NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

good by

gnemack

Eddie; Your quote

(I personally will always doubt someone when they say they have a DIY project that cost them half of market value. Either their calculators broken or their claim of value is pie in the sky. If it could be done for that kind of money there would be shops all over town doing it.)

The thing you have to understand about these type of rebuilds is. The cost of Labor of Love = $0. The cost of a shop doing this rebuild at $75.00 pr hour.

makes the difference in it making any profit. And that profit better be worth the risk because when you sell the car there is a good chance you will be seeing it again.

I've had a couple of friends, in fact most body shop owners that would buy salvage cars and rebuild them drive it for a year than sell and restart the cycle again.

This was years ago back in Ohio. You could do a rebuild than wash the title of any salvage history. In Michigan you couldn't remove the salvage history.

Okay, then why aren't more DIY'ers doing it?

Because we don't have that much free time on our hands?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jstrutt

• Desertdawg

• Marco

• Big Poppa

:agree It's all about time and money ... There are many opportunities to pick up a deal ... Do some work ... And flip it ... But in this economy ... It's very risky ... Gotta keep beans on the table and the customers happy .... Always sad to see folks "fold em" .... But IMO cost of projects should not be a topic of conversation. The value of our investment should only matter to the individual .... If that makes sense ... I may decide to pay more for something then someone else mite only because it may be more to me ... For example .... ..... and I had better be prepared to divulge such cost if I promote "what a great deal" or the like ... Just a couple of cents worth ....

:ACE: Oh hell with, I'll just say it now....I LUV ALL YOU ACEHOLES, both foreign and domestic!!! :drinkers

This post has been brought to you by the letters B, E, E, and R and the number ?. :nicethread:

:agree I've become an asshole and I don't even have a Vette....... :facepalm: Shame.

:agree It's all about time and money ... There are many opportunities to pick up a deal ... Do some work ... And flip it ... But in this economy ... It's very risky ... Gotta keep beans on the table and the customers happy ....

Always sad to see folks "fold em" .... But IMO cost of projects should not be a topic of conversation. The value of our investment should only matter to the individual .... If that makes sense ... I may decide to pay more for something then someone else mite only because it may be more to me ... For example ....

..... and I had better be prepared to divulge such cost if I promote "what a great deal" or the like ...

Just a couple of cents worth ....

Completely with ya. If it would've been presented right off the bat as the "I'm climbing the mountain because it's there" I don't think anyone ulimately would've said anything other than "good luck, keep us posted and show us pictures". However, it was made out to be a "I'm saving a bunch of money on a C6" scenario.

Absolutely nothing wrong with resurrecting something you think is worthwhile, and by worthwhile I mean worthwhile to you.

You guys are teddy bears. :smilelol

holeee poopeee, we even have a smilie for this, and I get to use it... :fuzzy:

-shrug- I thought it was a cool project. When he started the 'he who has the most toys wins' .. ..well .. I've heard that before. I did get a kick out of his 'what's your point' when I elaborated a bit that he wasn't the lone ranger on doin project cars for less than a new/factory car would cost. Then he pulled the classic Diva routine .. love the tag line he got btw :) Inet always comes across pretty brutal as you have to depend on text interface, ..text *sucks* for conveying context altho smiley faces help. I'm sure he's a nice guy face to face .. ..because callin someone a loser to their face because they don't have an LS-6 Chebby would be stupid at best. IMHO, bein new to the Inet, mayhap he got his panties in a wad when the questions started. -shrug- It's what we do. It's the reason most of us 'do' the Inet ...to get information about stuff that interests us. Like ..ohh . . fixin up a flooded Vette, f'rinstance. Just how much would that cost? What does the damage look like? How do you fix it? . stuff like that. I did not comment much on it as I spent a couple decades in Avionics and have rewired cars/trucks from zero.. ..including my Duster. The guy I bought it from had literally ripped out the wiring harnesses completely after he blew the motor up. He was gonna make it a 'Pro Stock' car and had no idea what that entailed, then he got orders overseas and had to sell it. It was a rolling chassis when I bought it for $500 .. -shrug- ..back then I had a blast weldin in the cage, subframes, wirin up only what I needed to make it street legal .. ..it was cake compared to rewiring an F-4 that spit some turbine blades thru the fuse and burned a hole thru it. f'rinstnance. -just sayin -Frank

"I did not comment much on it as I spent a couple decades in Avionics and have rewired cars/trucks from zero..

..including my Duster. The guy I bought it from had literally ripped out the wiring harnesses completely after he blew the motor up.

He was gonna make it a 'Pro Stock' car and had no idea what that entailed, then he got orders overseas and had to sell it.

It was a rolling chassis when I bought it for $500 .. -shrug-

..back then I had a blast weldin in the cage, subframes, wirin up only what I needed to make it street legal .."

Frank, weren't they the best of times? I always thought so.........hundred bucks in your pocket and a car that needed hundreds in parts. :rockon2:

Yassir John .. I enjoyed the challenge and the idea of puttin a car together the way *I* wanted it ..not a whole lot of compromises ..a car that scratched all my personal itches :) Seemed like the more I did the easier it was to do more.. when I had time, money, and place to do it all in one spot. Of all the things that chafe about gettin 'old' .. I miss crawlin around my car ... er .. second. The first is flying a high performance aircraft. All of us at one time or another have enjoyed spendin time with our cars ..even if it's just admiring it in the driveway :) Far as I am concerned you qualify as a gearhead if you just plain enjoy the car you own. A lot of people just don't get that at all.. As for nay-sayers.. Had people tell me to my face a 440 would *not* fit in a Duster, with me leanin on the fender, hood off, and 440 starin right at them. LOL. It is a bit of fun to walk a path not all beaten down, a bit away from the herd :) The challenge beckons and some of us go for it like a black thursday shop-o-holic :) -Frank

Eddie; Your quote

(I personally will always doubt someone when they say they have a DIY project that cost them half of market value. Either their calculators broken or their claim of value is pie in the sky. If it could be done for that kind of money there would be shops all over town doing it.)

The thing you have to understand about these type of rebuilds is. The cost of Labor of Love = $0. The cost of a shop doing this rebuild at $75.00 pr hour.

makes the difference in it making any profit. And that profit better be worth the risk because when you sell the car there is a good chance you will be seeing it again.

I've had a couple of friends, in fact most body shop owners that would buy salvage cars and rebuild them drive it for a year than sell and restart the cycle again.

This was years ago back in Ohio. You could do a rebuild than wash the title of any salvage history. In Michigan you couldn't remove the salvage history.

Okay, then why aren't more DIY'ers doing it?

I did it I bought my C5 for 5500 fixed the oil pan and drove it clear title (insurance paid to fix it he paid the car off and sold it to me). *Shrugs* Yes the owner thought he blew the motor but he did not I rebuilt it anyway though because I did not trust it and frankly to this day I doubt myself on the rebuild just because it was my first rebuild completely myself. In the end I feel its worth it I like the car I would have done a few things differently now but that's what we learn from. I must have missed some of the original thread because the last I heard it was running again and I thought it was pretty damn cool to see him do it. Yes he got some ribbing because it could have been a lot worse he took a gamble and came out better than would be expected even made me think about giving it a shot but I never did.

Sometimes things work out but his impression of the board is not spot on but as mentioned somewhat of an acquired taste. I have not met many of you I have only been to one event because well life has been a little hectic since I got my Vette, a Divorce, a Custody Battle and then a fight to get into a house. I constantly tell myself soon it will level off but we shall see, I would like to get to know people here and see where it goes but at times I have gotten the impression that you either fit the click or you don't.

