C4 conversion to LS3 hot cam

C4orce2

Thought some of you might be interested in what I'm doing with my 92 C4 convertible. Many of you have probably seen it at various shows. It is highly modified with ghost flames, air brushing, custom interior with carbon fiber, etc. This week I am leaving for Europe for 7 weeks and gave my car to Kim at Corvette Restoration AZ. I am having a new LS3 with the hot cam installed. It is a crate engine with 480 hp and 475 torque. With the other modifications already in the car the total hp will be well over 500. We're also installing a Dana 44 3.08, new heavy duty radiator, new computer, etc. It will be ready when I return in early May. It looks like the conversion will be featured in Corvette Fever in the future. If anyone is interested I can attempt to share some pictures of the conversion as it progresses or I'm sure Kim would not mind you viewing the progress at his shop. Larry Here's the link to my photobucket with lots of pics: http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc479/c4orce2/

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• C4orce2

• Desertdawg

• Eddie44

• TheCMSH

I heard about this at the meeting Friday. Sounds awesome! If you want to email me pics as it progresses I'll be glad to post them.

Thought some of you might be interested in what I'm doing with my 92 C4 convertible. Many of you have probably seen it at various shows. It is highly modified with ghost flames, air brushing, custom interior with carbon fiber, etc. This week I am leaving for Europe for 7 weeks and gave my car to Kim at Corvette Restoration AZ. I am having a new LS3 with the hot cam installed. It is a crate engine with 480 hp and 475 torque. With the other modifications already in the car the total hp will be well over 500. We're also installing a Dana 44 3.08, new heavy duty radiator, new computer, etc. It will be ready when I return in early May. It looks like the conversion will be featured in Corvette Fever in the future. If anyone is interested I can attempt to share some pictures of the conversion as it progresses or I'm sure Kim would not mind you viewing the progress at his shop.

Larry

Well it's not Crossfire..but it sounds pretty good!!!!

:banannadance:

I heard about this at the meeting Friday. Sounds awesome!

If you want to email me pics as it progresses I'll be glad to post them.

Thanks, Eddie, I'll do that. I should start getting pictures in a week or so. They plan on taking the LT1 out of the car this week. They will be taking a lot of pictures for the article. Kim is also about to start his TV show the Vette Whisperer and this conversion might be on that at some point in the future as well. Since Kim supports ACE I'm sure he'd let you look in if you wanted to as well.

I'll email you the pics as I get them. Thanks for the help.

Here's the LS3 crate motor. We'll post more as it progresses.

heard about this at the meeting Friday.

Cult? Be careful if they start serving Kool-Aid! (j/k!!!!) :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

I am having a new LS3 with the hot cam installed. It is a crate engine with 480 hp and 475 torque.

Is this a GM hot cam? and I'm guessing they are advertising 50 hp and 50 tq over the stock cam ?????

Pictures of the progress are always fun, and you should send us a few from Europe while your there too, I'm sure you will get to see stuff none of us ever will...

I am having a new LS3 with the hot cam installed. It is a crate engine with 480 hp and 475 torque.

Is this a GM hot cam? and I'm guessing they are advertising 50 hp and 50 tq over the stock cam ?????

Pictures of the progress are always fun, and you should send us a few from Europe while your there too, I'm sure you will get to see stuff none of us ever will...

You are correct on both counts. The LS3 is a GM Performance crate engine. The only difference between it and the stock LS3 is the cam. It added 50 hp and 51 tqe. They also have a 515 hp LS3 that does not use fuel injection, however, the torque is down on that one.

There are things here that you would otherwise never see, and probably would not ever want to see. It's hard getting pics out of here but when I get back in May I will have some of them posted.

You are correct on both counts. The LS3 is a GM Performance crate engine. The only difference between it and the stock LS3 is the cam. It added 50 hp and 51 tqe. They also have a 515 hp LS3 that does not use fuel injection, however, the torque is down on that one.

There are things here that you would otherwise never see, and probably would not ever want to see. It's hard getting pics out of here but when I get back in May I will have some of them posted.

I should clarify one point. I am in Europe for 7 weeks this time. However, it is in Albania! Not exactly the garden spot of Europe. For the second half of 2009 and most likely all of 2010 and some of 2011 I spend about 2/3s of my time here working for a small oil company that has control of a large oil field here. If you like pictures of horse drawn carts, I'm your guy. If you like pics of beautiful old buildings and lovely cities, sorry, I can not help you out. They have started removing the LT1 from my 92. I should have some good pics of the work very soon since they are documenting the project for Corvette Fever. The managing editor of that magazine has confirmed that they will run an article on the project sometime in the future. As I get the pics I will forward them to Eddie for posting since I am 'IT challenged'.

