NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

2013 ALMS Race News, Results, and Insults

MOTV8

Dear Porsche,

If it's not diesel, does it even stand a chance???

LE MANS: Porsche LMP1 Car Revealed
All-new 2014 LMP1 car turns first laps Wednesday at Porsche's test track in Weissach...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Porsche has taken the wraps off its new LMP1 challenger, with the prototype turning its first laps Wednesday in preparation for its debut in the FIA World Endurance Championship next year.

It is the first LMP1 car built to the new-for-2014 LMP1 regulations to break cover, let alone begin on-track testing.

Timo Bernhard had the honors of taking the yet-to-be-named prototype for its initial shakedown at Porsche's test track in Weissach, Germany, in front of the entire board of Porsche AG.

“I was involved in the development of the new car right from the outset,” Bernhard said. “I’m very proud that I was the one to take our baby through its first paces today. Already now the car feels great. I look forward to testing the vehicle in the coming weeks and months with my friend and colleague Romain Dumas.”

Since its announcement in July of 2011 that it would re-enter the top prototype ranks, there has been a significant growth in Porsche's motorsports efforts, including construction of a new workshop and administration building in Weissach, as well as the hiring of 200 employees for the German manufacturer's first factory prototype program since 1998.

According to Fritz Enzinger, head of Porsche's LMP1 program, development of the car is already several weeks ahead of schedule.

“We are well on schedule," he said. “Our newly formed team has worked with utmost concentration on getting this highly complex vehicle on the track as soon as possible. This allows us a few additional weeks for more testing and further development.

"From 2014, the regulations are primarily based on efficiency. This makes the competition amongst engineers more interesting and presents us with completely new challenges.”

As revealed in photos provided by Porsche, the new LMP1 challenger appears to have some similar design cues from the Audi R18 e-tron quattro, its sister brand. Further details on the car's specification have yet to be revealed, although it's understood to be gasoline-powered.

“The engineers were able to start with a blank sheet of paper in the design of the new LMP1 car that was out here today on the Weissach race track for the first time," said Matthias Muller, chairman of the executive board at Porsche AG.

"Hence, they were able to apply many new technologies within the framework of the regulations that will also benefit the customers of our road legal automobiles in the future. After all, there’s a race car in every Porsche.”

Bernhard and Romain Dumas will be tasked with the majority of the testing and development of the car at "various international circuits" this year. The full driver lineup for the squad's anticipated two-car effort in the WEC next year will be announced at a later date.

It's believed F1's Mark Webber and current Rebellion Racing driver Neel Jani are still front-runners for the final two season-long seats.

*And since I was vadering anyway, I helped myself to some of their Test Day snaps too:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for your efforts, When I lived in France 65 through 67 I attended the Le Mans each year. ( Also followed the Formula 1 Series through out Europe ) Keep up the great work I will be following with you this year.

I'm not surprised, thier afraid of Corvette, and they should be... : :Jake:

I'm not surprised, thier afraid of Corvette, and they should be... : :Jake:

It's just a joke....you know that there was some oral gratification taking place.....those adjustments were before test day...

What happened between teh end of May, and teh beginning of June?

24 Hueres du Mans BoP adjustments:

Porsche will head into next month's 24 Hours of Le Mans with a slight increase in power, with GTE-Pro class Aston Martins marginally heavier following the latest Balance of Performance adjustments announced Wednesday by the FIA Endurance Committee. After a dominant performance at last month's FIA World Endurance Championship season-opening Six Hours of Silverstone, the Aston Martin Vantage V8s have been hit with a 10kg increase in minimum weight for its GTE-Pro entries only, with the specifications remaining unchanged in GTE-Am, a class which enforces the use of one year old models. Porsche's new 911 RSR, along with its 997-based GT3 RSR will benefit from a 0.3mm larger air restrictor beginning next month at Le Mans. The adjustment for the 997 model is also applicable to GTE-Am. No changes have been made to the Ferrari F458 Italias, which swept the GTE-Pro and Am class victories at Spa last month, nor to the U.S.-based Corvette and Vipers, which will join the FIA WEC regulars at Le Mans. However, the Corvette C6.R will run 25kg lighter at Le Mans than most recently seen in the American Le Mans Series round at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, which was due to an IMSA-imposed BoP adjustment. Teams will get their first impressions of the changes at the official Le Mans Test day on June 9.

