Our '77 Project

AdamMeh

Lookin mighty fine ...... look forward to seeing it with paint complete ..... looks like your handling the details on the body ...... Posted Image

If you don;'t mind comin over to Scottsdale Air Park, give Mark a call .... he may be able to get your alignment taken care of ...... 480 250 2333

Hey LC3,

Thanks for the phone number. I'll give Mark a call when I get to that point and see what he can do. :thumbs

Adam

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AdamMeh

• Bromley's Corvettes

• Desertdawg

• LastC3

Managed to spend the better part of today sanding the front clip. As I have been working on the car, I was using my air hose to blow off dust etc. I was getting "chunks" of paint and primer coming off the tops of the fenders just with air pressure - right down to the fiberglass.

At some point, the surround was replaced and it seems like they didn't rough up the fiberglass enough for the primer to bite on. The rest of the car still has the original paint as a base. I have sanded the tops of the fenders and the nose down to a clean starting point which was a lot of work, but really the only option.

The front clip is almost ready for some real primer/sealer. Little more sanding to do on the left side, but it's closer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for looking,

Adam

Managed to spend the better part of today sanding the front clip. As I have been working on the car, I was using my air hose to blow off dust etc. I was getting "chunks" of paint and primer coming off the tops of the fenders just with air pressure - right down to the fiberglass.

At some point, the surround was replaced and it seems like they didn't rough up the fiberglass enough for the primer to bite on. The rest of the car still has the original paint as a base. I have sanded the tops of the fenders and the nose down to a clean starting point which was a lot of work, but really the only option.

The front clip is almost ready for some real primer/sealer. Little more sanding to do on the left side, but it's closer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for looking,

Adam

Nice Adam. Sorry I couldn't make it over this weekend...again, been working on the house and hopefully I'll be done tomorrow. How's the bond stripes on the car, will you have to re-do any?

Hey Tom, No worries. I didn't know I'd get any time to work on it until this morning. The bonding strips on the front fenders (by the nose) needed some work, but I have already glassed those in. I'll be working on rebonding the strips where the fenders attach to the firewall, but I have some alignment work get the fenders lined up with the doors first. I'll also need to adjust the doors - shim the hinges I'm sure. I'm putting a '73 - '74 style bumper cover on it. They don't have the giant "bumper guards" molded into them. Much cleaner looking. It's fiberglass, so I'll be glassing it in and getting rid of the bumper seam in the front. I'll also do the rear, but that will come after I save up a little to buy a fiberglass rear cover. Guessing next fall when we start on the final bodywork and get ready to paint it. The heat is going to hit faster than I can get it ready for paint. Adam

yeah, should be in the triple digits by the end of the week. Nice work Adam, keep up with the updates, we like it!!!

yeah, should be in the triple digits by the end of the week. Nice work Adam, keep up with the updates, we like it!!!

:thumbs I'm hoping to get the front end (bumper) put together, the glass work done and have it shot in primer before the real heat hits us. Have to see what Mother Nature brings.

We are tossing around color ideas as well. Black with red interior is still at the top of the list, but we have looked at other options

You might like this one (we would keep the interior black if we go this route):

Posted Image

Adam

Interesting color ..... would certainly be different ..... which ever color combo you pick this baby will be lookin mighty fine !!! Posted ImagePosted Image

I think it (or something similar) would really show off the curves on a C3. Metallic paints work well on them, but black is pretty cool as well. :cool

Bonding stripes suck and had to redo mine on both sides, now one is causing issues again. :facepalm: So at some point I'll have to repaint the entire car again. :banghead Oh well, practice makes perfect I guess. What color is that and from what model?

That is a House of Kolor paint. The base color is Gamma Gold. And I agree, bonding strips do suck. The first attempt didn't hold, so I'm looking into other brands of adhesive. Think I'll just fork out the extra $$ and go with Lord Fusor this time. I tried Evercoat on the cowl and it has already separated, so I'll just use it as filler. Works well for that. Adam

I've been looking at those as well. I like them, but if we're going to do a color like that, I'm going with something richer looking like that House of Kolor paint.

I picked up a new (to me) fiberglass front bumper cover. It's a '73-'74 style which are much cleaner looking - no bumper guards etc. it's a fiberglass piece, so I may end up glassing it in and going seamless on the nose and tail. It will require some creative glass work because the earlier covers have a slightly different shape in the center where it bolts to the body (see photos).

Should look pretty nice when it's done! :rockon2:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Adam

That's funny, i never noticed the noses had that much of a difference.... Thanks for pointing it out.

That HoK color is awesome, but black is still faster! :lol Whichever way you go, this thing will be cool. Thanks for letting us follow your progress!

Thanks MOTV8! Black is still very much an option - it's just cool and Vettes always look good in black. Your car is proof of that! :thumbs

• 3 weeks later...

And here is today's update. It's in primer :partydance: This is just a first coat (well 3 coats) that will hold it over for the summer. Once the heat goes away this fall, I'll start blocking and continue on with the project.

As you'll notice, I have put the stock front bumper cover back on so we could get it street legal again - blinkers, park lights etc. It's pretty warped up, but it will work for now.

Posted Image

I think I like the seamless look. If my wife and I agree, then we'll go for a fiberglass rear cover this fall and I'll glass it in. This is just the stock cover with bodywork to cover the seam.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll prime the hood and t-tops tomorrow morning while it's not 100+ outside.

Thanks for taking time to follow along,

Adam

Looking pretty awesome man ...... I too am a fan of the seamless look ...... especially the front !!! nice work ......Posted Image

Final Effort

Nice work. But why are you making it street legal? Back in my younger days, a very well respected painter explained to me. NEVER drive a car while in primer, it is the foundation of your work. You risk having a bad final paint job.

Nice work.

But why are you making it street legal? Back in my younger days, a very well respected painter explained

to me. NEVER drive a car while in primer, it is the foundation of your work. You risk having a bad final paint job.

This is just the first stage of the bodywork. When it cools off we'll be going through the block/prime/block/prime stages. I just needed to get it shot in primer before the heat hit and it was too late to shoot the primer. Couldn't leave it with bare fiberglass all summer long.

The street legal part is because we want to drive it! I've been busting my *#$ for months and it's time to enjoy this thing - even if it's just a short Saturday morning drive.

Thanks LastC3! I agree, the front will be seamless as well if we go that route. The rear was a test to see if we like it before I start grinding on a $300 fiberglass rear cover. :thumbs

Adam

And here is today's update. It's in primer :partydance: This is just a first coat (well 3 coats) that will hold it over for the summer. Once the heat goes away this fall, I'll start blocking and continue on with the project.

As you'll notice, I have put the stock front bumper cover back on so we could get it street legal again - blinkers, park lights etc. It's pretty warped up, but it will work for now.

Posted Image

I think I like the seamless look. If my wife and I agree, then we'll go for a fiberglass rear cover this fall and I'll glass it in. This is just the stock cover with bodywork to cover the seam.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll prime the hood and t-tops tomorrow morning while it's not 100+ outside.

Thanks for taking time to follow along,

Adam

Looks pretty good to me and I feel your pain in doing this in the heat. When I did mine, it was way too hot, but I just wanted to finish it. I drove mine in black primer for what seemed like forever before I painted it, no biggy as long as you do it right again before you start painting. Mine looks ok except the rock chips now. :facepalm: I'll have to repaint the entire car again.

I made quite a score last weekend. New neighbors moving in and one of their relatives who was helping came over and starting chatting about cars with me. He sold his '77 a few years back and said he kept the stock t tops when he did. I guess he had glass tops on it when it sold.

Anyway, he said he'd sell them to me if I was interested. I told him I had tops already and he said OK, but if you change your mind I'll take $25 for the pair!!?? Of course, I said bring them over and I'll take a look. The next day he brings over the stock tops IN THE BAGS. They are in fantastic shape. Latches are solid, seals are in good shape and still soft, trim is nice and shiny and not scratched up, and they have liners in them (tan). For $25??

SOLD!!!

It would have cost me over $500 to get ours to that condition. The latches are shot, seals are crumbling, trim is all scratched up and no inside liners. Basically, we had a t top shell.

I'll try to get a better shot of them, but here they are. They line up perfect with the roof line and fit so tight it's scary.

Posted Image

SCORE !!!! Some days are just worth getting outta bed ..... should save a butt load of work for you ....Posted ImagePosted Image

Wow, awesome score! :partydance: When ya gonna start bringing her out to events so we can see the progress in person? :ACE: