6L80 transmission woe's

Desertdawg

A slight hi-jack here, but who does reliable work on 700r4's?

Give Sean at Top Gear a call. He's a 4L60/65 master and the 700r4 is just the old school version of that.

I agree with Jon on this.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Desertdawg

• RRbob

• HOXXOH

• MOTV8

Well teh tranny is kaput ! Due to the price of a built replacement, I just ordered a new factory sealed unit thru Ed our good buddy at Coulter on Camelback. We're talking over 2 grand difference in price between built and stock, and thanks to Ed's price theres no way I could afford to go built with this unexpected repair... Ed's thread !!!! Now we're just trying to find out if it comes with a torque converter or not?

Sounds like a great deal to me, Dwayne

Cudo’s to Ed for hooking you up!

Did you ever find out what killed it?

My curiosity would have that thing laid out all over my garage LOL!

Sean at Top Gear said the 6L80's are known to loose the 3/4 snap ring or something like that,

I guess it works loose or gets loose over time and kaa-blu-wee...

or in my case, screech!

Or in ACE terms, Der machinwerks sprung der wonderspring and went der flabberbrokkenn !

Just found out that the one I just ordered comes with a converter too. Thanks!

And yes Dean, it's another stock one, my failure is not common. Ask Tom how many passes and miles he has on his!

Sean at Top Gear said the 6L80's are known to loose the 3/4 snap ring or something like that,

So according to Sean....how common is the issue?

It's your car, man.

/bookmarked

He didn't say, but over the 5 years or so that GM has been installing 6L80's he's only worked on a handful...

...compared to the thousands of C5 trannies :lol

For Tom's Hijack ....... I had mine done by Gary at AZ Precision Trans Center in Mesa .... He's been do our specific 700R4s for ever and does a great job ... he did a stage 2 on mine .... and then added a heavier spring for shifting after the fact ..... and is quite reasonable .... However ... if you're looking for Performance ... I'd have to point to Sean ......

Dawg .... I totally get the cost savings (thx Ed .... you're the man) .... it does cost extra dollars for extra power producing products of a built trans .......... Hope to see ya back on the road soon .........

I guess it works loose or gets loose over time and kaa-blu-wee...

or in my case, screech!

soooo that was the cause of the failure?

was that 3/4 snap ring the root of your failure?

I was always curious if the improved shifting tunes could cause similar fates.

..and the aggressive paddle shifting

.... and the prolonged 140mph runs

imjustsaying

If I had to take a guess on causes, I'd think the 3/4 shift under WOT would be the weak link. Especially with a tight (aka stock) converter and a tranny tune that raised the pressure.

Sean at Top Gear said the 6L80's are known to loose the 3/4 snap ring or something like that, I guess it works loose or gets loose over time and kaa-blu-wee... or in my case, screech!

soooo that was the cause of the failure? was that 3/4 snap ring the root of your failure?
I can see it now... This 3/4 snap ring costs $4000.00 (too soon?)

Sean at Top Gear said the 6L80's are known to loose the 3/4 snap ring or something like that, I guess it works loose or gets loose over time and kaa-blu-wee... or in my case, screech!

soooo that was the cause of the failure? was that 3/4 snap ring the root of your failure?

I can see it now... This 3/4 snap ring costs $4000.00 (too soon?)

Yeah!! Sometimes its the smallest things in life or machine that matter the most.

I probably won't ever know what the root cause was, the tranny is out and ready to be handed over to Coulter for the core charge.

Yes I have a NicD tune including the tranny.

Yes I probably have more WOT 3/4 shifts than anyone here, almost ever trip to Phoenix see's a buck fifty at WOT, I have a passenger that will bitch abou... I mean verify this!

In my VIN history I have this line...

11/03/2008 149538 # J1000 - PAN AND/OR GASKET - REPLACE 13750 miles

The owners manual says service the tranny at 100,000 for normal use, 50,000 severe duty.

There was a TSP for shifting problems that mentions some 3/4 parts and had the dealer pull the tranny apart to fix it, ack!

In searching the web I don't see much out there for 6L80 failures.

The guys at LPM said when they dropped the valve body there was fiber material and some fine metal on top, looking at the clutch pack there was empty spaces between the disks, there shouldn't be empty spaces there.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone for this, it probably all contributed to the failure. Like I said in the first post there was hints of this coming, missed WOT shifts and delayed engagement from a stop....

Am I happy about this? No, I wish it would have hekd up like Tom's. Am I upgrading? No, I just spent my milk momey on other mods and now I have a couple of home projects to do first.

Wish me luck that the replacement tranny lasts at least as long as this one, I already have Jammye bitching abou... I mean asking me to baby it,

Yeah, I'm going to baby it right out of LPM's gate, turn right on Cedar st. and romp the shit out of it !!!!!

Sucks it happened,but glad its getting fixed up.

I was just satisfying my own curiousity since I haven’t heard of too many failures either.

Sucks it happened,but glad its getting fixed up.

I was just satisfying my own curiousity since I haven’t heard of too many failures either.

same here bud. im happy you are getting back on the road soon.

Too Soon....

Posted Image

Have Nic back off the trans settings a bit and when at WOT ease up for the 3/4 shift. A 3200 stall would be more fun and soften the blow on the trans at the same time. Make sure the cooler lines are flushed real good, so the crap doesn't go right back into the new trans. Insist on the GM fluid, especially to retain the new trans warranty.

It's a shame that it happened, but lesser stuff has broken and caused bigger problems.

A 3200 stall would be more fun and soften the blow on the trans at the same time.

Keep posting this tease and make me feel bad that the GM unit comes with a converter and a warranty.... and I'm already broke!

A 3200 stall would be more fun and soften the blow on the trans at the same time.

Keep posting this tease and make me feel bad that the GM unit comes with a converter and a warranty.... and I'm already broke!

if there is a HINT of a tune, you can kiss that warranty good bye.

get a cooler AND stall... you know you want it.

if there is a HINT of a tune, you can kiss that warranty good bye. get a cooler AND stall... you know you want it.
Do it or yer a wuss.

if there is a HINT of a tune, you can kiss that warranty good bye. get a cooler AND stall... you know you want it.
Do it or yer a wuss.

You could have bought my 3600 when I offered it last summer, but you still have time to get a 3200 Yank and have zero install cost. You do know that you could sell that stock converter to recover most of the Yank cost. Just ask Ed how much he'll knock off the bill.

If you pass up this opportunity, you'll be kicking yourself later.