Our '77 Project

AdamMeh

Thought I would start a post to use for our recent '77 4spd car purchase. It needs a bunch of work and we're working with limited funds so the majority of it will come with time and LOTS of elbow grease.

Here's the basic info on the car as I got it:

Was running and able to test drive it - picked the car for a LOW price as the PO needed $$ NOW - works for me.

Engine had a miss to it and valve train noise - initial thoughts when I looked at the car was a stuck valve or broken spring. Turned out to be a valve pulled into the head (pic below).

Posted Image

The engine is a '75 smog motor with small valve heads so it's no great loss to me. I have the majority of the engine torn down and will be pulling it this Saturday. Depending on how much I can get done as far as detailing the engine compartment and replacing control arm bushings etc, I'm shooting to have it running and driving by Christmas. Replacement engine will be a 9 to 1 compression 4bolt block with 1.94 heads, summit racing cam kit and I'll reuse the Edelbrock intake and carb and Accel distributor that came on the car. Headers are cheap Cyclone brand, but are solid so they will be reused until I can get something better at a later time.

Here is what it looked like when I purchased it: (gotta love that awesome wiring, 30+ years of dirt and how about that pro spark plug wire install? :banghead

Posted Image

Steering column tele would not lock (made for a very interesting test drive!) and I now have that fixed and it feels solid.

Trans is the original numbers BW Super T10 which shifted fine but has a whining noise in 1st gear when decelerating (noise stops when I push the clutch it). Will be rebuilding it while the engine it out. Note - I need help with this! Any volunteers? LOL

Interior has new door panels, carpet, lower dash pads and console installed when I got it. Of course, nothing was cleaned or fixed while they did the install... just don't get that at all. Since getting it two weeks ago I have pulled the console back out and have begun fixing the wiring issues and cobble jobs I'm finding.

Car has (newer) 2 1/2" exhaust with dual cats and flowmasters and with the exception of having the tailpipes redone to tuck the mufflers up under the car I'll reuse that.

Car also came with the AC compressor so plans are to either make the original system work again (at some point) or install a complete vintage air system.

Some minor fiberglass fixes to do around the front bumper (was off when I got it) and there was a minor hit on the front right side at some point in its life so I will putting the car on a frame rack when I get it running to have everything checked and pulled straight (if it's bent).

Brakes felt firm and pulled straight while braking. Rear end does not seem to have any major issues as of now so it will work to get it running again.

Anyway, that's where we're at after two weeks into the project :bang

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AdamMeh

• Bromley's Corvettes

• Desertdawg

• LastC3

Awesome! Wow, that head is hammered, holy cow.

Looks like a fun project!

Good luck and thanks for sharing :thumbs

Thanks Two Snails... that cylinder still held 120 on the compression check which is almost impossible to understand IMO.

Bromley's Corvettes

WOW that valve is deep lol. It looks like the same Bubba worked on your 77 and the 76 I just took in lol.

WOW that valve is deep lol. It looks like the same Bubba worked on your 77 and the 76 I just took in lol.

I feel your pain. :facepalm: It's all good - we have saved these cars from a certain death at the hands of all the bubbas of the world.

How I spent my lunch break... at about $110 each to replace these emblems (sorry, but that's just stupid money for something so small) I decided to try and detail my existing emblems. I'm happy with the results given it's a first try. Now that I figured out a system the others should turn out better. Little clean up on some edges and it should be good to go.

Here is a shot of the nose emblem:

Before:

Posted Image

And after:

Posted Image

Bromley's Corvettes

Looks good I take a Q-tip with solvent on it and clean up the edges. I use touch up paint the small brush fits in there ok.

Looks good I take a Q-tip with solvent on it and clean up the edges. I use touch up paint the small brush fits in there ok.

Exactly... figured I'd let the paint sit for a couple of days before I try and detail the edges. Still a litle soft as I just finished painting them.

welcome adam.

I applaud you for your effort in saving this old girl.

I had a 71 that I enjoyed working on

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I offer some suggestions.

1: find a pair of used C5 corvettte seats. the bolts wil algin right up and drop in. These are the only few seats out there that will fit the narrow (19.5 " with?) seat well. They are VERY comfortable and you can get them on the cheap too!!!!

2: save up the money and get a Tremic 5 or 6 speed manual tranny. The m 21 4 speed tranny was great but I could only cruse at 65 with out winding up the engine.

