6L80 transmission woe's

Desertdawg

I drove the vette to Phoenix on Tuesday and back, as I arrived in town as I slowed to 15mph for the school zone, lifted off the brake and touched the throttle to maintain 15 it acted like the brakes were stopping the car, I pressed the gas and by the time I hit half pedal the rears screeched me to a stop (with a semi right behind me) ack!

Tranny temps were fine, 190's when I came to a stand still, I've always watched tranny temps on the DIC

I tapped the brakes a couple times then gassed it and moved 3 feet, it just felt like the brakes were locking up but just the rears were screeching without my foot on the brake pedal, well I got it to move twice more then it froze solid, full throttle just bogged the motor down. to get out of the street I popped it into neutral and as I did it would lurch forward a foot, so I did D-N-D-N 3 or 4 times to get enough momentum to roll out of the street.

In the parking lot, reverse just bogged down with no movement either, neutral or park let the motor spin free but the car would creep like you were sliding the clutch on a manual and move a couple of inches.

Funny, I could paddel shift to 3rd and move 3 or 4 feet then screech to a halt again, puter won't allow 4th sitting still.

I also disabled the nannies (traction, active handling) and it still just bogs...

After screwing around like this for 15 minutes the tranny temps had gone to 230,....

Shut the motor off and you can feel the pressure bleed off the converter, then you can roll the car by hand.

There goes my hooker's and blow money,

LPM has to see if something got whacked but really I think the thing has been hinting at failure for awhile now.

Stuff like a missed shift at WOT, or leaving a stop light and revving to 1500 to 2000 before engauging first...

fastforward to today...

The pan was dropped, fluid was real dark but no burnt smell and no chunky stuff

The valve body was dropped and we have chunks ...CRAP!

So I'm either going to see about a rebuild or just buy a new sealed one from GM, a used one might be nice but neither me nor Steve has had haven't had time to hunt for anything yet...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Desertdawg

• RRbob

• HOXXOH

• MOTV8

Here’s a hint!!

Go to Yank torque converter website..

Look under transmissions.

Or call Sean at Top Gear..

Or Century transmissions in Richmond Texas..

Oh! You have a 6l80e..

Oh! You have a 6l80e..

I was just going to ask if I titled this right :lol Thanks for the hint... nice prices!

Oh! You have a 6l80e..

... nice prices!

your number change from a 4 series to a 6 series just doubled the price.... can I take back my "nice prices" comment :eek

Oh!

When you get it changed or fixed, with all this heat out here.

Whether you change your torque converter or not ..

It would be a good idea to get an external transmission cooler also..

Yeah!!!

They are NOT cheap.

If used is a possibility ..... maybe http://www.vettenuts.net/ could be an option ..... have gotten some really nice stuff from these guys for the GTM project ..... I just shot them an email to see what they mite have .....

Thanks Hal :thumbs

Bob, I thought it was a tranny cooler in 08 but I could be wrong.

Joe, why circle D over Yank???

Thanks Hal :thumbs Bob, I thought it was a tranny cooler in 08 but I could be wrong. Joe, why circle D over Yank???

Everyone running legit fast times run a circle D. Yanks are good don't get me wrong but I firmly stand behind circle D being the best. We have multiple cars running them locally we built and they are running faster tines than others with similar builds. A converter makes or breaks the combo so this is very important to us when specing a build. And they have yet to let us down.

Sean is currently fixing a Century built 6L80E. Century is expensive as heck and they basically only put a valve body in the trans. My vote goes to just having Sean rebuild your trans. Another vote for Circle D or FTI. Either one will perform at the track.

Sean is currently fixing a Century built 6L80E. Century is expensive as heck and they basically only put a valve body in the trans. My vote goes to just having Sean rebuild your trans. Another vote for Circle D or FTI. Either one will perform at the track.

If that is indeed the case.. That all they did was basically put a valve body in the transmission. Id venture to say someone has an opportunity for a law suit Especially, if he still has all his paperwork..

See what happens when you beat your car. OK, J/K'in. That's sux Dwayne, hope you get it fixed soon.

I know Century Transmission treated me like a king!. I took my car in at 7:00 a.m. They had taken the transmission out replaced just about everything in it except the billet shaft which is welded for extreme builds. Installed a new torque converter installed a transmission cooler, changed the oil in the car and tuned the transmission, Test drove it with me in the car and had it done by 4:00 pm THE SAME DAY.. Was it kind of expensive? I got what I wanted! Sure it was. You have to pay if you want to play.

Well teh tranny is kaput !

Due to the price of a built replacement, I just ordered a new factory sealed unit thru Ed our good buddy at Coulter on Camelback.

We're talking over 2 grand difference in price between built and stock, and thanks to Ed's price theres no way I could afford to go built with this unexpected repair...

Ed's thread !!!!

Now we're just trying to find out if it comes with a torque converter or not?

A slight hi-jack here, but who does reliable work on 700r4's?

Give Sean at Top Gear a call. He's a 4L60/65 master and the 700r4 is just the old school version of that.

I would just get a new converter Dawg. Or flush the old one really, really, really, really good. Circle D and FTI get my vote for aftermarket converters. A 3200-3600 would really wake that car up.