NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

New C5 Bumper from 2F Industries/Performance

GuyverVette

Ok, Desertdawg asked me to post some info about my first custom project on a C5 Corvette.

First of all let me tell you guys a lil bit more about me.

I graduated from the Industrial Design school 4 years ago. I specialized in Car Design and my School Thesis was about custom interior and renovation/restoration of classic cars, the project was applied on a 1978 Camaro.

Once I was done with school I moved to Arizona and I worked for Greulich's auto body for a year, were I learned how to do some body work, not that I mastered the art at all but at least I know what it takes to get a job done.

Finally I got my actual job and this construction company, where pretty much I just draft in AutoCAD...

When I got my C5 a year ago I was so excited and I wanted to customize every inch of it, but I found there's not a lot of aftermarket body parts to choose from. Pretty much the only bumper available was the Tiger Shark (which I personally thinks is very ugly, but at least more functional than the stock C5 bumper and at the same time cleaner) and it was also very expensive ($800 - $900???)... So I decided I was going to make my own custom bumper for my car.

After drawing all kinds of weird styles and designs that came to my mind I found out that there's actually an existing design that was very clean and even better was already a GM design. So pretty much I inspired in the original idea from when I had my 1982 C3 of removing the frontal license plate holder to give it a cleaner look, which I found surprisingly similar to the actual look of the C6... So I decided to try a bumper with the clean characteristics of the C6 that would fit on the C5.

Now... why changing the awesome C5 look??? Well, first of all I think the body of the C5 is so sleek, smooth and clean, the sides only have one air duct that blends perfectly with the doors and fenders, the rear bumper is also very clean with just a few small details... but then you go to the front bumper and it looks like the GM designers just stuck every available element into the poor bumper. Two long fake grills with two small round fog lamps inside, two corner lamps that are also divided in 3 sections, two air ducts for the brake cooling (I guess the big fake ones weren't enough for the task) and to finish, the central "push to deploy airbags" button aka license plate holder/cover, that makes 7 different elements all stuck together in the smallest surface of the vehicle... and 3 of them are pretty much useless (unless you modify them)..... Not that I don't like the C5 bumper, I love the way the car looks, but I think it could use a cleaner and smoother front bumper to match the perfectly designed and balanced C5 body.

So I started by Photo shopping the bumper to see if it would actually look good... personally I loved the way it looked. Nice, clean and yet not a weird design that makes the car look like a "happy tiger fish" :devil10:

Before

C5xC5.jpg

After

C5xC6.jpg

One of the things that triggered the decision to do this is that it could use any after market or OEM gril, corner lights or foglamps made for a C6.

So, to start the prototype I got two bumpers, one extra C5 bumper in very bad shape and a C6 bumper that was discarded from a body shop, and pretty much I decided which parts from each bumper I wanted in or out.

I started by test fitting the size and proportion of the unmolested C6 bumper over the C5 vette... and it already looked like it belonged there. The proportions are pretty much the same,so that saved me a lot of work. Proof of the design compatibility and similarities between the C5 and C6.

corvettebumper3.jpg

corvettebumper1.jpg

One of the things I wanted to make clear is that this bumper is not intended to make a C5 look like a C6 so I smoothed a lil bit the edgy lines of the C6 bumper, I also removed the central piece where the "cowl" starts rising up. So cutting away the parts I didnt' needed of the C5 bumper and then overlapping the C6 on top until they met in a "common line", that's where I joined them together.

Here you can see the C5 bumper (white) and the C6 (blue) already getting matched together.

CorvetteBumperProcess7.jpg

After more cutting and trimming I found the optimum lines to blend them together, notice how the top center was removed from the C6 bumper to keep the stock hole marks for the C5 emblem as well as the flat and smooth shape.

CorvetteBumperProcess.jpg

Here you can see the common line, i primed it so have a real perception of the proportions.

