Teh Tudor United Sports Car Championship 2014 Thread from Hell

Shifty

It about made me sick when Jamie Howe interviewed Pope Rahal....what a snivelly little bitch...

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shifty

• MOTV8

• Desertdawg

• LastC3

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel....

BTW, Happy Birfday to Tommeh Milner! :party:

And Memo Gidley had surgery to stabilize his fractured back, while Matteo Maluchelli was released from the hospital.

Oh, and they put Corvette on teh poster for Sebring...

Posted Image

Why is tehre no Corvette GTP cars ????

I still have 2 + hours of DVR to watch, but teh clusterfuckage is phenomanel :eek

:lol Exactly. That, and the last time a Corvette GTP turned a wheel in anger was 1989.

Uh, Corvette Racing uses Facebook to host pictures, don't blame me, and they stuck up some action shots and driver mug shots....if that's your thing: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.626907280691073.1073741835.184738158241323&type=3&uploaded=23

Well, now we've got to wait a while for anything new...Sebring isn't until the middle of March...

go post something from last weekend, I need you guys to test it, or break it for me.

And if you do get the forbidden error, please email me the pasted content so I can fix it now before the next round of whining begins... :lol

IMSA, sanctioning body for the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, is currently conducting a post-event crash investigation with the Corvette DP driven by Memo Gidley and the Ferrari F458 piloted by Matteo Malucelli.

According to Scot Elkins, IMSA's vice president of competition and technical regulations, both cars were impounded by IMSA after the crash that took place on Saturday during the Rolex 24 at Daytona, and have been transported to North Carolina for inspection at NASCAR's R&D facility.

“We took possession of the cars and brought them to the Research & Development facility in Concord to have our NASCAR safety guys look at everything, do some measurements, photograph everything, record what happened, and then we'll utilize that data to look at what changes we can or can't make going forward,” Elkins told RACER. “That's why we took both cars.”

Information from the cars' data loggers will also be used in the investigation, helping IMSA to quantify the speeds and g-forces that went into and through both vehicles and their drivers.

“It's all a bit of a new process for me because I'm just starting to work with the guys at the R&D center, so we're not so much trying to do a full accident recreation, but we are trying to see if everything did what it was designed to do and part of that is looking through the data to get an understanding of what was experienced,” Elkins added.

“This is my first time going through this [with the NASCAR-owned IMSA organization] process, so we're working through the best ways to do things and trying to learn from everything. We got the cars to the center on Monday and started the process [on Tuesday]. We should have some results very soon.”

Posted ImageOne of the most pressing questions surrounding the devastating crash and damage that took place with Gidley's No. 99 GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing Corvette DP centers on crash testing data for the tubeframe chassis.

Under Grand-Am sanctioning, DP cars underwent structural changes to their roll cages for 2012, creating narrower cockpits by moving the overhead cage bars to new mounting locations.

Changes to the front of the “Gen3” DPs were also carried out, with new noses, radiators and ducting installed to fit Corvette-branded bodywork, along with Ford- and generic-themed bodies from Riley. It's unclear whether the Gen3 chassis or the significantly altered Gen3 components ahead of the front bulkhead have undergone a new round of crash testing.

“DPs have been in existence for quite some time and I know the roll cage construction is based on the NASCAR [roll cage] model,” Elkins explained. “I know while I've been here in the last year, we haven't done any crash testing on those cars. The majority of the cars are all relatively new because of the Gen3 modifications they had to do. The Ferrari was a GTE car and has an ACO-spec roll cage in it.”

Chassis builder Bill Riley (LEFT), whose Corvette-bodied DP product was destroyed in the crash, added further insight to the crash testing requirements.

“Crash testing isn't required, but the chassis specs, the roll cage and the radiator placement are,” said Riley. “The bulkhead placement and the dimension of the roll cage are spec, and that's what determines how strong the cars are.”

Compared to the ACO-based P2 cars competing in the TUDOR Championship's Prototype class (BELOW), DP's lack a dedicated front crash structure mounted to the bulkhead. DP's have relied on the carbon fiber nose, splitter and associated cooling components to serve as a deformable structure in a head-on impact.

Part of what Elkins hopes to gain from the crash investigation is whether the Corvette DP's front componentry did its job sufficiently, or whether the addition of a crash box would make for a worthy addition. Based on the findings, look for the results to also be applied to IMSA's new prototype specifications that are due in 2017.

“Your curiosity is the same as ours,” Elkins noted. “That's why we sent the cars to the R&D facility. If adding a crash structure would be beneficial to the DPs, that's exactly what we're hoping to learn. That's the whole purpose. We also want to learn these things to build data for the specs of the 2017 car.”

Posted Image

Asked if it would be possible to reconfigure DPs to P2-style side-mount radiators in order to make space for a front crash structure during the 2014 season, Riley says it would be a tall order. He also questions whether it would be necessary.

“It would be too big of a task,” he remarked. “In general, the radiators got moved to the side [of P2 cars] to pass the FIA crash tests based on the way it's worded. If you remember, the Group C and GTP cars all ran with front radiators, so it's not a new idea. It would be too much of a rework to do that in DP right now, and from a DP rules standpoint, I don't know how much would be gained. If you were in a DP or a P2 car, which one would you have rather been in during that accident?”

