NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C3 owner? Step inside!

anmracing2

He's got awfully short fingers. I'm just saying......

Hey, don't get him mad...... He's still working on it...... :P

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LastC3

• anmracing2

• Desertdawg

• Bromley's Corvettes

Bromley's Corvettes

I have had Bench Works in Scottsdale rebuild boxs they do a good job. #480-946-3992 I have been able to adjust the pre load on C-3 boxs and drill and tap the cover for a zerk fitting and pump in some gresse and make the box feel like new. I have done it to probally 30 or so cars over the years and almost always works. If the box is super lose and the seal is leaking you will want to have it rebuilt but a lot of the cars the box just needs gresse and adjustment. The rag joint gets lose sometimes and makes a lot of play in the wheel if you replace that at the same time it makes a huge differance. I have had customers want me to replace the box or have it rebuilt for them and I say let me try and adjust it and gresse it and see how much better it feels first. I do it and there like wow you just saved me a bunch of money lol. I say yup thats what I do lol.

It was cool to help out Hal, just wish the humidity was lower...lol. Whew! I think we can lean that up a tad and be good and may want to play with that timing a little as well while on the dyno. Glad you like the new SOTP performance. :):partydance:

did some adjustments to the timing tonite ... got to the point of just getting a little ping ... so have to go back a touch ... all I can say is WOW .... totally got rid of the laziness in the lower rpm range .... launches as it did before we started the top end work ... but can still feel the 3k and up rush it never had before .....

still need to get hooked up with Jim to make certain the TB balance and fuel pressure is where it needs to be and we'll be ready for the dyno ........ can't wait ..... the numbers increase should be considerable ..... :thumbs:thumbs (CFI is comin alive)

I'm officially predicting a 20% increase in torque .... mark it down ... you heard it right here !!!! :rockon2::rockon2:

(((mike ... do i get to do some timing adjustments during the dyno runs ???)))

Sounds cool Hal, if you can let us know the dyno time so us lowly LSx owners can maybe attend...

Bromley's Corvettes

Hey Hal did you go with bigger exhaust? You should be four you have it dyno tuned.

That's intersting about adding more grease to a worn box. The GM boxes 63-82 are not vented, so by adding more grease (overfilling a full box) and as it heats up and expands it will either blow the seal or start leaking/weeping oil from the grease. It may work for a little while and feel better, but not a fix or money saver of any kind IMO. Adjusting the lash isn't a good idea either unless you take it all apart and go through the box, replace worn parts and set it back up properly with a dial indicator inch lb wrench, but this again is all just my opinion and everyone is entitled to one. :facepalm:

Bromley's Corvettes

Tom your funny lol. What do you think happens to the grease from the factory it drys up after 30 or 40 years. Every customer I have done it for has thanked me for saving him money. If a guy wants a new box or to have his rebuilt thats cool I do that to I was just saying sometimes you can just adjust it and add some grease and it works way better. Yes everyone has a opinion.

I don't know about being funny, but you're correct...you have your opinion and I have mine.

Unfortunately the pre-load was buried so no amount of grease or adjustment would help. I have adjusted it too many times in the past. Apparently one of the owners before us use to like to turn a lot……

The gears were so worn they needed replacing and the rag joint was shot. I would have rebuilt it myself but I just don’t have the time anymore so I sent it out. I really didn’t want to but sometimes you just have to let someone else do your work… It’s on the way back so it was done a lot faster, even with shipping, than I would have done it for anyway.

Andrew