CorvetteBumperProcess8.jpg

Once I got the desired shape, I glued them completely together with a heavy duty bumper resin and reinforced the back with fiberglass. Now I can start laying my bondo to smooth and blend the surface. (Notice that this is just a prototype so there's some be thick layers of bondo in some spots)

CorvetteBumpoerX4.jpg

So I installed my stock bumper back while I worked on the bumper off the car.... and took some pics of the car to remember how it used to look :D

CorvetteModel1.jpg

CorvetteModel2.jpg

CorvetteModel3.jpg

CorvetteModel4.jpg

Guess I did a very poor job cuz you can't even see the vette, LOL!!!! (pics taken by CMpixels.com)

Finally I got an almost finished product, still a diamond in rough and I decides to test fit it again and test drive it to find any problems that might happen like overheating or wind turbulence.... but everything worked perfectly. Got the C6 fog lamps installed and plugged in.

2Fbumper0.jpg

2Fbumper1-1.jpg

2Fbumper129.jpg

2Fbumper13.jpg

2Fbumper9.jpg

2Fbumper15.jpg

So, right now the bumper is at the body shop being finished by an expert.

So, in the process of creating this project a friend and I decided that we wanted make reproductions and start our own little business if the bumper happens to success as a new alternative front bumper for C5's They are becoming way more acce$$ible so that means more money left to play with. So my friend and I created 2F Industries/Performance (we still trying to figure the final name). We are lookin to get registered as a business, get the rights for the name and most importantly, getting a Patent on the bumper, which I'm working on that right now, making blue prints and everything. (Please don't steal the idea :D Lol)

2FFinal.jpg

So, once the prototype is completely flawless Ill cast a fiberglass mold to start manufacturing the reproductions. It's been a big investment so far and there's still a lot of money to spend before we can start watching some revenue, but hopefully this bumper can kick start our business so I can fuel some other ideas for more products for Corvettes and some other different cars. And fulfill the dream I had when I joined school because I wanted to design cars.... or at least create my own designs and ideas for good cars (Not civics, hahaha)

Wish me luck!! :)

I had some very good feedback two weekends ago at the Pavs, I really appreciate you comments and suggestions, either positive or negative, they help me to make things better and better.

I'll get pics as soon as I get the bumper back from the body shop.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GuyverVette

• Big Poppa

• Ted Y

• Desertdawg

Looks like you put many hours into thought and design. Good luck with the new business and hope finished product is what you are looking for. :thumbs

I like this.fb7d0d4d.gif You have done a great job on it. Can't wait to see it in person. You going to have this at the show Saturday?

I wish you the best in business and hope you make millions.... But....

I think the idea has a good base, but needs some pampering. I'm not sure there's a huge market for making a C5 look like a C6. If I wanted a C6 I would have bought one. I think, and I'm no reigning expert, that you should change it up a bit, make it a bit more aggressive, or at least unique.

I don't mean this to be poo pooing on your idea, just offering my opinion.

Great job. I'm envious of people who can create stuff with their mind and hands.

Have you thought about offering a version in carbon fiber? Might have good racing applications with better airflow. I wonder how this affects top speed or coefficient of drag?

Thanks everybody for your comments!!! :D

Mark: Well... I might just go with my Buick because the Vette is nose-less (unless I can have it painted that quick) but I definitely want to go check it out. Thanks for the motivation!!! :)

kwikvet: That's actually a good idea since I call my Vette the GuyverVette 2.0. C5.2 or C5.5 or something. Thanks for the feedback :)

Big Poppa: I appreciate your comment. I knew I was going to hear this (already heard it a couple times). You're right in a certain aspect. Why making it look like a C6 if you can just go buy a C6.... well, certainly the people who could be interested in getting something that looks like a C6 but just can afford half of it might just get a C5 instead. But like I said, this bumper is not intended to make a C6 conversion for a C5, I'm completely against morphing cars into something they are not (With the exception of the C1 and C2 body kits for C5's and C6's).

This bumper is intended to give the C5 a cleaner look. I took the front from having 7 different elements all stuffed at the smallest surface f the car to having only 3 elements (2 fog lamps and a grill) might be 5 if you count the corner lights, but they are so small compared to the C5 ones... and they can be easily blacked out and you wont even know they are there.

At the same time I tried to keep an original GM aspect so it doesn't look like a Rice Burner body kit, it looks more like an alternative or a small twist in the look without going with shapes that doesn't go with the C5's original design.

