C4 conversion to LS3 hot cam

C4orce2

If any of you ever get the chance to do this, take advantage of it. Its a blast!

I offered Sean all the verts he'd need a couple years ago Larry. He feels ACE are uncontrollable rebels. He said he needed folks that wouldn't embarrass the club. I quit offering after that misinformed statement.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• C4orce2

• Desertdawg

• Eddie44

• TheCMSH

If any of you ever get the chance to do this, take advantage of it. Its a blast!

I offered Sean all the verts he'd need a couple years ago Larry. He feels ACE are uncontrollable rebels. He said he needed folks that wouldn't embarrass the club. I quit offering after that misinformed statement.

Sorry Eddie, I did not realize that was his attitude. There are a lot of rules that have to be followed strictly or we loose the chance of doing it in the future, but I do not believe our "reblels" would have a problem following them (with the possible exception of Victor that is). The next one is 2/27/11 and as we get closer I will talk to him. Thanks for the info.

Guest killer408

You got to take my favorite driver. I got to do the same in a Chevy truck when I worked as a Service Writer for Chapman Chevrolet. It was a blast. Did you get a autograph from him?

You got to take my favorite driver. I got to do the same in a Chevy truck when I worked as a Service Writer for Chapman Chevrolet. It was a blast. Did you get a autograph from him?

No I didn't. I didn't know very much about him and we were not to bother them anymore than necessary. He seemed like a nice kid and was curious about the car. I also met one of the NAPA representatives who came out to look at all the vettes before the parade laps. We talked about the problems they had been having during the season. One of our club members is a big Gordon fan and I believe he got to meet Jeff in person. At the last race that member got lucky and was the one to take Gordon on his lap. It's the luck of the draw as to who you get.

Forgot to add that I also got to meet Jack Roush. He also came back to look at the vettes before the race. Not sure why though.

• 4 weeks later...

I forgot about the attached pic of your favorite driver.

post-1178-046351500 1291960089.jpg

I don't see a driver...all I can see is some guy waving. :lol

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see a driver...all I can see is some guy waving. :lol

I think my wife took this picture this way on purpose. She obviously thinks the car looks better with me blocked out! She's is 100% correct.

• 2 weeks later...

As some of you know, if have a similar thread on CF which I did not start until C4orce2 was completed. I have not posted to this thread or the one on CF for some time since I'm waiting for LPM to tune to car before posting the final results. I checked both threads today and was surprised to see a combined total of hits in exess of 5,000!! I appreciate the interest many of you have shown in the project and will keep the thread alive to not only give you the tuning results but also other updates on what we are doing with the car. Thank you all!

a combined total of hits in exess of 5,000!!

I just keep hitting reload about 10 times everytime I read this thread, sorry about the inflated numbers.. :lol

Still waiting for numbers!

Yes, its been done since early August. I now have about 7,500 miles on the new engine. All I am waiting for is the tune that LPM is going to do sometime this month, hopefully! For pics go to the photobucket listed under my signature. Once there, go to the album entitled "build of C4orce2", it has all the pics.

Just a quick update as of 1-21-11. Still waiting for LPM to tune C4orce2; hopefully still this month. This morning I met with Kim Madsen and Alan Colvin at Kim's shop in Tempe. Alan was the editor-in-chief for Corvette Fever until about 6 or 8 months ago. Many of you know of him and his work. He and Kim are the individuals behind the C4orce Project that was started by Corvette Fever and Alan. Kim also had C4orce1 at his shop today and they made a video talking about both cars and the C4orce Project. Not sure where the video will be displayed but I will update everyone as soon as I know. It was great to finally meet Alan and I look forward to working with him and Kim on the project in the future.

Here is a post I just made on CF: Thought some of you might get a kick out of this. Thursday, 1/20/11, Alan Colvin, Kim Madsen and several other employees of Corvette Restoration AZ, were all at the Barret Jackson auction here in Scottsdale. One of the employees ran into one of the engineers from GM Performance and started describing some of the difficulties they ran into during the build of C4orce2. The GM engineer said that the employee must be mistaken since it was impossible to put a LS3 Hot Cam in a C4. Alan Colvin knows the GM engineer well and said he will find him at the auction today and refer him to my photobucket and the album "build of C4orce2" so he can see that it is possible! Maybe I should offer to take the engineer on a ride! Today {1/22/11) I will have the car on show at the Pavilions in Scottsdale, about 5 miles from the site of the Barret Jackson auction. Every Saturday for the last 22 years there has been an unoffical car show at the Pavilions with around 150 cars. However, when the auctions are in town (this weekend there are 4 other big auction in the Phoenix area besides Barret Jackson) many of the owers who have not sold their cars by Saturday morning bring them to the Pavilions and try to sell them without commissions or sales tax. So today there will be up to 1,000 cars at the Pavilions. If the GM Performance engineer wants to see C4orce2 for himself, we will suggest he comes down to the Pavilions and see the "impossible".

• 5 months later...

