C4 conversion to LS3 hot cam

C4orce2

I've always wondered why I've never seen another C4 with the Boyd Coddington 17x10 Smoothies like the ones on mine. I finally asked the previous owner what the story was on the wheels since he was the one that bought them. He said he feel in love with them when he saw them on an older hot rod. He ordered them through some tire shop that apparently owed him a big favor. The shop placed the order but then was told that the offset on the wheels would not work on a C4. They were designed for older hot rods only. The shop owner went ahead and had Boyd Coddington custom make the wheels to fit the C4 and only charged the previous owner for the normal price of the wheels. As a result, I probably have the only set of these wheels you will ever see on a C4. Guess I'll keep them.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• C4orce2

• Desertdawg

• Eddie44

• TheCMSH

Love those wheels but I swear I saw a C5 with those on it but might be look-a-likes. I know nothing! Posted Image

That could be Bob, they just had to be custom made for C4s. I don't know if they would work on a C5 without modifications. The easiest way to tell if they are the same other than looks is to see if you can see a valve stem. If you see a valve stem, they are not the same wheels. My valve stems are on the inside of the wheels. If you watch some of the auctions on TV you will see them every now and then and always on older cars, usually custom hot rods.

post-1178-095253600 1328197248.jpg

• 7 months later...

Just realized that I never posted the dyno results on C4orce2. Here they are, 429whp and 442wtq. The pulls were done on 3/3/11 at Dyno Comp in Scottsdale on their loaded dyno. If you want to see a video of some of the pulls that were done a month before these results, go to the link below my signature and look for the album about the dyno pulls.

post-1178-040635700 1347295015.jpg

You know me Dawg, I'm a long way from a mechanical genius. However, I know it has bigger injectors and probably a different computer (E67). Next time I'm at an ACE event I will bring my book. It has a complete list of all the parts and a complete write-up on the engine.

I guess can look up the differences, I was just wondering if there was anything else done during the install...

I guess can look up the differences, I was just wondering if there was anything else done during the install...

Nothing else was done to the engine itself, as far as I know. We used the cold air intake that was already on the car, added long tube headers and used the 3" exhaust that was already in place. New fuel pump, fuel line, etc., and the tranny was modified to work with the drive-by-wire engine. Wes Burch's interface tied the two computers together and saved the digital readings on the dash. Didn't save cruise control or traction control. Also a new alum heavy duty radiator, new AC comp and alt.

Just remembered that I had the engine specifications in pdf form. Here they are. Hope this helps.

LS3 hot cam specifications.pdf

• 4 months later...

Since I was out at the Pavilons all day Saturday, I'm just watching the recorded action at BJ for that day. Just saw two C2s with the same engine as C4orce2 go across the block with both of them going for around $150,000. The sellers called the engines the LS3 Cammer with 500 hp. A good sign for the future! :banannarainbow:

When I hear "Cammer", I think the Ford 427 SOHC engine.

From Wikipedia:

The Ford Single Overhead Cam (SOHC) 427 V8 engine, familiarly known as the "Cammer",[33] was released in 1964 to maintain NASCAR dominance and to counter the Chrysler 426 Hemi engine. The Chrysler 426 used an extremely large block casting that dwarfed the earlier 392 Hemi. The Ford 427 block was closer dimensionally to the early Hemis than to the elephantine 426 Hemi: the Ford FE bore spacing was 4.63 in (117.6 mm) compared to the Chrysler 392's bore spacing of 4.5625 in (115.9 mm). The Ford FE's deck height of 10.17 in (258.3 mm) was lower than that of the Chrysler 392 at 10.87 in (276.1 mm). For comparison, the 426 Hemi has a deck height of 10.72 in (272.3 mm) and bore spacing of 4.8 in (121.9 mm); both Chrysler Hemis have decks more than 0.5 in (12.7 mm) taller than the FE.

The engine was based on the high performance 427 side-oiler block, providing race-proven durability. The block and associated parts were largely unchanged, the main difference being use of an idler shaft instead of the camshaft in the block, which necessitated plugging the remaining camshaft bearing oiling holes.