Sounds legit.

You know there were many closed-door meetings after teh Vipers came out 3 seconds a lap slower than Aston. That won't do with all teh hype for teh 'return of teh Viper to Le Mans'....

20-30% chance of rain.....nothing quite like millions of dollars flying down Mulsane at a buck-eighty in teh wet... :spinin:

Did you read THIS?

LMAO!

LE MANS: Post-LM24 Test BoP Adjustments Explained
John Dagys gets insight from ACO Sports Director Vincent Beaumesnil on the last-minute Balance of Performance adjustments to GTE cars...
Posted Image

A handful of GTE teams and manufacturers in the Le Mans paddock were given a surprise late last week when the FIA Endurance Commission released further Balance of Performance adjustments following the official Le Mans Test Day, held on June 9.

The changes, which sees both the GTE-Pro Corvette and Aston Martins gain an additional 10kg of weight, while the debuting SRT Viper GTS-R shed 10kg and be able to run 5 liters of additional fuel, were handed out just three weeks after an initial set of adjustments following the second round of the FIA World Endurance Championship at Spa.

According to ACO Sports Manager Vincent Beaumesnil, who spoke to SPEED.com, the unprecedented change, taken less than 10 days prior to race day, is a new approach the FIA and ACO is able to take for 2013.

"The BoP is mainly based on data sheets supplied by teams," Beaumesnil explained. "There has been some previous documents that had been discussed and analyzed before the first race of the season. Then we had a second step of data sheets after Spa, which was to have the feedback of the 2013 cars [after two races].

"Then during the weekend of the test day, we had meetings with each manufacturer to discuss the data sheets and have cross-checked everything with what we had on track. From there, we made the decision that some adjustments were necessary after the test day."

It's the first time the ACO has made performance adjustments to cars during the two-week period between the test day and race.

"If you look at the regulations, we can change [it] whenever we want," Beaumesnil said. "For sure, it's not the spirit of what we want. But you have no other way to do it.

"As a manufacturer, you supply all the data [we] need to know what the performance of the car is. If what you supply is completely correct, there won't be any changes. If we see some differences, we have to change.

"It does not mean anybody is hiding anything. But sometimes what you have as an evaluation is not what you have on track.

"It has been agreed and discussed with the manufacturers. For them, even if we had some change after the test day, at least it's a clear process that everybody accepts. And this is the main thing."

The pair of SRT Viper GTS-Rs, making their Le Mans debut, were the most affected by the late change, with the Bill Riley-led factory effort spending 250 man hours on Friday and Saturday tearing apart the V10-powered beasts in efforts to shed as much of the 10kg possible.

"We got the fuel tank done and got some weight out of the car by just trimming some little things here and there," Riley told SPEED.com. "It's kind of hard with the car being homologated to thin beyond that. It would be hard to get the full 10kg out, but we got a decent amount out, probably 5kg. Hopefully it will be a benefit."

What was planned to be a fairly light work week for the SRT crew turned into a comprehensive effort, showcasing the American squad's dedication for success in the brand's highly anticipated return to La Sarthe.

"The guys really jumped in there and did it," Riley added. "We don't want to leave anything on the table. We're going to have enough challenges as it is!"

Where's that Venom guy that was talking all that smack?

VenomOnWheels

Did you read THIS?

LMAO!

LE MANS: Post-LM24 Test BoP Adjustments Explained

John Dagys gets insight from ACO Sports Director Vincent Beaumesnil on the last-minute Balance of Performance adjustments to GTE cars...

Posted Image

[blah, blah, blah - snip] . . .