Quick update: Took the car to Loud Pedal this morning to have new teflon rear axle washers installed. For a long time I've had a clicking noise coming from the left rear whenever I put the car in gear or put any real torque on the rear end. Naturally the problem got worse with the new engine and its torque. Saw that problem discussed on the big forum and the solution seemed to be teflon washers that go on the rear axle (don't ask me where). Mike ordered the parts and installed them this morning. The parts only cost about $10 each and the install was very reasonable (as is always the case with LPM). End result, no more clicking. In fact Mike found that the washers were completely missing on the car. Evidentally whoever had replaced my U-Joints on both sides last time around, failed to even install the washers. If any of you C4 owners are having the same clicking noise, see Mike. Thanks LPM. :yourock:

Very nicely done Larry :) ..on doing the 'impossible' .. I had a guy who raced his 340 Duster in NHRA brackets who had a rep as bein the 'go to' guy for hot rodding a Duster tell me to my face it was impossible to put a 440 in a Duster. While we were standing in front of mine. I laughed at him and took the hood off my Duster ..was a Kodak moment. I was one of the first in SoCal to use the A-body K-frame that chrysler came out with that allowed a 'bolt-in.' There was a bit more to it than that, but it *did* run very well for decades. -Frank

Solved one other minor problem. I was still having minor contact between the hood and one of the fittings on a hose between the radiator and the AC compressor. There were a few other areas where minor contact was being made, areas not resulting from the installation of the LS3 hot cam. So I finally decided if I could not lower these contact areas, I should raise the hood. I placed spacers behind the hood equipment located on the hood and that raised the back of the hood just over 1/4 inch. Doesn't seem like much, but that should take care of all of the contact points. I will see over the next few weeks since I have touched up the paint at the contact points. When you look at the car you can tell the hood is not sitting correctly, but it doesn't look bad and it is worth it to avoid the contact. Besides, the hood is always up at all shows. :rockon2:

• 4 weeks later...

The oil pressure sensor on my LS3 "hot cam" apparently has gone bad already. From what I hear that is a common problem with the LS3s. My analogue gauge on the dash reads over 100 psi all the time so we know that the sensor is bad or prehaps I have a short in the wiring. We will replace the sensor and also add a mechanical Auto Meter carbon fiber 2-1/16 gauge on the A pillar as a back up. While I doubt I will ever have an oil pressure problem on the LS3 I want the backup gauge so if the sensor keeps giving me problems I will not be running blind folded. :3gears:

Wow? How did I ever miss this??????

Tell him log on and pay close attention to my sig pic! :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

The oil pressure sensor on my LS3 "hot cam" apparently has gone bad already. From what I hear that is a common problem with the LS3s. My analogue gauge on the dash reads over 100 psi all the time so we know that the sensor is bad or prehaps I have a short in the wiring. We will replace the sensor and also add a mechanical Auto Meter carbon fiber 2-1/16 gauge on the A pillar as a back up. While I doubt I will ever have an oil pressure problem on the LS3 I want the backup gauge so if the sensor keeps giving me problems I will not be running blind folded. :3gears:

Wow, that could be a bear to change unless you relocated the sensor before you placed the engine, if I remember correctly your motor is pretty well tucked back. It is fairly common on the LS1, I've not heard of it so much on the LS3. To do it on an LS1 (without butchering the car) you have to remove the intake.

Since then things have changed a little concerning the relationship between ACE and FGCC. Last Feb the weather looked bad for the NASCAR parade lap at PIR and Sean was concerned that some of the vert owners from Prescott and Tucson may not make the trip. If too many of them failed to show up FGCC would not have the 45 vert needed for the event. I talked to Sean and got two ACE vert owners lined up to do the event if we needed them. In exchange, those two ACE members were guaranteed to be part of the next NASCAR event this upcoming Nov. Since I have done it twice I may not do it this Nov. Everyone showed up and the two ACE members did not need to get out of bed and join us at 6:30 in the morning, but they will be part of the Nov event which will be the first event on the new track at PIR. Sean also went with us on the Father's Day run in his '09 ZR1 and had a blast. I believe there will be more events in the future where FGCC members join with the ACEholes, at least if Eddie and I have anything to say about it. After all, we all know that Eddie is the only wild one in the ACE group!! :smilelol

Wow, that could be a bear to change unless you relocated the sensor before you placed the engine, if I remember correctly your motor is pretty well tucked back. It is fairly common on the LS1, I've not heard of it so much on the LS3. To do it on an LS1 (without butchering the car) you have to remove the intake.

You are correct that my LS3 sits closer to the firewall than most LS3s. However, I have been able to stick my fat stubby hands down to the sensor and unplug and replug the pigtail into it. We may relocate the sensor if it is just the sensor that is bad. If it is a ground somewhere in the wiring, we will forget about the sensor all together and find a new location for the mechanical gauge to tie into. In any event, I will have the mechanical gauge hooked up and may or may not have the sensor working as well. Shouldn't be as bad as the LS1 fix.

I would have to agree with Larry in regards to FGCC. We now have at least four ACE members who are also FGCC members. I think the more exposure they get to ACE the more dual members we'll see.

• 4 months later...

Just to clear up any confusion about the engine I now have. I call it the LS3 Hot Cam, but it's correct name is the LS376/480 Hot Cam. That's the way it is shown in the GMPP list of crate engines. Some people call it by the other name since it is a LS3 with the GM Hot Cam added along with others parts like bigger injectors. Sorry if this has caused any confusion. :facepalm: