C4 conversion to LS3 hot cam

C4orce2

Had a great time taking the car out on both the 9/11 and 9/12 ACE trips. I'm happy to report absolutely no new problems with about 3500 miles on the new engine. Wes Burch will be in town within the next two weeks to install the final computer interface at Corvette Restoration's shop. I plan on having him meet Nic D to get the details Nic needs to do the tune. It was great meeting many of you the last two days and I was glad to show many of you the nearly completed project. I'm sure I will see many more of you next week in Prescott. I will be there with other members of Fast Glass Corvtte Club showing C4orce II, obviously in the C4 custom class. Please come by and introduce yourselves, my wife and I will be glad to meet even more new friends.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• C4orce2

• Desertdawg

• Eddie44

• TheCMSH

Had a great time taking the car out on both the 9/11 and 9/12 ACE trips. I'm happy to report absolutely no new problems with about 3500 miles on the new engine. Wes Burch will be in town within the next two weeks to install the final computer interface at Corvette Restoration's shop. I plan on having him meet Nic D to get the details Nic needs to do the tune. It was great meeting many of you the last two days and I was glad to show many of you the nearly completed project. I'm sure I will see many more of you next week in Prescott. I will be there with other members of Fast Glass Corvtte Club showing C4orce II, obviously in the C4 custom class. Please come by and introduce yourselves, my wife and I will be glad to meet even more new friends.

Congrats...there's a car show in Prescott!!!! The Vette show? Can someone still get in?

I don't believe you can get in the Prescott show now. Earlier this evening I received an email from the director of the show. They send out updates to everyone who has registered. Tonight's update indicated that all the spots have been taken. I know that over a week ago they only had 10 spots left so I'm not surprised if it is all sold out now. I just checked their website and confirmed that they have sold all 250 spots for this years show. It is a great show so you may want to keep it in mind for next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out that Wes Burch will be in town shortly after 10/20 to install the final computer interface. He estimates it will take a couple of days to fine tune it and mount it. After that I plan on taking the car to Loud Pedal for a tune on their new loaded dyno. Since it dynoed at 395 RWHP without any tuning, without the final computer interface and in 107 degree heat, I hope to get the final RWHP up somewhere around 420. I will post the final results when I have them. In the meantime, the car has earned awards in 4 out of the last 5 shows (only exception was Prescott). Car runs great and I'm having a blast driving it to shows all over the state.

Just found out that Wes Burch will be in town shortly after 10/20 to install the final computer interface. He estimates it will take a couple of days to fine tune it and mount it. After that I plan on taking the car to Loud Pedal for a tune on their new loaded dyno. Since it dynoed at 395 RWHP without any tuning, without the final computer interface and in 107 degree heat, I hope to get the final RWHP up somewhere around 420. I will post the final results when I have them. In the meantime, the car has earned awards in 4 out of the last 5 shows (only exception was Prescott). Car runs great and I'm having a blast driving it to shows all over the state.

Nice seeing and talking to you Saturday night at the Pavilions Larry. See you there the next time. :rockon2:

• 3 weeks later...

Update as of 10/16/10. Wes Burch will be here on 10/21 from Florida to install the final computer interface. I am going to try and have him meet Dave and Mike at LPM to go over the car. LPM will be tuning it later in the month or the first of November on their new loaded dyno. Hopefully that will be done before the LPM get together on 11/13. I am hoping for a final dyno run of around 410 to 420 at the wheels after the tune and in cooler weather. The only one I have now is 395 at the wheels done without the final interface, with no tuning, and on a 108 degree day.

So your hoping to gain 115 HP with a 30 degree temp drop and a tune?

Unless my math is really bad, 410-395 is 15, not 115. But I could be wrong!

Dawg does the math real good! :facepalm:

Well I guess we should probably cut Dawg some slack. He does drive an atomic orange car after all!!

I knew there was a reason I never took a train anywhere. :rolleyes

Well I guess we should probably cut Dawg some slack. He does drive an atomic orange car after all!!

I knew there was a reason I never took a train anywhere. :rolleyes

Posted Image

Maybe we can have some fun with my upcoming tune. What is everyone's guess as to what my final rear wheel hp will be after the tune on LPM's new loaded dyno? Remember, the only dyno I have had done was right after the conversion to the LS3 hot cam was complete, the car had not been tuned, and it was 108 degrees that day. That run showed 395 hp at the rear wheels. The winner will get to give Dawg some math lessons!!

Ever since my 700r4 was modified to work with the new drive-by-wire LS3 hot cam, I've been having problems with the lock up on the torque converter. Between 55 and 75 mph it would lock, then unlock, at will. Not a huge problem but probably not good on the tranny. 15 months ago I had the tranny rebuilt at Trail Transmission in Apache Junction after several of you referred me to that shop. The manager there is Jerry Smith. Last week I had Jerry and Wes Burch (the gentlemen who has been doing the engineering on my conversion) discuss the lock up problem and they came up with a solution. I took the car to Jerry yesterday and the problem is solved. One more small problem solved. Thurs and Friday of this week Wes will be installing the final computer interface then its off to tuning at LPM. The project is finally near completion.

I'm happy to report that my car is completely finished. Wes Burch came into town from Florida this last Thursday and installed the final computer interface. Now everything is functioning perfectly. Wes went to the Kool FM car show with the Fast Glass club and had a good time before leaving Saturday night. I'd like to thank Kim Madsen and everyone else at Corvette Restoration AZ, Wes Burch from Florida and Jerry Smith at Trail Transmission in Apache Junction for all their work in completing this difficult project. I hope my car serves as a blue print for other projects like it. See you all soon at a show or other ACE event. Thanks for your interest over the last several months.

I'm happy to report that my car is completely finished. Wes Burch came into town from Florida this last Thursday and installed the final computer interface. Now everything is functioning perfectly. Wes went to the Kool FM car show with the Fast Glass club and had a good time before leaving Saturday night. I'd like to thank Kim Madsen and everyone else at Corvette Restoration AZ, Wes Burch from Florida and Jerry Smith at Trail Transmission in Apache Junction for all their work in completing this difficult project. I hope my car serves as a blue print for other projects like it.

See you all soon at a show or other ACE event. Thanks for your interest over the last several months.

Congrats! How much power did you make?

I'm happy to report that my car is completely finished. Wes Burch came into town from Florida this last Thursday and installed the final computer interface. Now everything is functioning perfectly. Wes went to the Kool FM car show with the Fast Glass club and had a good time before leaving Saturday night. I'd like to thank Kim Madsen and everyone else at Corvette Restoration AZ, Wes Burch from Florida and Jerry Smith at Trail Transmission in Apache Junction for all their work in completing this difficult project. I hope my car serves as a blue print for other projects like it.

See you all soon at a show or other ACE event. Thanks for your interest over the last several months.

Congrats! How much power did you make?

Not sure at this time. As soon as LPM's new loaded dyno is ready to go I'm going to have the car tuned. A month ago when it was 108 outside I had it dynoed at LPM without any tuning at all and without the final computer interface. That day it came out at 395 hp at the wheels. It has a 700R4 so that put it right at the advertised 480 hp at the flywheel. With cooler temps and a good tune I am told we should get the hp up to somewhere over 500.

If anyone is interested, look in the current edition of "Vette". There is an article about Project C4orce. They may be doing an article about C4orce2, but it is too early to tell. If you look at the pics in my photobucket or have seen my car in person, you will see the dramatic improvements Kim Madsen made in C4orce2 vs. C4orce1. Of course on C4orce1 they were trying to work within a specific budget and installed a used 5.3 LS engine. Still the comparisons are interesting. C4orce1 is now in Kim's shop and once the interior is finished Kim and I plan on showing both cars together at local shows. Kim may also show them together at shows around the country. We will see.

• 3 weeks later...
post-1178-036734500 1289791501.jpg Had a great time at the NASCAR race at PIR today. 43 convertibles met at 6 am, had breakfast, then went to the track around 8:15. We were all given pit passes and were able to spend a couple of hours going thru the pit area and visiting with other fans. Then all the cars got on the track and waiting for about 30 minutes before we started picking up the drivers, one at a time, as they were introduced to the fans. I got Martin Truex, Jr., driver for NAPA Auto parts. The drivers all rode on our rear decks as we drove them around the track at about 15 mph. During my drive Martin asked what I had done to my car so I quickly gave him a run down of the build of C4orce2. We then took them down the pit lane and dropped each driver off at their respective cars. Then back to the infield parking for our cars and to the stands for the race. I recorded the TV coverage, the pre-race show, but as usual, they showed very little of the parade lap. If any of you ever get the chance to do this, take advantage of it. Its a blast!

If any of you ever get the chance to do this, take advantage of it. Its a blast!

We don't get invited.. Toetap