The tremmic will give you 1 or 2 overdrive gears. I was able to drive at 85mph with the engine humming at 1800rpm.

cheers

and welcome.

Awesome dude. :thumbs If you want help, you need to post locations and times that you will be performing CPR. Not promising you'll get any to show up, but you never know. Chad...I still can't believe you let that car go. :(

When I get back next month I'll be available from time to time to help on your C3 if needed. :thumbs

Thanks guys! Chad - that was a beautiful car! Man, those bumper cars are saweeet! That dash wiring looks a little scary though :smilelol Thank you Bigfoot for the help idea and Buccaneer for offering to help... that is really cool of you guys :yourock: I have everything ready to pull the engine and trans except the driveshaft, engine and tranny mounts and shifter unbolt. Another hour or so and it's ready to pull. My brother is coming over on Saturday morning to help me pull it out and then I can dig into getting this mess of an engine compartment cleaned up and painted. Going to spray the suspension and crossmember with my paint gun so it will look good and be durable. Also made a decision on the engine color - Black. I'll pick up a small can of black imron paint and paint the engine with my paintgun. Should give it a awesome shine and be very durable. Since the car will be the same color (but done in a base/clear) it should look like a custom engine paint job. :thumbs

Thanks for sharing, looks like you've been down this road before, need some help just holler there's plenty of help around here. Keep the pics comming.

Today's Update - I uncover new uses for packaging tape and the true meaning of "yuck".

OK... so here is one for the records. In past projects I have found some pretty scary electrical stuff but this is a first. It appears that in some parallel universe it's OK to use clear packaging tape for electical system "fixes".

Posted Image

Posted Image

And it also appears that there is no source of rubber manufacturing in that universe

(drivers side lower control arm)

Posted Image

And I think scientists are wasting their time trying to find water on other planets - I have proof there is NO water anywhere and certainly none to wash anything with. Also, when you put a new radiator in a car go ahead and put new antifreeze in, but whatever happens DO NOT empty the rusty, skunky water from the overflow bottle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

:smilelol

I am now totally convinced that I have saved this car from the brink of "parts-cardom" or from being on the 6 o'clock news as a roadside fire.

I'm now more determined than ever to make this thing rock-n-roll when I'm done with it. The tougher it gets the more determined I get... BRING IT ON BABY!! :cool

Well, everything is unhooked and It's ready to have the heart removed tomorrow morning. Did a test hookup of the hoist today so I could figure out the best way to pull this thing. The nose is so long you can't get a hoist on it from the front so I'll be doing it from the side. Long road ahead of us, but we're taking a huge step forward tomorrow. :partydance:

Looks pretty good! I ended up running down to Taylor rental and picking up one of their larger hoists. It had a long enough boom on it to pull it from the front. Certainly is a bit different from pulling those 440's in my Challengers lol

• 2 weeks later...

Star Date 12.9.11 - (makes me feel like Capt. Kirk) :banannarainbow:

I had Genstar in Glendale go through my starter and alternator - always been very happy with their work:

Posted Image

Also picked up my intake and headers from the sandblasting place here in Peoria. They bead blasted the intake and sand blasted the headers - turned out really good IMO

Here is a before shot of the headers

Posted Image

And a before shot of the intake

Posted Image

The headers after (I think these are pretty old and I like the fact they are sort of "retro" :))

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the intake after

Posted Image

I also took this old, greasy wornout 350 down to the machine shop today. Should get my new motor back next week :rockon2:

Posted Image

Putting in the new control arm bushings and front coils while the motor is being done - Also going to kit (or replace if needed) the front calipers. I'm finally feeling like it's moving forward.

Adam

Bromley's Corvettes

Looking good and when you get the new engine running it makes it all worth it Posted Image

What will the new engine be like?

The replacement is a fairly mild street motor - something we can cruise in and take on short trips etc. 350 - 9 1/2 to 1 flat tops - 1.94 heads - 465 / 282 duration cam - performer intake and carb - accel distributor - headers - 2 1/2" exhaust with flowmasters etc.

Should be a respectable performer but easily run on the crappy gas we have now.

This will be hard to imagine I'm sure, but the heads on the motor I took out of the car are cracked! What a shocker huh. Didn't see that one coming :smilelol