NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

2013 ALMS Race News, Results, and Insults

MOTV8

BTW: Here's a fun fact: Teh #3 Corvette spent a total of 4 seconds less in teh pits than teh Falken Tire Porsche....margin of victory? Less than 4 seconds...

So fun I see it mentioned in paragraph six of my summary.

Teh ALMS is slow to update the points, but check here: http://www.alms.com/standings

BTW: Here's a fun fact: Teh #3 Corvette spent a total of 4 seconds less in teh pits than teh Falken Tire Porsche....margin of victory? Less than 4 seconds...

So fun I see it mentioned in paragraph six of my summary.

Teh ALMS is slow to update the points, but check here: http://www.alms.com/standings

Sorry...didn't see it Dean... :facepalm:

Desertdawg

I did! I did! BTW, most awesome for teh win, sad for teh 10th place but teh crew still worked hard to keep them in teh race. Now how much more BoP can CR be penalized with???

Don't give them any ideas, jeebus! You know IMSA is taking bids right now...

News flash, ALMS updates point standings...finally.

Team Standings:

1) Corvette Racing - 56

2) BMW - 52

3) SRT - 37

4) Risi - 28

5) Paul Miller Racing - 26

6) Team West/AJR - 19

7) Falken Tire - 18

8) CORE - 8

Manufacturer Standings:

1) Chevrolet - 59

2) BMW - 52

3) Ferrari - 43

4) SRT - 40

5) Porsche - 37

Falken not doing as well as we thought....

IN THE COCKPIT: Jan Magnussen, Monterey
Laguna Seca was one of the most perfect races that I've ever had with Corvette Racing...
Posted Image

Laguna Seca was one of the most perfect races that I've ever had with Corvette Racing. We were under pressure the whole way.

After 18 months, Antonio and I have finally got the monkey off our back. We had so many second places last year - that and a whole heap of troubled weekends.

Our luck really hasn't been on our side, but this week everything went to plan.

What is even more pleasing is the fact we were able to move to the front through pace and grab the lead. The guys on the No. 3 car did a great job in the first stop and once I got into the lead we never looked back.

Once I handed the car off to Antonio he also did a super job.

As soon as we got to the front, we never really got a big lead out of it. But we always had to really work traffic and try not to get stopped by the slower cars and not lose too much time when getting passed by the prototypes.

It was a matter of just being 100 percent precise the whole race, making no mistakes but still pushing because they were very fast from behind.

The pit crew made perfect stops; we didn't have any issues in the pits. Even when we did the driver change, it was during a short-fuel stop, so there wasn't a lot of time to change to Antonio. But it went absolutely perfect.

You know you have a good car when you can fight with it in traffic and you don't really lose so much. When I passed for the lead, it was a little bit of a risky move. Coming up to the Corkscrew, it was right after a yellow and traffic backed up a little bit.

Wolf [Henzler] was blocking the inside, like you should, but there was a prototype in front of him, so I had a run and could get up all the way up alongside the prototype on the outside. Then I rolled down the hill (using a bit of road and a bit dirt) and made the pass.

When that last yellow came out it was a bit of a worry because you never know if somebody is going to do something silly but everything went to plan and Antonio brought it home.

I'm so happy that we finally won. It's been a year and a half since we've won last. On many occasions we've been so close and the win has been within reach so many times but some little things have gotten in the way.

Now finally, hopefully this will have broken the bad luck and we can get a bunch more wins. And we need that as well, for the points.

It's been a great week. Winning back home in Denmark with my own team in the Camaro for the first time and now having a win at Laguna, the last race before Le Mans, gives us a lot of confidence for the 24.

It's nice that we got out of whatever bad luck has been handed us for a year and a half now. We can go to Le Mans knowing that it can be done, we just have to be perfect.

We have the test coming up and that will give us a good idea of where we are. Usually nobody shows everything they have at the test, but you get a pretty good idea. At least you get to run with some guys and see where you're strong and where the weaknesses are.

So we can go there, get a good baseline setup, get some data to work with and come back two weeks later and hopefully have a good Le Mans.

See you in France.

A winner in 12 of the 13 previous seasons of the American Le Mans Series, Jan Magnussen, a four-time class winner at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, drives the No. 3 Corvette Racing C6.R in the ALMS GT category with Antonio Garcia. For more information, visit www.janmagnussen.com.

Any ideas why Wolf and Brian didn't score any driver's points for a podium 2 finish?

Their check bounced? Wolf is on double secret probation for smoking blunts in pit lane? IMSA failed remedial math? I dunno. Any ideas? Anyone? Bueler?

We know they failed math when they chunked-out teh Corvettes after not being teh fastest at Sebring, but this is just cuckoo...

*Ouch* -Teh Falken Porsche failed teh post-race stall-test....that's going to leave a welt! Also sucks, because it gave teh P2 points to BMW....

*Ouch* -Teh Falken Porsche failed teh post-race stall-test....that's going to leave a welt! Also sucks, because it gave teh P2 points to BMW....

I told ya....their check bounced! :lol

IN THE COCKPIT: Oliver Gavin, Monterey
Going into last weekend’s third ALMS round at Laguna Seca, we had many reasons to think that a good result would be on the cards...
Posted Image

Going into last weekend’s third ALMS round at Laguna Seca, we had many reasons to think that a good result would be on the cards.

Tommy and I won at the track last year, we were still pretty pumped after our Sebring win, the car is working real well and we knew that in a four hour event the team’s performance in the pits could have far more effect on the outcome than at the short Long Beach street race where typically there’s only one stop.

Unfortunately a split hose in the gearshift system meant that we had to spend too much time in the pits for repairs and our No. 4 Corvette ended up 9th on track and 8th in the points.

Balancing that disappointment was a great GT win for our team mates Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia in the No. 3 – after being so close for many times last year they finally got the monkey off their back and the team really deserved the victory.

It was my turn to qualify and we were due to start in 4th place on the grid which, with the weight ballast we have to carry since Sebring and the high level of competition, was pretty much where we thought we would be. My best lap was only two hundredths of a second behind the Falken Porsche so it was mega close and, when the second-placed CORE Porsche got bumped to the back of the grid after qualifying, it meant we gained a place.

The race was pretty crazy from start to finish but the first few laps were plain mad. I was being pushed into the pit wall even before the start finish line by the No. 23 Ferrari so I decided to brake in order to not go into the flag stand and dropped a place. That wasn’t too critical as we knew there would likely be yellows (there were seven in total during the race and the first was after only one minute!) and we’d have the chance to catch up again.

But, from about the 5th or 6th lap, we had a gearshift problem which turned out to be a cracked hose on the shift system.

After about an hour and 20 minutes into the race the car got stuck in 6th gear on the front straight but fortunately a caution had just come out so I followed the safety car for a lap and hoped the problem would clear. At that lower speed though I was almost stalling the car so we had to pit and got it somewhat fixed – a bit of a Band Aid fix instead of a suture as it turns out. After our driver change Tommy went out again but we soon had to come back in for full surgery.

By that stage we’d lost six laps and it was a great shame as the car was good and there wasn’t much between us and the No. 3 car. A Porsche’s loss in post-race tech was our gain and we got points for 8th so that puts us in second place in the points and only three behind Dirk Muller so there’s still all to play for.

Our 100 percent focus now turns towards the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France. The cars leave soon and we’ll be off there for the official test weekend on the June 8-9, with the race being June 22-23. Let’s hope we can keep our run of success in the long-distance races going for this one…it’s been too long for me since the last win in France.

See you there.

:Jake

I wonder what teh dollars are like to send a GT car, it's crew and drivers, trailer full o' parts and tires, house/feed them, fuel and entry fees are like at LaSarthe?

I reckon a big sack full. And you know CR rolls like pimps over there. I bet SRT was like "It costs HOW much to ship this crap to France?!?". :lol

I bet when it's all said and done, return trip and all, it's over a mil per team...

A mil? That's it? No way.....my guess is WAY higher....maybe 3 or 4 million.

Anyway, more C7.R photochops for a boring Wednesday at work:

I like teh #3 and #4 together chop!

Posted Image

Posted Image

AND I found a couple C7's in yeller, so squint hard and imagine stickers all over it...

Posted Image

Posted Image

I sure wish that they would run that new LT1 in teh race cars..... :skull:

24 Hueres du Mans BoP adjustments:

Porsche will head into next month's 24 Hours of Le Mans with a slight increase in power, with GTE-Pro class Aston Martins marginally heavier following the latest Balance of Performance adjustments announced Wednesday by the FIA Endurance Committee. After a dominant performance at last month's FIA World Endurance Championship season-opening Six Hours of Silverstone, the Aston Martin Vantage V8s have been hit with a 10kg increase in minimum weight for its GTE-Pro entries only, with the specifications remaining unchanged in GTE-Am, a class which enforces the use of one year old models. Porsche's new 911 RSR, along with its 997-based GT3 RSR will benefit from a 0.3mm larger air restrictor beginning next month at Le Mans. The adjustment for the 997 model is also applicable to GTE-Am. No changes have been made to the Ferrari F458 Italias, which swept the GTE-Pro and Am class victories at Spa last month, nor to the U.S.-based Corvette and Vipers, which will join the FIA WEC regulars at Le Mans. However, the Corvette C6.R will run 25kg lighter at Le Mans than most recently seen in the American Le Mans Series round at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, which was due to an IMSA-imposed BoP adjustment. Teams will get their first impressions of the changes at the official Le Mans Test day on June 9.

24 Hueres du Mans BoP adjustments:

the Corvette C6.R will run 25kg lighter

Posted Image

50 lbs. less over 24 hours.....I hope Aston brought their lunches. All day ass whoopin, comin right up.

I don't put much faith in American meteorologists, let alone teh French ones.

I don't put much faith in American meteorologists, let alone teh French ones.

I meant from teh ACEholes... :lol

Desertdawg

ok, I'll predict it will be knee deep in asshole's over there...

I liked the polar oppisites C7R paint scheme's too :thumbs

I reckon a big sack full. And you know CR rolls like pimps over there. I bet SRT was like "It costs HOW much to ship this crap to France?!?". :lol

It's probably on the house with Fiat and all...

Fiat is too cheap to pick up that tab, my friend.

Hey Marc! Get your Paypal out....your C6.R is for sale on eBay right now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230987809674#ht_4449wt_1047

I was trying to convince Mrs.'Shifter that I need that this morning...