Dude, I think your holding out on us...........

Posted Image

All right, where did you get that picture of my wife?

Thought some of you might be interested in what I'm doing with my 92 C4 convertible. Many of you have probably seen it at various shows. It is highly modified with ghost flames, air brushing, custom interior with carbon fiber, etc. This week I am leaving for Europe for 7 weeks and gave my car to Kim at Corvette Restoration AZ. I am having a new LS3 with the hot cam installed. It is a crate engine with 480 hp and 475 torque. With the other modifications already in the car the total hp will be well over 500. We're also installing a Dana 44 3.08, new heavy duty radiator, new computer, etc. It will be ready when I return in early May. It looks like the conversion will be featured in Corvette Fever in the future. If anyone is interested I can attempt to share some pictures of the conversion as it progresses or I'm sure Kim would not mind you viewing the progress at his shop.

Larry

Just a quick update. Its 3/25/10 and the hood if off and the engine stripped down to the bare bones. Kim Madsen at Corvette Restoration AZ is working with the C4orce group that has done these LS3 conversions in the past, although probably not with my LS3 hot cam. They are already sending us such parts as motor mounts that they know will work, headers, etc. Of course the biggest problem is the computer. From what I understand (probably not much), instead of using just one new computer, they build a computer interface set up that makes the old computer work with the new one that came with the engine. They have done this before and are preparing the device now. I've been told that mine will be a "one of a kind", most likely due to the LS3 hot cam enging instead of the normal LS3. Please do not hold me to that explanation since I am "IT Challenged". Once the motor mounts come in, the old LT1 comes out and the real work begins. If any of you know of anyone looking for a good LT1, have them contact Kim Madsen. He will be selling the engine for me. Its in good shape with about 97,000 miles on it. They are taking a lot of pics for "Corvette Fever" for their article and I will pass them along as I get them. That's all for now.

Sounds COOL! Good Luck... So, has anyone ever heard of an L-98 swap with an LT-1?????

Just an update. At 1:30 pm today, 4/2/10, the LS3 was installed. So far, so good. Still no pics to share. I'm still promised the car will be done by 5/5/10 when I return from Albania. Should not be a problem unless Corvette Restoration AZ encounters some new problems. They are getting a lot of technical assistance from the people with C4orce.

Just an update. At 1:30 pm today, 4/2/10, the LS3 was installed. So far, so good. Still no pics to share. I'm still promised the car will be done by 5/5/10 when I return from Albania. Should not be a problem unless Corvette Restoration AZ encounters some new problems. They are getting a lot of technical assistance from the people with C4orce.

Pure sweetness!

Below are some pics of Larry's conversion taken during a field trip that Fast Glass Corvette Club (which Larry and I belong to) took to the shop. The LT1 out The LS3 just installed Another view full view The club members oogling it.

Awesome swap! Siick power and no more freakin' Optispark! BRILLIANT! :cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Below are some pics of Larry's conversion taken during a field trip that Fast Glass Corvette Club (which Larry and I belong to) took to the shop.

The LT1 out

The LS3 just installed

Another view

full view

The club members oogling it.

Just a short update. All issues seem to have been solved. Radiator will be installed shortly. Dana 44 with 3.08 gears on its way. New parts to hang ac compressor on their way. Exhaust system (3" all the way) complete with long tube headers done. Electrical interface between the two computers on its way. It appears that the car will be finished when I return to their shop on 5/5. First major test will be the Plastic Fantastic car show in San Diego on 5/16. I will have the towing companies card with me then, just in case!! As soon as I get more pics I will get them posted and also let you know when the article on the conversion will be in "Corvette Fever".

This is going to be cool to see when done. Is the magazine taking this to shows and paying the tab or is that just what you're doing with it? Will be a great conversation piece for sure. :flag

This is going to be cool to see when done. Is the magazine taking this to shows and paying the tab or is that just what you're doing with it? Will be a great conversation piece for sure. :flag

As far as I know they are just doing an article about the conversion since this qualifies as one of the C4orce projects. Unfortunately I am paying the tab. Kim at Corvette Restoration AZ may be getting some of their help in consideration of the article. The guys involved in the C4orce Project for the magazine have been a big help since they have put other LS engines in C4s and that knowledge has helped with the installation of this LS3 hot cam eventhough this particular engine apparently has never been installed in a C4 before now. No one has talked about them using the car for shows or other promotional events and that would have to be negotiated. If I hear more about any proposal they have for their future use of the car I'll let everyone know, otherwise it will just be in an article in the future and maybe, just maybe, the cover story since the car shows very well with its ghost flames, etc. Thanks for your interest.