Also one of the big advantages are: The shroud around the radiator can be modified to allow the vette to breathe fresh air right from the front instead than from the bottom. This can improve the performance or race car applications, or Supercharged/Turbocharged Vettes with big intercoolers in the front. We've seen C5's that literally have to cut holes trough the bumper in order to give the intercooler a proper air ram.

I also believe that part of what makes the C5 look mean next to the C6 is the pop up headlights, that just look bad ass while closed, so even if the C6 style bumper might give the car a little friendlier look it still retains the mean look (in my opinion) also with the opportunity of allowing you to install a billet grille, or mesh or whatever aftermarket grill you feel like. (Black billet grille for me please).

Now, I definitely feel you about giving it a meaner or more aggressive look, and one of the ideas is to eventually come with a C6 Z06 style bumper. (it all depends on the success of this project right now). Or even better a design completely done by myself, bu I still need to polish my design skills before attempting that. But thanks for your comment, no hate at all, it was good feedback ;)

Ted: I want to do some carbon fiber parts like a front lip that can be sold as an extra for this bumper, and some other stuff that I dont want to spill so quick. But yeah you're right about the racing applications and about the drag coefficient... well It works for the C6 and both cars are so similar that it might be the same or better.... dunno. Thanks for the comments :)

No matter what, that's a helluva lot of work and she's coming along nicely.

I'd really like to get more air into the front end of mine...whether Tiger Shark (which I do like ;) ), your mod or something else.

I'll give you :thumbs :thumbs for sure.

Looks great but a little too much like the C6 without one of the C6's best characteristics, the headlights. The headlights were the first thing that hit me about the C6. I traded my C5 in at a Yuma dealer and driving home in the C6 the headlights came on and I could actually see. That's not even considering the POS headlight motors.

What about turn signals? The C6 has them in the headlight cluster, but your C5 used to have them on the bumper which is now gone...

The side marker lights are too far to the side to be seen well from the front. Maybe you can integrate an amber bulb into the fog lamps, or add amber LED's that light up when you signal? Just an idea.

You know I have to applaud you on your work and innovation, fantastic execution!!!

I have to agree with Chris though, I would have a tuff time going with the C6 look, I'm still a fan of the tiger shark and that is what my heart is set on, it will happen one of these days.

But I would be really interested in seeing something you designed yourself instead of using the C6 nose...

Looking in your mirror and seeing Chad breathing down your neck with his tiger shark is just menacing....

One day!!!

Oh and a really big thanks to CMpixels.com for the babe pics!!! :banannasword:

Looks great but a little too much like the C6 without one of the C6's best characteristics, the headlights. The headlights were the first thing that hit me about the C6. I traded my C5 in at a Yuma dealer and driving home in the C6 the headlights came on and I could actually see. That's not even considering the POS headlight motors.

Hi, I do like the C6 headlights, but I remember the first pics of the C6 that came out a lot of people complained that they looked like a Ferrari copy, other people just believed that the pop up headlight is like a Corvette trademark. Anyways, there's always the option to replace your pop ups with those aftermarket exposed headlights which in my opinion they look pretty good.

I love the C6, like Big Poppa said, if I wanted a C6 I'll go buy one (well... in a couple of years when I can afford it :D )

What about turn signals? The C6 has them in the headlight cluster, but your C5 used to have them on the bumper which is now gone...

The side marker lights are too far to the side to be seen well from the front. Maybe you can integrate an amber bulb into the fog lamps, or add amber LED's that light up when you signal? Just an idea.

Great question, I've been working on that too. One option is using the stock C6 corner lamps and adding LED's which is no big deal. The other option which I believe is the best is adding an orange LED strip inside the fog lamp kinda like the new Audi headlights. I'll keep you guys updated with that too. Thanks for the question :)

You know I have to applaud you on your work and innovation, fantastic execution!!!

I have to agree with Chris though, I would have a tuff time going with the C6 look, I'm still a fan of the tiger shark and that is what my heart is set on, it will happen one of these days.

But I would be really interested in seeing something you designed yourself instead of using the C6 nose...

Looking in your mirror and seeing Chad breathing down your neck with his tiger shark is just menacing....

Hahaha, its cool. It's not that I hate the Tiger Shark bumper, as a fact it does make the C5 looks cleaner, but in my opinion is too expensive and it makes the car look happy instead of mean. Not that looking happy is wrong or looks bad, I just think the car should look ass kicking mean. :devil

Hopefully I can come up with a new design, or maybe a touched up rear bumper, we'll see.

Thanks for your comments :)

Hi, I do like the C6 headlights, but I remember the first pics of the C6 that came out a lot of people complained that they looked like a Ferrari copy, other people just believed that the pop up headlight is like a Corvette trademark. Anyways, there's always the option to replace your pop ups with those aftermarket exposed headlights which in my opinion they look pretty good.

I love the C6, like Big Poppa said, if I wanted a C6 I'll go buy one (well... in a couple of years when I can afford it :D )

Great question, I've been working on that too. One option is making using the stock C6 corner lamps and adding LED's which is no big deal. The other option which I believe is the best is adding an orange LED strip inside the fog lamp kinda like the new Audi headlights. I'll keep you guys updated with that too. Thanks for the question :)

Hahaha, its cool. It's not that I hate the Tiger Shark bumper, as a fact it does make the C5 looks cleaner, but in my opinion is too expensive and it makes the car look happy instead of mean. Not that looking happy is wrong or looks bad, I just think the car should look ass kicking mean. :devil

Hopefully I can come up with a new design, or maybe a touched up rear bumper, we'll see.

Thanks for your comments :)

I saw your car at Pavs 2 weeks ago the bumper looked good in person good job :)

I went to the body shop yesterday to see how its coming and this guy did an awesome job!!! It is perfectly smoothed out, I'm going to pick it up today. I'm going to drive it primed for a couple days to see if it doesn't crack or there's weak spots and then I'll have it painted, ill probably repaint my hood at the same time.

I think the Tiger Shark front end looks as busy as the stock bumper, it just has a large central opening. The C6 bumper is much simpler.

I have to agree that there are not many front bumper options out there to replace the OEM C5. The Tigershark is certainly one but it too has it’s drawbacks as it looks like its smiling but still something I would consider. I would like to see something come along that is different, more aggressive looking without being over done but not look like a C6 either. I realize that this is the first design and refinement will take place. You have done a traffic job and I can’t wait to see it in person. Keep up the good work and best of luck in your new business. I’ve also PM your.

I have to agree that there are not many front bumper options out there to replace the OEM C5. The Tigershark is certainly one but it too has it’s drawbacks as it looks like its smiling but still something I would consider. I would like to see something come along that is different, more aggressive looking without being over done but not look like a C6 either. I realize that this is the first design and refinement will take place. You have done a traffic job and I can’t wait to see it in person. Keep up the good work and best of luck in your new business. I’ve also PM your.

Thanks for the Feedback!!! :)

I still think it could look more aggressive indeed. I'm thinking of developing a screw on front lip too to give it a more sporty, lower and aggressive profile.

I really like the way the front lip on the Viper GTSR has the adjustable turnbuckle supports. Looks very race car to me.

I really like the way the front lip on the Viper GTSR has the adjustable turnbuckle supports. Looks very race car to me.

Indeed!!! ;) I'm definitely aiming for functional stuff.

I think the Tiger Shark front end looks as busy as the stock bumper, it just has a large central opening. The C6 bumper is much simpler.

:agree

I picked the bumper yesterday from the body shop. Before painting, I'm going to drive it around a couple days to look for cracks, stress points, correct coolant temperature, noises at high speed etc.... Also have to take it with the fiberglass guys to get the pricing and time for the mold.

Hopefully I can paint it before the car show.. otherwise I'll paint it next week.

I think he did a great job.

IMAGE_257.jpg

IMAGE_258.jpg

IMAGE_261.jpg

IMAGE_267.jpg

IMAGE_271.jpg

IMAGE_273.jpg

IMAGE_269.jpg

Can't wait to see it painted!!! :)