Where's that Venom guy that was talking all that smack?

Posted ImageYou called?

• Upvote 1

Awesome! So how did SRT pull off this unprecedented bull? Is teh Viper nation celebrating, or are they aghast with embarrassment? LOL Teh last minute 'bailout' could make things interesting at least. How much of that lap time difference do you think these changes will make? And will it be enough?

They should be embarrassed about the additional fuel allowed. I don't think that V10 will make it on the GreenX fuel challenge list. :lol

So let me see if I understand....

They have teh biggest motor, by far....more fuel than it's competition, teh biggest restrictors in class, and now only teh Porsches are lighter? Gee, it's hard to see who they want to win....if they even stand on teh podium, they should be hanging their heads mighty low.

Marc, I hope you got teh SPEED....they are gonna stream live from both Corvettes during the entire race and another feed for a garage cam. Dawg, you know what's up.

LE MANS: Corvette On-Board Pass Returns For LM24
Watch! Live in-car and garage cameras from Corvette Racing during the 90th anniversary 24 Hours of Le Mans...

Posted Image

Do you want to get inside the action with Corvette Racing at the 24 Hours of Le Mans? You can thanks to Chevrolet and SPEED for the 90th anniversary of the world’s greatest auto race.

Starting with the green flag at 9 a.m. ET/3 p.m. CET on Saturday, fans around the world can watch the race online through the eyes of Corvette Racing at SPEED.com. In-car cameras will run for the full length of the race in both the Compuware Corvette C6.R race cars that will compete in the GTE Pro class. Additionally, SPEED.com will stream a garage cam for the entire 24 hours.

Antonio Garcia, Jan Magnussen and Jordan Taylor drive the No. 73 Compuware Corvette at Le Mans. Oliver Gavin, Tommy Milner and Richard Westbrook pilot the No. 74 Corvette. With seven class victories at Le Mans since 2001, Corvette Racing and Chevrolet rank among the most successful teams and manufacturers to compete at Le Mans in the modern era.

“The 24 Hours of Le Mans is one of the most historic and challenging endurance sports car races in the world,” said Jim Campbell, U.S. Vice President Performance Vehicle and Motorsports. “It’s truly a test. We are proud the Corvette will be competing in the GTE Pro class against the Aston Martin Vantage V8, Ferrari 458 Italia, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR and Viper GTS-R on the 8.47-mile Circuit de la Sarthe. Chevrolet and SPEED are providing a unique opportunity for race fans to ride along in the cockpit of the No. 73 and No. 74 Compuware Corvette C6.R race cars. We’re pleased to give our supporters the ultimate insiders’ look at Corvette Racing’s action at Le Mans.”

The next time Corvette Racing takes to the circuit at Le Mans is 4 p.m. CET/10 a.m. ET on Wednesday, June 19 for free practice and qualifying. Corvette Racing will go for its eighth class win at the 24 Hours of Le Mans since 2001 at 3 p.m. CET/9 a.m. ET on Saturday, June 22 with live coverage on SPEED.

Saturday, June 22- Sunday, June 23 (all times EDT)
• SPEED: 8:30 a.m-2 p.m., Saturday; 4-7 p.m., Saturday; 7:30 p.m., Saturday-9:30 a.m., Sunday
• SPEED.com: 2-4 p.m., Saturday; 7-7:30 p.m., Saturday
• Corvette 24-Hour Live Stream: 9 a.m. Saturday-9 a.m. Sunday

I don't have teh cable tv anymore....:(

I wonder if I can get a 2-day hookup from COX?

I'm just trying to clear enough space on the DVR to fit it all, I have 18.8 hours free right now ...

It was not what teh BoP honks wanted to see today...Aston steamrolling both GTE pro & am.

Teh Corvettes were back in 8th and 9th by my timing, and were actually BEHIND the time of teh fastest GTE-am Aston! D'oh! Vipers tenth and 11th, .....out of eleven entries. Doh!