The heads were newly-designed cast iron items with hemispherical combustion chambers and a single overhead camshaft over each head, operating shaft-mounted roller rocker arms. The valvetrain consisted of valves larger than those on Ford wedge head engines, made out of stainless steel and with sodium-filled exhaust valves to prevent the valve heads from burning, and dual valve springs. This design allowed for high volumetric efficiency at high engine speed.

The idler shaft in the block in place of the camshaft was driven by the timing chain and drove the distributor and oil pump in conventional fashion. An additional sprocket on this shaft drove a second timing chain, 6 ft (1.8 m) long, which drove both overhead camshafts. The length of this chain made precision timing of the camshafts an issue to be considered at high rpms.

The engine also had a dual-point distributor with a transistorized ignition amplifier system, running 12 amps of current through a high-output ignition coil.

The engines were essentially hand-built with racing in mind. Combustion chambers were fully machined to reduce variability. Nevertheless, Ford recommended blueprinting the engines before use in racing applications. With a single four-barrel carburetor they were rated at 616 horsepower (459 kW) at 7,000 rpm & 515 lb·ft (698 N·m) of torque @ 3,800 rpm, and while equipped with dual four-barrel carburetors they made 657 horsepower (490 kW) at 7,500 rpm & 575 lb·ft (780 N·m) of torque @ 4,200 rpm. Ford sold them via the parts counter, the single four-barrel model as part C6AE-6007-363S, the dual carburetor model as part C6AE-6007-359J for $2350.00 (as of October, 1968). Weight of the engine was 680 lb (308 kg).[34]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_FE_engine

Cammer is definitely a Ford term, but it is nice to see those types of vettes still bringing some money.

.... both of them going for around $150,000.

No doubt they were buying the motor, and there's no way either of them could have been red at that price... :lol

Sadly about half of what they sold for last year .... Unfortunately one of my clients is too well aware of that .... Fortunately ... It runs really good ... Thx to Parker .... :rockon2:

• 11 months later...

Hey guys, thought I'd let you know about a "saint" who signed up as an ACEhole some time ago. He goes by 3D87C4 and has a '87 coupe. He lives in Los Altos, CA, and started looking at this thread when he decided to have an EROD (stock LS3) put in his vette. While our engines are not totally the same, he was interested in the problems Kim and Wes encountered during my build which took 4.5 months to complete. OK, why is he a saint? He gave his car to a shop in the NW to install the EROD in December of 2011 and just got it back in October of 2013. It took his shop 22 months to do the build and he still has not passed the CA emissions tests. I thought 4.5 months was a long time for a build; didn't realize how lucky I was. Anyway, my hat off to him for his patience!! :ACE:

PS: here is the thread on his build on the big forum. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-general-discussion/2958914-erod-ls3-2.html

Bromley's Corvettes

WOW almost two years for a engine swap yikes. I knew shops dont like working on C-4s but damn thats a long time to install a engine. I have done full restorations in less time.

Just read his recent postings on the big forum in the thread I mentioned above. He is so upset about what the CA a$$holes are doing to him that he is offering it for sale anywhere out of CA. He is also thinking about making the car legal for WA and giving it to his brother. What a shame!!!

• 1 month later...

As of yesterday, he still did not get past CA emissions. They determined that when the builder lowered to car it only left 2 inches of clearance between his CATs and the ground. So he has it raised back up and getting ready to try again to get it past the ref. He is the MAN!!!

• 2 months later...

Apparently 3D87C4 finally got his '87 C4 with the EROD past CA emission yesterday. He gave his car to the shop in December of 2011 and now, finally, can start enjoying it! He truly is a saint!

:knee:

• 11 months later...

Was watching a rerun of the 2015 Kissimmee Mecum auction and saw a C1 vert resto mod and a C2 vert resto mod go across the stage. Both cars had the same engine in them that my car does, the LS3 Hot Cam. The C1 sold for $87,000 and the C2 sold for $100,000. Guess I put the right engine in the wrong car. Oh well, someday someone may think it would be a good idea to see if that engine works in a C4 (probably long after I'm gone). :facepalm:

hey doug, how long on my neighbor fred's car? I sent him over to you and want to take a ride this year. Lol

WOW almost two years for a engine swap yikes. I knew shops dont like working on C-4s but damn thats a long time to install a engine. I have done full restorations in less time.