So just how hard is a clutch replacement?

Cross

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cross

• Big Poppa

• Shifty

• TheCMSH

I will think about pics Chris, we shall see. On a side note after all my work to redo the lower oil pan bat wing because I found it slowly weeping out the seal its yet again leaking from where I am not sure... This oil pan is really pissing me off.

Well after looking this over and taking stock of another idea I have chosen to pull the motor for a few reasons. 1) I have new Cam and Main Bearings for the motor since they were not all that expensive and the motor has miles so I would like to see the condition. 2) I have all the stuff I collected for the cam swap but had not chosen a cam yet... (Anyone have one and want to stop by I have cash and I hate to not do one now but if I have to oh well) LS3 Oil Pump, Double Roller Timing Chain, Gasket Set, Lower Oil Pan Gasket Kit. I think I have some other odds and ends too but again I had not found the cam I want to match my newest purchase (Crane Gold 1.7's and 7.250 Hardned Push Rods) thats fun but not nuts. So by doing it this way I can check all my wiring in the engine bay, clean stuff up on the motor and finally see how the bearings look on my 151k motor and then go from there. This should tell me just how much life my motor has left in it since the heads have less than 20k on milled 243's. This motor may just have more than enough life to get me through college and I can go for the big boy 6.3L then lol. Either way you guys will get to see the pics over the weekend. I need to borrow an engine stand and hoist as they are at the other house and I don't have the truck right now.

Ya, cams can make a big difference in the personality of the engine. I think you need to decide what personality you want it to have, and then research a cam that fits that bill. I also say... How did you buy bearings without having the engine apart to measure the crank etc? Bearings come in different sizes and you have to mic everything to be sure you have the right size. Lastly... If this were me, and my car, and do what you want... I can't imagine pulling the engine and ripping it all apart without doing at least a full rebuild. Really, I would be looking for a new block. I'd chase down an LS2 block, LQ4 if you want to drag race. If my LS1 block ever leaves my car, I won't let it back in.

Because I expect to find no issues if I do i will handle them accordingly. However this is not the time to Motorswap, thats for an LS2 or LS3 bottom end I do not want to do an LQ9 and throw off the weight. With it being a stock internals motor I expect to find standard sizes if its not I will deal with it then sending these back for the correct size but I do not expect to have an issue honestly. As for the full rebuild considering the heads have been completely gone through and milled by a local shop when the prior owner put them on and now I am doing the bottom end all that will really be left is the rings and frankly I do not feel like pulling the heads off again. If I have to I will but if I see no reason to why do it? The Bearings are cheap and its a good idea with the high miles so I can see how they have worn if at all, its piece of mind.

Slowly, between homework and work and the boy I have not gotten as far as I would like... we shall see tomorrow where it all ends up but I think this is going to keep moving along for the time being.

Alright took till 2am last night but what can I expect when i have to work and do homework on top of doing this.

Posted Image

Fun fun fun but its out! Time for some upgrades! (After more school and homework today)

Alright got the clutch and flywheel off, it was def replaced at some point. The Clutch says TCS on the Flywheel (Paint marker) but looks like a stock replacement. Someone has replaced it before.

Either way that stock flywheel Holy Sh*t! I can not wait to see how it responds to the Lightweight one thats one heavy sucker. Going to be hard to wait the break in period lol.

Got the lower cross member all cleaned up waiting on the replacement motor mounts as well as the Crane Gold RR to come in tomorrow. But either way everything looks good, moving along maybe Tuesday night I can get it put back in... but probably not until Wednesday lol.

First let me start by saying sorry for hijacking a thread, I'm still too new to start my own. I need help! I just bought my C5 in July.it's completely upgraded, I don't even know exactly what I have. I'm having clutch/shifting issues in addirion to my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Can anyone tell me a good, affordable, trustworthy mechanic in Tucson. Thanks for your help.

I know of one, his name is Steve he owns SRE Engines. Great guy I just like doing the work myself. Since I have spent a lot of time diagnosing my clutch issue I am happy to help point you in the right direction if you need the help. Let me know I would be happy too. On a side note, new Sachs Slave is in with the Remote Bleeder and new Throw Out Bearing. The Pilot bearing came out on the 3rd slide of the hammer like it was nothing... but now its stuck on the tool lol. I can not find a cam bearing tool though sadly so I am stuck waiting on that and I am going to go ahead and replace my motor mounts. Tonight the new bearings will be in. I also went a little nuts cleaning everything with degreaser and a plastic brush... but the engine and a lot of the pieces are purdy! I am also going to go ahead and get those Stainless Steel Brakelines I bought a while ago on and my Crane Gold Roller Rockers with Hardened Push Rods should be here tomorrow too so maybe just maybe I can have this back in tomorrow!! Goals, goals, goals... we shall see. I need to find that cam bearing tool. I took a few pictures I will post them shortly.