LE MANS: Audi Leads Wednesday LM24 Qualifying
Audis 1-2-3 in incident-filled and shortened opening day of qualifying for 90th anniversary 24 Hours of Le Mans...

Posted Image

Audi topped the time sheets in the first of three qualifying sessions leading up to the 90th anniversary 24 Hours of Le Mans (Live! SPEED).

The German manufacturer swept the top three positions provisionally at the end of Wednesday's shortened qualifying, due to an accident involving a LMP2 car just past the halfway mark of the two-hour session.

Prior to the red, Loic Duval peddled his No. 2 Audi R18 e-tron quattro to a best time of 3:22.349, which held as the quickest of the day.

Duval edged out the No. 3 Audi of Marc Gene by 1.992 seconds, with two-time and defending race winner Andre Lotterer third with a 3:25.474 lap time in his diesel-powered LMP1 machine.

Toyotas wound up fourth and sixth quickest overall, in what turned into a bitter-sweet day for the Japanese manufacturer.

Kaz Nakajima's 3:26.676 in the No. 7 Toyota TS030 Hybrid was the quickest of the day for the gasoline-powered contingent, although more than four seconds adrift from the pace-setting Audi.

The sister No. 8 Toyota's night ended early when Sebastien Buemi ground to a halt with gearbox issues.

Splitting the two factory Toyotas was the Toyota-powered No. 12 Lola B12/60 from Rebellion Racing, posting a respectable 3:30.423 lap time, the quickest of the LMP1 privateers.

LMP2 was led by John Martin in the No. 36 G-Drive Racing by Delta-ADR Oreca 03 Nissan, who reeled off a 3:39.535 lap time.

Martin was the only driver to break the 3:40 barrier in the session.

The No. 43 Morand Racing Morgan-Nissan surprised with the second quickest time in class, thanks to a 3:40.741 by Franck Mailleux, while Alex Brundle completed the top-three aboard the No. 24 OAK Racing Morgan-Nissan.

The GTE ranks was an all-Aston Martin affair, despite the factory Vantage V8s having been handed additional weight following the test day.

Frederic Makowiecki led the way in GTE-Pro, turning a 3:55.658 in his No. 99 entry, while the No. 95 car of Allan Simonsen paced GTE-Am, thanks to a 3:58.661 lap time.

Astons occupied three of the four quickest positions in GTE-Pro, with both GTE-Am entries in the top-five in GTE-Am.

While scheduled for two hours, the session did not restart following an accident by Pierre Thiriet in the No. 46 TDS by Thiriet Racing Oreca 03 Nissan, which damaged the barriers at the first chicane just past the hour-mark.

Three additional accidents halted action in the afternoon's four-hour long practice session, which briefly featured mixed conditions.

Eric Lux lost control of his No. 41 Greaves Motorsport Zytek Z11SN Nissan early at the first chicane, while the No. 66 JMW Motorsport Ferrari of Khaled Al Qubaisi found the wall at the Ford Chicane.

However, the largest accident of the day came from Tracy Krohn, who smashed his No. 57 Krohn Racing Ferrari hard into the barriers at the Dunlop Esses. The impact, which destroyed the Prancing Horse, puts a question mark on the team's participation for the race.

Two additional qualifying sessions are on tap for Thursday; from 7-9 p.m. and 10 p.m.-12 a.m. local.

Unlike the new format used in six-hour long FIA World Endurance Championship races, the quickest single time from any session counts for pole.

Hey Frenchies, since you're all 've haz de unlimited powaz' and shit, why don't you reach around and adjust your heads outta yer asses? :twitch

VenomOnWheels

I'm just trying to clear enough space on the DVR to fit it all, I have 18.8 hours free right now ...

Beat ya. Yesterday I cleared off 30 hours and set the recorder. I'll copy everything over to DVDs next week.

That answers at least one of my questions.

I declare today to be Vader teh Frenchies pix Day, mostly because I had time to kill.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Binks: "Who farted?"