7. follow the road around to the little shack and get your time slip.

proceed to step 1 again for even more fun (and in my case - slower reaction times!) :burnout

Your car needs to pass expection. I am not exactly sure what is concidered on older cars.

Someone posted a link to Firebird rules.

Here are the official rules:

1. Seat belts are required (even if your car is so old it didn?t come with belts) and must be securely/properly mounted. Seat belts must be worn when racing.

2. All windows must be present and in good condition (free of cracks). Cars must run with all windows up, sunroofs and T-tops closed. Convertibles must run with the top up. (Note: Convertibles running 13.99 or quicker must be equipped with an NHRA-legal five-point roll bar. Consult our Tech Crew.) *A Convertible drivers must have a helmet. See helmet rules below.

3. All automatic transmissions must have a functional neutral safety switch. Vehicle may only crank in Park or Neutral. (Note: an ignition kill switch is not enough. The starter must not function when the transmission is in gear.)

4. Doors handles must be functional, inside & out. ?Shaved? door handles not permitted unless there is an obvious mechanical means for our safety crew to open the driver and front passenger doors from the outside.

5. Battery cannot be located in driver/passenger compartment (unless meeting all NHRA rules and requirements, consult the NHRA Rulebook or our Tech Crew) and the battery must be securely mounted. No bungee cords, fabric straps, wire, rope, Ty-Wraps, leather belts, etc., are acceptable in place of a proper mechanical battery hold-down.

6. Vehicles with batteries that are relocated from the stock location must have an external master cutoff switch on the outside rearmost portion of the vehicle. This switch must kill ALL electrical functions including the engine. The OFF position of this switch must be labeled for our safety crew. (There are additional requirements for relocated batteries. Please, before you relocate your battery, see our Tech Crew or the NHRA Rulebook for guidance.)

7. Cooling system must have an overflow catch bottle. If your coolant-recovery system is not factory-stock, then the catch bottle must be 16 ounces capacity, minimum.

8. Tires must be in good condition, with at least 1/16 inch of visible tread remaining and no cord showing. Slicks must have visible wear indicators showing.

9. Carburetor must be covered. If your vehicle has no hood, mechanical fan must be removed but electric fans are OK.

10. Helmets: Drivers of all vehicles running 13.99 or quicker, and ALL convertibles regardless of E.T., must wear an SFI-approved helmet with a Snell rating of M90/SA90 or newer. Passengers in convertibles running 14.00 and slower must also wear an approved helmet. (Note: DOT-only helmets are not permitted. SFI-approved helmets are not permitted if the Snell label inside the helmet is missing or illegible. In other words, a Snell-rating on the outside of the helmet is not good enough.)

11. All vehicles must have at least one working taillight, which must be ON for night racing and visible to the Starter from the turn-out at the far end of the track.

12. All hubcaps and trim rings must be removed, unless bolted on. If bolted on, the Tech Crew will ask you to remove one or more caps so wheel stud length may be checked. All wheel studs (not just on the drive wheels) must extend into the hex portion of the lug nut a distance equal to the diameter of the stud.

13. If your rear-wheel-drive vehicle is capable of running quicker than 13.00 in the quarter-mile, a driveshaft loop is required. Consult with our Tech Inspectors for specifics. This is not true anymore - It is now 11.5 or better needs a loop

14. If your vehicle is capable of running quicker than 12.00 in the quarter-mile, please consult with our Tech Inspectors for additional safety equipment requirements.

15. No vehicle may be in motion with the hood up, whether under power or being pushed or towed. Please lower your hood for visibility when moving your vehicle.

AND ALWAYS LET THE LEFT LANE DRIVER TURN TO THE PITS FIRST !!!

The speed limit everywhere on the facility is 5 miles per hour, with the obvious exception of the dragstrip itself. This includes the top-end turn-outs, return roads, Tech Inspection area, pits, staging lanes, etc. There are many people, including children, walking around the facility during our night events, and some areas are not lighted well enough for a driver running without lights to see them. Violation of the speed limit will earn you a verbal warning from our Race Crew or Security personnel. Flagrant or repeated violations will earn you an invitation to leave the facility.

Please, SAFETY FIRST!!!

Clothing requirements:

In the interests of fire safety, drivers & passengers of each vehicle that goes down the drag strip must wear:

(1) Long pants ? no bare legs

(2) Shirt with shoulders ? no tank tops or spaghetti straps

(3) Full-coverage shoes ? no sandals or flip-flops

Bryan,

Isn't the correct phrasing "Pitside lane exits the track first"?

Both tracks here have pits left so no problem.

The reason being, they don't want you crossing the other lane before they are on the return road!

A lot of crazy stuff has happened!!

Ken

"5. Battery cannot be located in driver/passenger compartment"

Mine is stock behind the drivers, seat, and is firmly held down with the factory mounting hardware...

Also, another funny question, what if your car can't do burn outs?

3,503 lbs of trouble
"5. Battery cannot be located in driver/passenger compartment" Mine is stock behind the drivers, seat, and is firmly held down with the factory mounting hardware...

That's fine. The battery is in it's own compartment, not in the passenger compartment. My '79 passed tech with no problems.

If your car can't do burn outs, then it can't do burn outs. Just don't drive through the waterbox. It's for slicks, not street tires with treads. From a drag racing tips Web site:

"...I will assume you are on street tires. DO NOT drive through the water box! Your treaded tires will just pick up water in the treads, and when you do your burnout, it will sling water all over inside the wheel well. You will then track the water all the way to the tree, and water will be dripping down onto your rear tires, making them very slick! If you do this, you make the track dangerous for everyone, and you may be asked to leave if you do it again. The water is for slicks, not treaded tires. Drive around the water box, and then get your car centered in the lane. Back up slightly if needed. There will be a track official to guide you.  For street tires, a long burnout is not necessary. Street compounds are hard, and high performance tires are specifically designed to not heat up. Clean off your tires and warm them up with a quick, short burnout."

If you've never drag raced, then I suggest you read this great noob article on Speedworld's Web site:

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/tips.htm

Also, check these out too:

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/bracket_r...racket_race.htm

http://www.lapeerdragway.com/drag_racing_tips.htm

http://www.nhra.com/

"5. Battery cannot be located in driver/passenger compartment"

Mine is stock behind the drivers, seat, and is firmly held down with the factory mounting hardware...

That rule about the battery is for those that move it from the factory location. With the C3 and a few other cars the battery being in the passenger compartment is factory. As long as it is held down firmly and correctly there is no problem. They most likely will not ever look at the battery.

As far as not being able to do a burnout -- GREAT !! That means you won't have traction problems since you can't even spin them in a puddle. You don't have to do a burnout, and in fact a burnout on street tires is just a waste of time and rubber.

3,503 lbs of trouble

Don, one more thing. Think hard about whether or not it's wise to race your car. Wide open throttle applications from 0-? push a car as hard as it can be pushed mechanically. If you have a weak component, as in old or worn, this is the best way to get it to fail. TRUST ME! I took the Vette out to Firebird one night with an "iffy" water pump. Water pump failed, lost a belt, and Bryan, Tracy, and Dan C did their best to help me deal with my disabled car 'till after 2AM. It was a NIGHTMARE. Before that I took my T-bird out to Firebird when I was first considering getting into bracket racing. I tore apart my two aged motor mounts, and trashed my tranny, which had to be rebuilt. $3K bill for that one outing.

Mistake one - racing the daily driver. Very poor idea. Yes, the serious dedicated amateur racers out there warned me about racing my daily. They were right. So, if you're going to race your Vette, bring a AAA card, and have another means of transportation to get you around in the event your Vette ends up in the shop on Sat. 10/01.

Also, your car insurance will not cover any damage related to racing. If they find out you're racing, even if nothing bad happens, they may very well drop you "just because". Don't EVER mention it to them.

Don't mean to be so negative. Just thought you should know some of the less considered risks involved.

3,503 lbs of trouble

Chances are because of my work schedule I won't be able to make it to Firebird. I get off work about 11:15 PM. What time are you all planning to race 'till? I'll head to Hooters after work if you all will be there at 11:45. If that's too late, then :(

In the event I'm called off from work, I'll come down to the track with the DeLorean. No, not to race. There's no way in hell I'd make a pass in that car for like 100 reasons. I just want to weigh it on their scale.

I would suppose that we will be there until 10:30 or so. Dwayne and I should have cell phones with us, you can try calling us.

3,503 lbs of trouble
I would suppose that we will be there until 10:30 or so. Dwayne and I should have cell phones with us, you can try calling us.

I'll call you when I'm leaving work that night.

As far as not being able to do a burnout -- GREAT !!  That means you won't have traction problems since you can't even spin them in a puddle.  You don't have to do a burnout, and in fact a burnout on street tires is just a waste of time and rubber.

Its cheaper on tires too! :leaving

On a more serious note.. I won't be there on the 30th. I was thinking that was a saturday, as you all know its a friday so ill be at work. :(

As far as not being able to do a burnout -- GREAT !!  That means you won't have traction problems since you can't even spin them in a puddle.  You don't have to do a burnout, and in fact a burnout on street tires is just a waste of time and rubber.

On a more serious note.. I won't be there on the 30th. I was thinking that was a saturday, as you all know its a friday so ill be at work. :(

DOH! i was hoping to borrow your scan tool - oh well - i'll find other means, or wait until the next time i see you.

:drinkers

DOH! i was hoping to borrow your scan tool - oh well - i'll find other means, or wait until the next time i see you.

:drinkers

I may possibly be at the cruise sat. I ordered my rotors/pads/2 front calipers monday.. it should all be here thursday so I can get it squared away. If everything goes well Ill have it ready.

As for the scantool , anytime just let me know.

I still want to borrow that "Big Mouth" air damn for afew min :D

Thanks for the tips. BTW, I don't have the top lid on the battery compartment, do you think that will matter any?

As for not pushing the daily driver, I totally agree. However, I was really pushing it to keep up w/ you guys at the show low cruise (especially at the end) so I think if something would have given it up, it would have been then.

I'm still thinking 'bout it. ;)

Oh yeah, and I think I have a bad tach filter. I have to work on Liz's Jeep tonight, but if I get a chance I'll try bypassing the filter to see if I can get the tach.

I know it would probably be no good to try to run without a tach as I probably would get the shift points way wrong.

You just need some sort of battery hold down mechanism. As long as it does not move around you should be fine. They will checkit to make sure it does not move.

3,503 lbs of trouble
Thanks for the tips. BTW, I don't have the top lid on the battery compartment, do you think that will matter any?

As for not pushing the daily driver, I totally agree. However, I was really pushing it to keep up w/ you guys at the show low cruise (especially at the end) so I think if something would have given it up, it would have been then.

I'm still thinking 'bout it. ;)

I'm in no way trying to talk out out of racing, just wanted you to be aware of all the angles so you won't get any unexpected surprises. Also, you turn your own wrench, so if there was an issue, you can address it. You won't be helpless like me, Mr. Can't-fix-it.