First let me start by saying sorry for hijacking a thread, I'm still too new to start my own. I need help! I just bought my C5 in July.it's completely upgraded, I don't even know exactly what I have. I'm having clutch/shifting issues in addirion to my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Can anyone tell me a good, affordable, trustworthy mechanic in Tucson. Thanks for your help.

You have a yeller Vette so you can hijack most any thread. :smilelol

Thanks. The shift is "clicky" (for lack of better word) I feel it catch every gear where it used to be smooth, brake masters guy said feels like air in hydraulics? It is all high performance so I'm leary of taking it just anywhere.

Bring it over this weekend worse case we can bleed your system and do the Ranger Mod see if that helps. Just buy the fluid and some food.

I would recommend changing out the trans fluid as well. From your avatar It's a 2000 or newer... If it's a 2000 DO NOT use synthetic fluid. I use Castrol non-synthetic ATF in my 2000. If it's an 01 or up, get a good synthetic fluid, I like Red Line, but there are a bunch of good ones. Still, remember it's ATF. It takes a bit less than 3 quarts.

Bring it over this weekend worse case we can bleed your system and do the Ranger Mod see if that helps. Just buy the fluid and some food.

Dood, I can't tell you how many times Ried and I flushed yours in my garage...

We can do the Tranny fluid too if you like, I use Val Syn. in mine but then I am a Val. nut... lol. Yeah I know I did it a lot too then changed the master hoping it was not a slave issue... yeah... we know how that ended. But now I have a completely new clutch system! (And warranty parts too I love that lol) But on that note... I want a cam who has one someone pulled the cam out of an LS6 and wants to help out a fellow member come on :partydance:

It's a manual tranny, it's a 2000... But the guy I bought it from said tranny and rear end are less than 1 year old. So I have no idea what's under there. Oh and he used to race it.. If that changes things?

Guest Sidewinder

Thanks. The shift is "clicky" (for lack of better word) I feel it catch every gear where it used to be smooth, brake masters guy said feels like air in hydraulics? It is all high performance so I'm leary of taking it just anywhere.

:popcorn:

So I got a cam today, got a set of PRC Dual Spring Retainers I think (He was not sure what brand just that they tested to .640), however he thought they would work with the stock new retainers I had... yeah no.... So I need more help anyone have a set? Other than that, new cam bearings in, new main's in, new cam in, Roller Rockers are not here until tomorrow, but everything else is getting put on so this is just waiting on springs and I can finish it and put it back in the turner is already waiting for it this weekend to do a driving tune and then a dyno tune as soon as I can find a dyno to do it at.

So let me get this straight. You drove the car in the garage last Friday, pulled the engine, put in a new clutch, basically rebuilt the bottom end, slipped in a new cam, and will have it running and back out of the garage by this Friday. And you did all the work by yourself after working a regular day job and squeezing in the homework for school. Why was I under the impression that it would take at least 7 weeks to do that to a C5? :facepalm:

Basically, my self and a good friend have been doing this. However I have hit a few snags. 1) My Double Roller Timing Chain does not clear as promised 2) My New cam came with Valve Springs I can not use because they are missing hardware 3) My Rod Bearings did not show up and I failed to notice. Now numbers 1 and 3 I can fix easily, new stock timing chain and some bearings from a local store and I am fine. But finding the missing seats and retainers I need... thats another issue.

Guest badbobs95

I'm sure I would have tackled this job too when I was young. See, that's the best part of getting older, you don't even think about doing this stuff anymore. I'm getting a new clutch soon and when I do, I'll drop off the car and pick it up a few days later. Thank God for pension checks. YOU GO BOY!!!! Posted Image

Meh I don't feel young anymore.... Divorce does that I guess... or maybe its having a child... IDK... lol Either way, all problems solved! I bought some new Valve Springs a full kit from Larry's and I have everything else expect for the one motor mount I am still waiting on.... Oh well that I can do later. Tonight it gets completely reassembled and then tomorrow it goes back in! I am shooting to fire it tomorrow night unless its too late...