• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChadC

• Big Poppa

• Desertdawg

• anmracing2

after about 4 miles and a few 80% WOT the oil pressure dropped to 15PSI at idle and 20PSI at crusing. The rockers started knocking due to starvation.

You could have destroyed piston ring ect. as well. Was it tuned at the time? What was the A/F and timing at? Too much heat causes the rings to expand and will pop chunks out of the pistons.

My money's on #7

phxscooby101

Chad, Thats not good news, sorry to hear that. I have been there and done that on this issue. If you do have to pull the motor and rebuild take your time in finding out how much horsepower you really want, then double whatever estimate cost you conclude. Last have fun doing it more power = more fun :partydance::partydance: Later Chad R

Here are some more action shots before the death of Roxxane.

.. ahh thoes weere happier times...

Tight spaces. Trying to make a AN10 fitting work.

IMGP0420.jpg

Some how the new Rad support was made differentley. I had to cut up the air dam support push brackets.

IMGP0418.jpg

Inner cooler in place. it is going to be force fed from the Tigershark opening.

IMGP0410.jpg

The new innercooler is piped differentley. Insted of going from the charger to the driver side, it goes to the passenger side. It reduced the tubing by 2/3.

IMGP0414.jpg

test fitting befire I put the hood on.

IMGP0415.jpg

asfter the car started one of the clamps blew off. made a large Wooshing noise.

IMGP0419.jpg

and now...

for the pictuers of her death.

IMGP0421.jpg

that gold in there aint for good luck. Only a few items in the LS engine use gold.

IMGP0422.jpg

and the crankshaft berrings are one of them. This is two of them. I suspect that one of the other journals has a spun berring in them.

damm this sucks.

Bummer. I assume the crank's gotta come out to be polished if it's going back in. If we're putting things back together, might as well put them together with parts we like. If the cylinder walls look ok and you don't have to do a new block, can you do a 402 stroker kit with low compression pistons? Forged crank and rods, cool, but does the block need to be forged at that point too? Do they even sell forged blocks? I'm not as studied on the forged replacement items as I'd like.

Any culprit to the oil starvation? You weren't using Mobil 1 were ya?

Dood, I feel for ya. I'll let my car keep yours company there this weekend.

Umm .. no .. blocks aren't forged.

(big steel stamping thingy that smashes semi-liquid metal to shape, increasing density at the molecular level.. just doesn't happen with a block yanno?)

They cast blocks . . lotta engineering goes into the alloys used.

Useda be iron blocks with high nickel content were the king.

Nowadays, there are some real nice aluminum ones out there, some use sleeves, some use coatings, ..some real monsters available.

(World Products makes a nice 481 cubic inch LS motor, bolt in, looks just like the one in there already ..purty much :)

-Frank

Ya, that's what I thought, but had to ask the stupid question anyway. I've seen guys do Iron blocks, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. Kinda ruins the character of the car if ya ask me.

Thanks for the pics, let us know what the final outcome is...

BTW, I already know what Chad is stuffing in next, but I'm not telling!!!

phxscooby101

Wow, Looks like maybe she was knocking? or over-rev droping a valve hows the piston tops? /or maybe shaving left in there from install and got to the bearing, but that does not explain the low oil pressure issue?

Recommendation DO NOT use any previous OIL related hoses, pans, oil coolers, that metal $hit WILL ruin your next motor. I had a simlar scare with my motor but since 1994 models and under motor do not use oil coolers i did find out til after she was running. Coils, hoses metal shaving like to collect in these spots. FYI

Recommendation DO NOT use any previous OIL related hoses, pans, oil coolers, that metal $hit WILL ruin your next motor. I had a simlar scare with my motor but since 1994 models and under motor do not use oil coolers i did find out til after she was running. Coils, hoses metal shaving like to collect in these spots. FYI

sage advise chad,

however I will be reusing the oil cooler, connecting hoses, oil pan, and that big hair dryer thingy on the front of the car.

all execpt for the oil cooler has been dissambeled, and doushed very well.

