NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

The Future of ACE

Eddie44

Bromley's Corvettes

I like the idea of a tour of Restoration shop:) Everyone is always welcome at my shop:) We are open M-F 830 tell 6 and sat by appointment. We always have interesting Classic Corvette projects going on. Right now we have a 65,66.70,72,74,76,77,79,80,81,94 in the shop and a 66 and 67 and 82 on the way. I dont mind visitors just dont hang around to long I will put you to work lol:) 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Desertdawg

• Eddie44

• Bromley's Corvettes

• HOXXOH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I for one really appreciate all the input. Keep it coming!

Boy, I must have missed some threads/comments along the way. I don't recall any of the "negativity" that has been mentioned by several in this thread. What have I missed and how?

Well I think since we know a lot of the personalities involved, we merely view it as "teasing" or "being a smart ass with no real ill-intent".  I think others not as dialed into the personalities here might take certain comments as negative.  Valid points for sure

Bromley's Corvettes

Yes sir people that have been on ACE for years no its just messing around or at least most of the time. There are still a few that look for trouble. The problem with new people is they dont no that. They get scared off real easy. 

5 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Well I think since we know a lot of the personalities involved, we merely view it as "teasing" or "being a smart ass with no real ill-intent".  I think others not as dialed into the personalities here might take certain comments as negative.  Valid points for sure

I know that I am pretty thick skinned and don't offend easily (my time in the AF has made me that way). I like to joke around to help keep the atmosphere light hearted but I will never poke fun at a newbie on the forum. With that being said, I can take your bullets, so let'em fly.

I forgot two others I do......

1) Garage Party.  I invite two motorcycle clubs and starting last summer the NCRS club......my pal in the next neighborhood was the hit with his '63 split window....no one even noticed my '81 in the background.    Held during the week because it's easier for many to make it vs the conflicted schedules on the weekends.  I serve brats etc, afterwards they sleep on the hill until dark! 

2) I've also participated in club "buff 'n shine" seminars.  Show up at a members house that has a shade tree or garage and show how to "polish" a member(s) "challenged finish" Corvette.  Guys with the buffers bring them along with your favorite chemicals and try them out with each other.

IMG_5351.JPGIMG_4628.JPG

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:58 AM, Bromley's Corvettes said:

My sales girl Becky tried posting a few times and asked a simple question and got smart ass comments and she will never post again lol. Same for my web guy Jeff he said wow these guys are jerks lol. My dad is scared to post does not want to say wrong thing. We need to make ACE friendly and a happy place to share not pick on each other:) 

I remember this one. Had Becky posted as Becky and not as Bromely's. Folks would not have been surprised at her lack of knowledge...

17 hours ago, Bigfoot said:

Boy, I must have missed some threads/comments along the way. I don't recall any of the "negativity" that has been mentioned by several in this thread. What have I missed and how?

Look at the members that no longer post...  Someone mentioned 417 in a comment recently and it made me wonder what happened to him...

Eddie, thanks for starting this thread, it has elicited some informative responses.  Wow, Lurch called me a ‘nice lady.’ :P

The last couple of years I haven’t been as active as I would like.  Too much on my plate, and some stuff had to fall off.  I hope to change that soon. . .

Regarding negativity and ‘scaring away’ new/potential members, I agree with Bigfoot.  I have not seen the ‘negativity’ mentioned and would be interested in seeing examples.  As for scaring away folks, we have had this discussion before. This forum reflects the personality of its membership.  Before I joined, I lurked for a couple of months.  What I saw was a large, quirky, slightly dysfunctional family.  There was teasing and joking, occasional bickering or disagreements, but also a bonding and underlying core of genuine caring.  Just like a family.  I liked that, so I joined.  I have learned that ACE is a family, and we are who we are.  Over the years I have seen members come and go.  If someone is easily offended or doesn’t like the way we behave, then that person is simply not a good fit for this group. I don’t mean to sound harsh but, the fact is that no matter what we do or don’t do, it is impossible to make every new or potential member happy.  Someone would always find fault with something.  

Some of the ideas already posted here are for things we used to have.  Detail days, Corvette Saturdays (grouping to work on one member’s car) and the big events like the annual Father’s Day Cruise and the Laughlin Run (my personal favorite).

On what has changed and how do we fix it, my observation is that the biggest things affecting ACE are (1) lack of varied events and participation (2) lack of active recruitment of new members (3) lack of participation on the forum.

1)            What I see is that ACE has largely become a forum of ‘followers.’  We have a lot of members who will show up for events, and some who will post great ideas for events, but many of those posting ‘great ideas’ never actually organize an event.  I CHALLENGE EVERY MEMBER WHO HAS POSTED A GREAT IDEA OF WHAT ACE COULD DO FOR AN EVENT TO STEP UP AND DO IT!!!!  :toetap

2)            We have stickers.  We have business cards.  They’re free.  All you have to do is ask.  See the “ACE Merchandise” section on the forum.   I put an ACE card on every Corvette I see.  If the owner is around I talk to him/her.  This is an easy, fun method to make Corvette owners aware we are here, and get them to at least check us out.  However, I feel as though I am the only ACE member doing this.  I have packets of ACE cards with me at every event I attend, and I can’t give them away – our members don’t want them. 

3)            Fix 1 and 2 and 3 will take care of itself, because we’ll have something to talk about (events) and someone (new) to talk to. :thumbs

coconut girl

I have been a member since 2006. This is about the 3rd time I can remember having this conversation.

Here are the top 5 reason's I don't get off my okole (butt in Hawaiian) and be more active:

1.  I get too busy with day to day life to go online and post. I  go on line and check out the events and that is about it.

2.  I am too lazy to set up events but promise to work on that.

3.  Is it me or is it not possible to see everyone's name and info on the new website. You used to be able to see everyone's name, what part of the great state of AZ they live, their car info.I think that would help folks get to know each other a little easier.

4. There are some pretty snarky remarks and jokes that may be meant as funny (but are not) being posted. You better not be at work when viewing some of the photos I see on here. I know this site is mostly guy's but I think I posted some nude photos of men I would hear about. I think I will try it!

5.  When everyone does meet up in a big group it seems like there are certain clicks in the group and folks don't mingle and introduce themselves. Not friendly like when I first joined.

3 hours ago, coconut girl said:

I have been a member since 2006. This is about the 3rd time I can remember having this conversation.

Here are the top 5 reason's I don't get off my okole (butt in Hawaiian) and be more active:

1.  I get too busy with day to day life to go online and post. I  go on line and check out the events and that is about it.

2.  I am too lazy to set up events but promise to work on that.

3.  Is it me or is it not possible to see everyone's name and info on the new website. You used to be able to see everyone's name, what part of the great state of AZ they live, their car info.I think that would help folks get to know each other a little easier.

4. There are some pretty snarky remarks and jokes that may be meant as funny (but are not) being posted. You better not be at work when viewing some of the photos I see on here. I know this site is mostly guy's but I think I posted some nude photos of men I would hear about. I think I will try it!

5.  When everyone does meet up in a big group it seems like there are certain clicks in the group and folks don't mingle and introduce themselves. Not friendly like when I first joined.

Here I am ready to speak my mind and get walloped for it but it needs to be said since they're asking - and you just said what I was thinking. I'm going to add. 

The group wants us to be involved but strikes down suggestions. 

The group wants us to go to events as long as we can form your own clique since we can't seem to be in yours. 

I do love ACE. Im not all that outgoing - it's my personality and I was born with that damned affliction- but it's obvious during events who the outsiders and uncool kids are. 

Females make up some of the vette owners. Not a lot but we are there. We don't need to act like a man or be put down if we don't have a man's mind. It's ok to be a woman and like and own cool cars. 

Dont ask me for examples please. I don't have time or energy to search thousands of posts to prove this happens.  

I joined another vette club because of my above gripes. They are welcoming and loving and care about us a lot. It was like night and day. However, they do nothing much with vettes. They don't have the fun vette runs.  I love the vette runs so bowed out of that group.  I'm all about camaraderie but also want to actually drive my vette. And I love a lot of people here-Dawg is awesome, lots of people here are awesome. I miss them. But I'm tired of being an outsider and feeling misplaced during events. It's too uncomfortable. So why don't I plan events and get more involved?  Tried it and got shot down. 

As far as click existing, I'm about as much an old timer as anyone. At the last lunch I would estimate I knew maybe a third of the crowd. I can't tell you how many people said "hey, Eddie" and I had no idea what their name was. I may have known their face but I couldn't have given you a name if my life counted on it. 

As as for being shot down I'd love o get detail on that.  You don't need to quote. The post but PM me detail if you would. We need to deal with that crap.  

I would only add that if anyone feels like an outsider its there own fault. Step up intro yourself and participate in conversation.  Realize it may take multiple attempts but eventually you'll be ACE family.  Look around at events and you'll see six more people feeling the same way.  

Anyone considering ing planing an event is welcome to PM any of the Admin/Mod team and we'll be glad to direct or assist you.  

More excellent points Mo and Pam, thanks.  The clique thing has come up before to me directly regarding the Admin/Mod group; since I've been approached about it so I'd like to add to it is this:  When we have the lunches/functions, sometimes that's the only change we Admin/Mods have to actually talk face to face about a myriad of things ongoing with the forum and whatnot.  It's not that we're intentionally ignoring anyone, we just get engrossed in ACE discussions which are just too hard to carry out via email and PMs.  We have to own that, me especially, and we need to make more effort to go about and talk with everyone.  And please, like Eddie said, don't be afraid to approach and introduce yourselves, believe it or not we love getting to know the faces that go with the forum names.  I might look like a mean guy but I'm a pretty big softie.  I love to talk to fellow owners about their cars and things they like to do with them.

Eddie, this is a forum for you thick skinned moderators.  Get some skin!  you want to know why - not only I have mentioned the cliques, our own commish says this isn't the first time it's been mentioned, and several others have said it already on this forum, and you respond with it's our own fault. 

No one wants to keep attempting until you actually talk to us. y'all aren't all that cool that we yearn to be accepted.  Ok maybe some of you are that cool ?.   A lot of us are simply vette owners who want to get out and not worry about the bullshit of our jobs or whatever we're dealing with all week. We don't want to worry about being accepted. We just want to have fun and meet people and talk about cars and how fast we just went, and what cop we dodged or our latest mod or advice. 

We don't want to spend our times attempting to clique until we're finally in! We are all equal. If you run this thing, you're way cool. You deserve lots of credit. Running clubs is hard work - been there done that - it's thankless at times. I've been a volunteer with thankless groups my whole life. But if you want help and involvement from the misfits, then shutting them out doesn't help. 

6 hours ago, Big Tom said:

Look at the members that no longer post...  Someone mentioned 417 in a comment recently and it made me wonder what happened to him...

He no longer owns a vette. He's is a "big time" DJ now and does gigs around the valley and even for the NFL during the Super Bowls the last two years. Plus now he has kids and doesn't have time for much else. I know since I see his occasional FB posts.

When I joined, I knew no one. It's only natural that cliques form as you meet and find those which have similar interests. Not everyone likes the same events. I tried to promote a drag racing event once and only got one taker, even though several people post about the times that Vettes are capable of.  It's just not everyone's choice of fun.  I have an event in the works for March 26th, so keep that date open for the moment. I'll confirm in a couple days.

BTW, Having 2 moderators flipping the ACE salute as their avatar, doesn't exactly exude friendliness to newbies.

You do realize the ACE salute isn't directed towards ACE members. Its origins were directed towards other official clubs and thier established rules. 

1 hour ago, aenigma said:

Eddie, this is a forum for you thick skinned moderators.  Get some skin!  you want to know why - not only I have mentioned the cliques, our own commish says this isn't the first time it's been mentioned, and several others have said it already on this forum, and you respond with it's our own fault. 

No one wants to keep attempting until you actually talk to us. y'all aren't all that cool that we yearn to be accepted.  Ok maybe some of you are that cool ?.   A lot of us are simply vette owners who want to get out and not worry about the bullshit of our jobs or whatever we're dealing with all week. We don't want to worry about being accepted. We just want to have fun and meet people and talk about cars and how fast we just went, and what cop we dodged or our latest mod or advice. 

We don't want to spend our times attempting to clique until we're finally in! We are all equal. If you run this thing, you're way cool. You deserve lots of credit. Running clubs is hard work - been there done that - it's thankless at times. I've been a volunteer with thankless groups my whole life. But if you want help and involvement from the misfits, then shutting them out doesn't help. 

Mo, you can hang out with me anytime. Just don't document how fast I drive.:3gears:

This happened to me one time ( no names mentioned)  A group of us on a cruise pull into the restaurant's large parking lot. As I am backing in to the spot next to the Vette I followed in, that driver got out and said I can't park there that it was saved for somebody else. I had to chuckle to myself and gladly moved.  Some people I don't think realize that when they are in this group of only the people they know, they themselves are forming a clique. 

When I get to Gila bend, the chair is coming out in the nearest shade and anybody that wants to can join me for some BBQ.