Whatever comes from the investigation, GM racing director Mark Kent tells RACER the manufacturer's safety experts will be made available to IMSA if a decision is made to bolster the safety provisions required on the DP chassis.

“Safety has always been our number one priority, and if we're called upon to work with IMSA, we'll gladly do so,” said Kent. “It was really unfortunate with what happened to Memo and for the entire Stallings organization that we think so highly of.

“We did the same working with the NHRA in the Pro Stock class to improve safety there, for example, and we'd be glad to help IMSA if asked to do so.”

Seems to be much better....I even went to the dreaded Racer.com for that, and even grabbed those evil pictures....

Fine work Dwayne, go ahead and take a thousand dollars out of petty cash, and get some breakfast...

THX to Dawg, the title of this thread may need to be changed....no longer the thread from hell...LOL!!!

Nice work, but I only approve $250.

What kind of breakfast are you going to get for $250? Probably won't even get a foot rub while you're chowing...

Nice.

Did they ever clear up who actually won GTD? There was a winner, then disqualified, then reinstated. I heard the Lizards want someone to explain how they got hosed or something.

Flying Lizard Motorsports has won just about all there is to win in sports car racing. Multiple ALMS drivers' and team's titles championships with Porsche and victories at almost every circuit they've raced fill the team's resume. But a trophy case loaded with more than a decade of success isn't enough to dull the sting from having their first win at the Rolex 24 at Daytona overturned.

Posted ImageThe controversial last-lap battle between FLM's Markus Winkelhock and Level 5 Motorsport's Alessandro Pier Guidi resulted in a penalty that initially awarded GTD class honors to the Sonoma, Calif.-based team, but after a long period of deliberation by IMSA's review board, the penalty was rescinded, elevating Level 5 to first place (LEFT).

By the time IMSA got its affairs in order, FOX Sports 1 interviewed the winning team, FLM's No. 45 Audi R8 had been pushed into Victory Lane for celebratory photos, drivers Winkelhock, Spencer Pumpelly, Nelson Canache Jr. and Tim Pappas had visited the media center for a Q&A session, and all seemed to be right in their world.

As FLM team manager Eric Ingraham tells RACER, even for a team with so many major wins to its credit, going from the heights of winning the biggest sports car racing in America to handing the trophy back hours later is hard to reconcile.

“Spraying champagne never gets old, is what I'd say, and you don't want it to be for nothing,” he said. “It's a huge race, and only winning that race lives up to your expectations. Winning Sebring, winning Le Mans – they're all big races, and Daytona is the same. From a personal, emotional involvement, there's no way to not let it feel like a loss. You understand the rules – IMSA's supervisory board and how that works – but we could use a little better understanding of when it works and where it works.

“It's been unfortunate for our crew, our drivers and the series, too. Under what circumstances might we be thinking about this in the future? Where can we learn from this to do our best to make sure it doesn't happen again? Those are the kinds of things I'd like to see addressed.”

Ingraham, like many others who watched the latter stages of the race, hopes the frenetic pace and hard driving between his drivers and those in Level 5's Ferrari F458 won't be forgotten amid the penalty debate.

“That to me is, unfortunately, what was lost in a lot of this,” he added. “There was some amazing driving going on in the final hours between our guys, Level 5's guys, and they ran such a fast, such a clean race, so that's the thing I hope people don't forget. I wish we'd been able to settle it on track. With the penalty being called and then rescinded, unfortunately, it's a distraction to how hard the racing was.”

Winkelhock and Pier Guidi made contact at the Bus Stop a few laps before their side-by-side dance through the Kink, leaving the silver and red R8 with damage that affected the Audi's handling. In hindsight, Ingraham is amazed the German was able to keep going, much less fight for the win.

“The reality was it was several hours of pushing as hard as we could, and what Markus did with a hurt car in the last three laps was unbelievable,” he noted. “How he reeled in the Ferrari is beyond explanation. The right-rear suspension was bent, the wheel was broken; it had about four inches of flange broken off, so the fact the tire stayed on is an unbelievable thing. I've been on the timing stand to watch many incredible race finishes, and this was right up there for excitement.”

The best salve for FLM's disappointment at Daytona would be to go out and win the 12 Hours of Sebring in March, but Ingraham says the negative outcome at the Rolex 24 won't necessarily add any fuel to their competitive fire.

“That's fair to say, but our troops don't suffer from motivation,” he explained. “As a racer, you know how it is. If you're not in it to win, you're in it for the wrong reason. The best thing we could do – and there's no bad taste in our mouths; we're rational people – is to go out and win Sebring. The reality is, no matter what, championship-wise, it doesn't really matter because it's just a three-point swing for finishing second.

“The bigger thing is how many times do you get a shot like that to win Daytona? Andy Lally has a wrist full of Rolex watches, and I wanted Markus to get one, Nelson to get a second one… You just hate falling short on a big win like that when you're so close. But that won't make us do anything different at Sebring.”

Posted ImageRIGHT: The Level 5 team shows off "Sharpie Rolexes." (photo courtesy of Townsend Bell)

Ingraham closed the conversation with a nice note about how their rivals at Level 5 handled the awkward situation after the penalty was overturned.
“I will say Level 5 was really gracious after it all shook out,” he said. “They came down and we had a good talk with them. We're all square, for sure.”

Why is tehre no Corvette GTP cars ????

because no one brought jumper cables, the dumbassess

werD or idiot backwards lol