Cross : have been in many groups, I have found out that guys and gals that work on their cars generaly do not have Clicks, This group seems to fit the mold, they accept you for who you are no questions asked, having been to a few of their events we have always been accepted. With the Porsche's it is a different story, they are divided by those that race, those that concours, and those who have fun with the cars and do some of their own work. It seems to me that tools and grease have a tendense to bond people together. Having built a few cars in my life, I miss working on the cars now that I only have the use of one hand, so I guess now i become a check book builder. Have fun with what you do.

Cross : have been in many groups, I have found out that guys and gals that work on their cars generaly do not have Clicks, This group seems to fit the mold, they accept you for who you are no questions asked, having been to a few of their events we have always been accepted. With the Porsche's it is a different story, they are divided by those that race, those that concours, and those who have fun with the cars and do some of their own work. It seems to me that tools and grease have a tendense to bond people together. Having built a few cars in my life, I miss working on the cars now that I only have the use of one hand, so I guess now i become a check book builder. Have fun with what you do.

I dig what you're saying and agree that clique may not be the best term but I can kinda see where Cross is coming from. My view of Ace and my past experience with local auto boards leads me to think this:

It's just like Cheers. Great group of people that would welcome someone in off the street with open arms. Right off the bat, I'm sure Cliff would spin you a factually inaccurate yarn right off the bat, no less. But they are a tight knit group and for awhile, you will feel like (and in many ways be) an outsider. Not a reflection of anything bad in the group of people but a reality when someone new enters an established social circle.

I couldn't agree with you more on the Porsche comment though, I've seen it first hand. Of course, I was a 928 owner, so I was looked down upon equally by most everyone. :smilelol

you will feel like (and in many ways be) an outsider.

We have fought this problem from the very begining of ACE. We always encourged new members to show up at any event, and we tried to make sure an original members sought out the newbies to say hi and try to help them join in. We even tried a mentor program.

To this day I say if an ACE member meets a Corvette fanatic, tell them about ACE, get them to join online, and just show up at the events.

If someone joins ACE online first then we encourge them to visit the events section and try to make it to any event they can.

It's all about friends, fun, and Corvette's. but not necessairly in that order...

We have fought this problem from the very begining of ACE. We always encourged new members to show up at any event, and we tried to make sure an original members sought out the newbies to say hi and try to help them join in. We even tried a mentor program.

To this day I say if an ACE member meets a Corvette fanatic, tell them about ACE, get them to join online, and just show up at the events.

If someone joins ACE online first then we encourge them to visit the events section and try to make it to any event they can.

It's all about friends, fun, and Corvette's. but not necessairly in that order...

:agree Sheet I live 1,800 miles away and have always felt at home. So suck it up Princess....... :smilelol:smilelol

Down, I am presently a 928 guy also. Yes the Porsche people really look down on the 928 guys, but what better than a true clean sheet Porsche ? The 928 guys are a tight nit group around the country. Now I have a corvette also and find this type of group is the better for gatherings, no dues ,no meetings, no Official officers .

Down, I am presently a 928 guy also. Yes the Porsche people really look down on the 928 guys, but what better than a true clean sheet Porsche ? The 928 guys are a tight nit group around the country. Now I have a corvette also and find this type of group is the better for gatherings, no dues ,no meetings, no Official officers .

Not. There are "Official Officers". They are in the Ahole section and we ignore them anyway. :smilelol:thumbs

It's all about time and money

The older I get, the more I realize that they are indeed EXACTLY the same thing. What is money if not a measure of a person's time and an easier means for us to barter with each other?

My biggest issue is when you start talking about who has the most toys and looking down on others because you supposedly got this really good deal. Some of us paid more than others for the same model year car etc. That shouldn't matter IMO. Be excited you got a good deal but don't rub it in other's faces.

My biggest issue is when you start talking about who has the most toys and looking down on others because you supposedly got this really good deal.

Some of us paid more than others for the same model year car etc. That shouldn't matter IMO. Be excited you got a good deal but don't rub it in other's faces.

:agree There are many reasons why some get deals and pay less than others. Timing, right place at the right time, sellers personal situation, and on and on. Take pride in what you bought and what you paid as I am sure we all do. Take the pride but do it with respect.

Guest badbobs95

My biggest issue is when you start talking about who has the most toys and looking down on others because you supposedly got this really good deal.

Some of us paid more than others for the same model year car etc. That shouldn't matter IMO. Be excited you got a good deal but don't rub it in other's faces.

Oh Drew, Gene would never do that. When you're over 60 the warranty runs out! Then you say stupid shit and you don't even know it. But, the best part is, who gives a f--k? It doesn't even matter. I have more important things to worry about like what's the next stupid thing I'm going to say. Let's just all be friendly and have fun. I did today. I was going about 95 when I looked in my mirror and say a H/P coming up behind me, slowed down, and he went right by. Today IS a GREAT day! Posted Image

you will feel like (and in many ways be) an outsider.

Dawg,

That's exactly what I did. Mir and Victor knew me from the Desert Goats forum and told me to come join ACE as soon as they found out that I was a new vette owner. I am glad that I did as ya'll are a bunch of great people with no strings attached and I've enjoyed the lunches, cruises and the good natured poking in the ribs, not to mention that I've made some new friends along the way that I probably would not have made otherwise.

That car was fun as hell. At the time I owned it, I was in my mid 20's and had only played around with Mustangs, totally different experience, in good and bad ways lol. When the clutch went out in it, I wasn't initially concerned. I'd replaced my fair share, few hundred bucks for parts and $100 and a 12 pack for a buddy and I was back on the rode. When I got the estimate for that same repair on the Porsche, I picked up the solid gold brick I'd just shat, paid the bill and sold it shortly thereafter. I had no problem affording the purchase of one but I realized I wasn't financially solid enough to own one. A fantastic life lesson though that prepared me for the Corvette tax. :lol

Obligatory poor quality picture of it:

post-2151-097808200 1353973080.jpg

Bottom line, ACE isn't for everyone just as some hate organized clubs while others wouldn't have it any other way. I hold no ill will towards Gene and if he comes back I'd welcome him. We have all gotten in a snit at one time or another but the tough survive!

Dawg,

That's exactly what I did. Mir and Victor knew me from the Desert Goats forum and told me to come join ACE as soon as they found out that I was a new vette owner. I am glad that I did as ya'll are a bunch of great people with no strings attached and I've enjoyed the lunches, cruises and the good natured poking in the ribs, not to mention that I've made some new friends along the way that I probably would not have made otherwise.

And I'm pretty darn sure that you've been to at least twice as many events as I have too :LolLol:

I probably don't fit the standard "mold" for this place. But I like it anyway. I don't agree with everything everyone says.. but when will you? And I do need to come to more meets haha.

And I'm pretty darn sure that you've been to at least twice as many events as I have too :LolLol:

I probably don't fit the standard "mold" for this place. But I like it anyway. I don't agree with everything everyone says.. but when will you? And I do need to come to more meets haha.

Damn.............I knew there was a standard but nobody told me about it. :smilelol:thumbs

Now the expected question from me, is it a good daily driver? :LolLol:

That car was fun as hell. At the time I owned it, I was in my mid 20's and had only played around with Mustangs, totally different experience, in good and bad ways lol. When the clutch went out in it, I wasn't initially concerned. I'd replaced my fair share, few hundred bucks for parts and $100 and a 12 pack for a buddy and I was back on the rode. When I got the estimate for that same repair on the Porsche, I picked up the solid gold brick I'd just shat, paid the bill and sold it shortly thereafter. I had no problem affording the purchase of one but I realized I wasn't financially solid enough to own one. A fantastic life lesson though that prepared me for the Corvette tax. :lol

Obligatory poor quality picture of it: