NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

The Future of ACE

Eddie44

Let me discuss cliques ...

it isn't something that I as an admin, or the other moderators have any control over. I cannot walk up to a group and force them to break up and go associate with other members or newbies. 

Also, yes each one of you as a newbie or outsider should take the bull by the balls and walk up to anyone to say hi...  We as old timers should never shun anyone for thier approach or desire to get involved. 

Newbie - Member - Moderator or Admin, we are all responsible for how ACE as a group acts. BUT, we are also under no rules or guidelines to act in a specified manner. 

Remember, if you see or hear something on ACE or at an ACE event that offends you or is against your view of life, then you have every right to click away or move over a chair to put yourself in a better place. But don't expect ACE to tell that person how to act or what to post. 

(Religious political or racial rules still apply)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Desertdawg

• Eddie44

• Bromley's Corvettes

• HOXXOH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have never felt the salute is aimed at us. I wear my ACE salutes you tee to all car events. I am a proud ACE member. Like many, time is a big problem but I always try to get to the coffee/bagel meet before I go to work. If we could all park in the same area I would be better able to get to know everyone. Just knowing that you are in the club and let me shake your hand would go a long way. I am a mechanic (40 years) and if could find time to help anyone (day off, morning/afternoon) I would be happy to help. When I joined I was told that this is what we do sometimes but I always seem to find out after the fact.  I could sure use the ACE business cards to hand out. I get some strange looks when I get out of my work vehicle and approach a vette owner.

49 minutes ago, HOXXOH said:

When I joined, I knew no one. It's only natural that cliques form as you meet and find those which have similar interests. Not everyone likes the same events. I tried to promote a drag racing event once and only got one taker, even though several people post about the times that Vettes are capable of.  It's just not everyone's choice of fun.  I have an event in the works for March 26th, so keep that date open for the moment. I'll confirm in a couple days.

Lol that's so normal. Every drag racer talks to people who say they're interested but never show. 

We are doing drag weekend starting March 31.  

I need to pull my Pontiac and put some drag tires on it. I'll be interested in your event. 

36 minutes ago, old yeller said:

Mo, you can hang out with me anytime. Just don't document how fast I drive.:3gears:

This happened to me one time ( no names mentioned)  A group of us on a cruise pull into the restaurant's large parking lot. As I am backing in to the spot next to the Vette I followed in, that driver got out and said I can't park there that it was saved for somebody else. I had to chuckle to myself and gladly moved.  Some people I don't think realize that when they are in this group of only the people they know, they themselves are forming a clique. 

When I get to Gila bend, the chair is coming out in the nearest shade and anybody that wants to can join me for some BBQ.

I won't document if you dont ??

I don't have a problem with cliques!!  Vette owners are cliques - we're rich, we're cool, haha whatever others want to pretend we are.  I think what some on here are saying is they don't like to be shunned. There's a big difference. 

So would everyone be interested in a dash towel to represent ACE at any meet you go to?

i always thought a small towel with the ACE logo and weighted edges to lay on your dash that won't blow away. Then you fold it up and tuck it in a bin until the next time. 

If there's enough interest, I'll contact Andrew and get some made asap. 

1 hour ago, old yeller said:

Mo, you can hang out with me anytime. Just don't document how fast I drive.:3gears:

This happened to me one time ( no names mentioned)  A group of us on a cruise pull into the restaurant's large parking lot. As I am backing in to the spot next to the Vette I followed in, that driver got out and said I can't park there that it was saved for somebody else. I had to chuckle to myself and gladly moved.  Some people I don't think realize that when they are in this group of only the people they know, they themselves are forming a clique. 

When I get to Gila bend, the chair is coming out in the nearest shade and anybody that wants to can join me for some BBQ.

Joe, I'm running solo this year so save me some shade and I'll be happy to keep you company.

I'll cough up a few for the towel. If you catch me at  this caffeine  I will toss a few to help pay to keep this site going. I know it is a thankless  job but I am saying thanks. Where do you go racing?

Greetings from the Gila Valley!!  I have owned or driven many a muscle car from a super sport to a turbo Avanti.  My first love was a 67/427 Vettes. Boy!  I could afford the payments but not the insurance.  My 84 Vette was a plain Jane, I drove all over.  Just firing up a Vette puts you in the mood to cruise. All others cars won't cut it.  My wife and I  joined Ace a couple of years ago, we have driven to several lunches in Phx, Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff. 8 hrs on the road at times. We hosted a lunch in Safford.  It was ok, wished more had shown up.  The special group that were hosts really were fired up to see the Vettes.  I know that Safford is some drive just to eat.  When I go in for lunch, they want to know when we are coming back for lunch.  I look at the forum when lunches are posted, only to see that some show up.  My problem is that as a newbie, I observed that everyone sat in certain groups.  No recognition was at least given to newbies!  We haven't attended any events in Tucson or Phx because of poor turnouts.  We have signed up for the GBBQ.  Hopefully the forum will  be great again where people will enjoy posting their stuff.  ??

For the donations to ACE I usually collect at the Gila Bend BBQ to pay for the food and the site for the year. 

If you don't make it to the BBQ and still want to donate you can add to the coffers at

paypal@arizonacorvetteenthusiasts.net

(copy and paste into PayPal)

all donations on go to pay for the site and server. 

Ill let y'all know about the towels.  

Guest racingchester

The first BBQ I attended was at the Eagles club. As I recall 18 cars showed uo because alot of people thought their cars would melt in the rain.  I don't think anyone asked my name or what I drove.  I do remember talking to Dawg a lot because he had the food.  Went to a a few events and had the Tortilla Flat thing going for a few years.  What I am getting at is that people have to be friendly to each other.  Neither my wife or myself are social butterflys so we find it like what are we doing here.  Granted over the years I have made alot of friends and even though I have not been active still consider these people friends. There have been occasions where we would stop and say something to someone and they would ignore you.  I realize that a person has to make that first move.  Hi i am Chuck whats your name...goes along ways. You have to make a person welcome.  As in any organization there are people you care not to associate with and I am sure this group has some of that.   End of rant!!!

Please don't discount what so many are saying here today. There is a commonality here. 

Yes, if we don't keep trying until you talk to us, it's our own fault. And we don't need to be in the club if we don't feel comfortable.  You can do whatever you want. We are only members. 

What stops me from showing up is I want to and plan to, then I remember how uncomfortable it is to be segregated and ignored when we get where we're going. 

Its a real thing. No one is asking you to take care of us, sit with us, entertain us, we just don't want to be ignored or made feel lesser than. 

We are ALL important. We deserve that. And if we're having fun, we will keep coming back. And get more involved. 

39 minutes ago, aenigma said:

. . .then I remember how uncomfortable it is to be segregated and ignored when we get where we're going. 

Its a real thing. No one is asking you to take care of us, sit with us, entertain us, we just don't want to be ignored or made feel lesser than. 

Mo, I honestly do not have any idea what you are talking about. No one is deliberately 'segregating' you, ignoring you or trying to make you feel  'lesser.'  I have talked to you and sat at the same table as you at events. You appear to be speaking with others, mingling and generally fitting in.  I am not being a wise ass here, I really don't get it. . .what is it you expect? 

14 minutes ago, Chameleon said:

Mo, I honestly do not have any idea what you are talking about. No one is deliberately 'segregating' you, ignoring you or trying to make you feel  'lesser.'  I have talked to you and sat at the same table as you at events. You appear to be speaking with others, mingling and generally fitting in.  I am not being a wise ass here, I really don't get it. . .what is it you expect? 

Nothing.  You're right. It's just me and some others here. All is fine. ?

Please do not ask what can change if you reject the answers given.  i didn't solicit this, we were asked. So I responded. If you want to argue my answer, it doesn't bother me and I will bow out of the challenge because I don't care one way or the other. 

I'm not here to argue about it. I merely stated how I feel and how I've felt and never voiced it because if I don't like it, I don't have to go. Which I've chosen not to.  

Mo, I think I understand. I don't make friends easily. I'm not socially outgoing. Once I get to know someone, I am comfortable with small talk and catching up, but in a room of strangers I am a wallflower. From the outside, it can appear as though I am social, but it's awkward inside. 

As a result, I tend to migrate to people I know and can talk to rather than go out of the way to get to know someone new. Especially when I only get to come to a few events due to family and work. 

15 minutes ago, aenigma said:

Nothing.  You're right. It's just me and some others here. All is fine. ?

Please do not ask what can change if you reject the answers given.  i didn't solicit this, we were asked. So I responded. If you want to argue my answer, it doesn't bother me and I will bow out of the challenge because I don't care one way or the other. 

I'm not here to argue about it. I merely stated how I feel and how I've felt and never voiced it because if I don't like it, I don't have to go. Which I've chosen not to.  

I am genuinely trying to understand what you want.  That isn't arguing. 

In return you give a snarky answer.  That is not positive nor productive, and does not serve to solve anything.

Azmotorhead
28 minutes ago, Ted Y said:

Mo, I think I understand. I don't make friends easily. I'm not socially outgoing. Once I get to know someone, I am comfortable with small talk and catching up, but in a room of strangers I am a wallflower. From the outside, it can appear as though I am social, but it's awkward inside. 

As a result, I tend to migrate to people I know and can talk to rather than go out of the way to get to know someone new. Especially when I only get to come to a few events due to family and work. 

Ted i think most people are as you describe. I'm kinda that way as well. But I do try to meet new people at ACE events .Doesnt bother me too much that people think I'm psycho

Okay, we've got a bunch of excellent input. Now we're going to change up the question.

What are you going to commit to do to improve ACE going forward?  This would include plan events, cruises etc.  it might be to force yourself to mingle at lunches and events. It might be something we haven't heard yet.  At minimum I want to hear from those of you that complained. If you've got a complaint you've no doubt thought of how it could be changed. As they say, speak now or forever hold your peace!  

Bromley's Corvettes

I would try to make new people feel welcome. Encourage them to share pix and details about there Corvette. Ask them what made them want a Corvette. How long have they wanted one. How did they find ACE. Help them post pix if they need help:) Try not to scare them off be four they have a chance to see this is a cool forum and lots of nice helpful people on hear:) Let them no its ok to ask questions:) 

I've got a suggestion along those lines Doug. I'd like to hear more input before I present my idea. Thanks!

8 hours ago, Desertdawg said:

You do realize the ACE salute isn't directed towards ACE members. Its origins were directed towards other official clubs and thier established rules. 

Nope. Never knew that. I'd guess that the prospective newbies don't know that either, but it's possible they were offended and didn't stick around long enough to bother asking.

1 hour ago, Eddie44 said:

Okay, we've got a bunch of excellent input. Now we're going to change up the question.

What are you going to commit to do to improve ACE going forward?  This would include plan events, cruises etc.  it might be to force yourself to mingle at lunches and events. It might be something we haven't heard yet.  At minimum I want to hear from those of you that complained. If you've got a complaint you've no doubt thought of how it could be changed. As they say, speak now or forever hold your peace!  

I mentioned back in post #  ... uh some number on page 2 that I'm already in the process of planning an event that ACE has never done before AFAIK. It might have been interpreted as racing, but I'll assure you it's not. I hope to confirm the details tomorrow and I'll post up the plan.

In April, I will have my 10 year anniversary on ACE.  With my post count not really matching that time, it's safe to say I have a busy family life that doesn't allow me to post a lot, or go to a lot of events.  Unfortunately when I do get to an event, I tend to spend most if not all of the time catching up with some peeps that I have become good friends with, but don't see but once every couple of months.  Even though they're like twice as old as me, so I'm not sure how that happened.  Anywho, I raise my hand, and pledge to try and mingle a lot, to try and make newer peeps feel more welcome.

Just spit balling here, but maybe a speed dating type happy hour might be a good way to meet more people.  Get an egg timer & rotate to a different person every 3 minutes.  Long enough for decent who are you, what do you drive, but short enough not to be awkward.

8 hours ago, aenigma said:

Lol that's so normal. Every drag racer talks to people who say they're interested but never show. 

We are doing drag weekend starting March 31.  

I need to pull my Pontiac and put some drag tires on it. I'll be interested in your event. 

The ACE event I'm planning isn't racing, but I will be going to the Friday night drags at WHP on March 18th. Weather permitting of course. 

I'll pit North of the port-a-potty on the East side wall, if you or anyone else wants to join in the fun.

1 hour ago, Bromley's Corvettes said:

I would try to make new people feel welcome. Encourage them to share pix and details about there Corvette.

Kudo's to Doug.  When I first started posting last fall, Doug wrote me a PM welcoming me and inviting me over to his shop to say hi.  That's a mighty nice welcome to get and I did stop in.

The finger salute..... When I first saw that I had to laugh and figured this bunch has fun and don't take themselves to seriously.