Yassir .. any of that gray lookin metallic oily stuff useda mean hot tankin the block, heads, along with a long spell in an ultrasonic bath for all the little peices (rockers, springs, pushrods an the like) to get all that junk outta there.

Hot tankin the block meant pullin every plug, ..especially the screw-in ones.

After it came back, would get on some old clothes, grab a high pressure hose, and get wet.

Pipe cleaners into the oil galleries, ..I was a bit of a fanatic about makin sure there was no debris left to cause trouble.

I never let a block sit after the process .. they useda rust while you watched :)

Taped, painted, an buttoned 'em up.

Less time opened up the better.

Real shame that happened to yas Chad, ..

First time I fired the Duster up after swappin to the solid cam ..ooo .. she sounded *mean* ..runnin with open velocity stacks initially ..the nut that held the air/cleaner scoop on top walked up the rear allthread rod and dropped into the carb.. apparantly.

Smooth syncopated fast idle turned 'lumpy' ..a cylinder went away.

Shut down, did a compression check, pulled the intake, head off that side, the nut was sittin on top of one piston.

Had bent the intake valve goin in.

Grr-rr.

Lucky it didnt phase the piston or head.

(big blocks have room :)

I had it back up an runnin in an hour ..just remember that feelin..

..sick to my stomach worried couldn't beleive it happened.

She'll make ya smile when you finally get her buttoned up again :)

Just gotta keep on keepin on.

-Frank

Nowadays, there are some real nice aluminum ones out there, some use sleeves, some use coatings, ..some real monsters available.

My 402 is aluminum and holds anything I throw at it.

With his block, I would pick up some quality pistons, crank and rods and build it back at 346ci. Very low budget build for 700rwhp on that setup. If you tune it before you romp it of course...

Andrew,

your link requires a login.

ergo... you suck at the interweb.

10/6/08 UPDATE

the stars are alinged.

the trucks are on schedule.

.. and i should have bought stock in FedEx for what im paying in shipping fees.

A new short block is set to arrive on Tuedsay. Lason at LPM has stepped up and ordered all the necessary "bits" to arrive tomorrow and Wed.

The only part im missing is an apporate cam shaft.

If I am luckey and all goes as planned

-the engine MIGHT be going in this week.

-the PCM COULD be tuned by this week.

-She MIGHT be ready for me earley next week.

-With LUCK we will not have any problems during the shake down drive.

and

-Roxxane MIGHT be going to Laughland.

.. im going to get an ulcer before this is done....

Well.. thing about a blower cam is .. it just doesn't matter.

May as well put in something you like.

Want it to lope? ..or want the stock sound?

Radical cam means running less boost, mild cam means running more boost,

..because you can get the same horsepower either way :)

You run less boost with a lot of overlap cause it will blow the fuel air charge right thru the cylinder and out the exhaust..

oh sure it's FUN an all, especially with zoomie headers ..at nite..but ..

..a milder cam will allow runnin more boost.

-Frank (ya .. I helped a guy with his alcohol funny car one summer, blow yer hat off walkin by ..easy :)

Andrew,

your link requires a login.

ergo... you suck at the interweb.

10/6/08 UPDATE

the stars are alinged.

the trucks are on schedule.

.. and i should have bought stock in FedEx for what im paying in shipping fees.

A new short block is set to arrive on Tuedsay. Lason at LPM has stepped up and ordered all the necessary "bits" to arrive tomorrow and Wed.

The only part im missing is an apporate cam shaft.

If I am luckey and all goes as planned

-the engine MIGHT be going in this week.

-the PCM COULD be tuned by this week.

-She MIGHT be ready for me earley next week.

-With LUCK we will not have any problems during the shake down drive.

and

-Roxxane MIGHT be going to Laughland.

.. im going to get an ulcer before this is done....

Your short block arrived today. :burnout:banannadance: