• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nort99

• 1EvilC5

• MOTV8

• anmracing

Took my baby over to Steve's, we jacked her up and could not really see where my diff blew out the fluid. After removing to plug the diff was sure low. So we added about 14 oz of fluid before it started to run out the opening. Sealed her back up and sprayed some cleaner on her bottom, which removed all of the oil that has been there. Made her look brand new. Drove her home which was 32 miles of freeway and and in town, and so far not one drop has leaked out. I am guessing that the fluid got way to hot doing my racing thing and got to boiling and built up some pressure and blew it pass the axle seal, or around the plug which by the way was not very tight at all. maybe...

Some have said that there is a vent on top if so maybe that is where it came out of? Does anybody really know for sure if there is a vent on the diff on a C-5??? I could not see on the very top of it, and had no mirror to use. I have changed a bunch of 9 inch rear ends on fords and not vents... I really don't know about the vette?

Any how I am going to watch her for a while and see if it is still leaking.

Steve once again thanks for all your help. And what sweet car you have. Just looking a your awards and pictures made it worth while. This man has some serious track time.

ahem-if we'd known there was a corvette sunday planned, we'd have been there! :toetap

j/k-we'll same the damage for the slot car races. :leaving

M~

Guest UVETTYA

That's cool Mike. Glad nothing was obviously wrong. Sounds like it was running hot because it was low on fluid. If you're not leaking now when it 's full then you're probably good to go. :thumbs

Guest Steve Mulvey
ahem-if we'd known there was a corvette sunday planned, we'd have been there! :toetap

M~

This was kind of spur of the moment, I would have had everyone come by, but we were all done in less than an hour.. :yesnod

I introduced Mike to the miracle of Brakleen for removining grease and oil from suspension parts. It really works well, in fact that '98 looks brand new underneath.. :thumbs

Oh yes, and speaking of track time, these guys have an event just before Thanksgiving we all may want to check out:

http://www.clubracingaz.com/

Took my baby over to Steve's, we jacked her up and could not really see where my diff blew out the fluid. After removing to plug the diff was sure low. So we added about 14 oz of fluid before it started to run out the opening. Sealed her back up and sprayed some cleaner on her bottom, which removed all of the oil that has been there. Made her look brand new. Drove her home which was 32 miles of freeway and and in town, and so far not one drop has leaked out. I am guessing that the fluid got way to hot doing my racing thing and got to boiling and built up some pressure and blew it pass the axle seal, or around the plug which by the way was not very tight at all. maybe...

Some have said that there is a vent on top if so maybe that is where it came out of? Does anybody really know for sure if there is a vent on the diff on a C-5??? I could not see on the very top of it, and had no mirror to use. I have changed a bunch of 9 inch rear ends on fords and not vents... I really don't know about the vette?

Any how I am going to watch her for a while and see if it is still leaking.

Steve once again thanks for all your help. And what sweet car you have. Just looking a your awards and pictures made it worth while. This man has some serious track time.

Can anybody answer the question about the vent on the top of the diff?

Thanks

I've found gear oil under my '98's rear three different times....twice it turned out to be leaking seals, its a common thing, although costly, and I believe there was even a 'service bulletin' issued, search on CF for that. The other time, it WAS just some oil that had been vented, there IS a vent on there somewhere. If its not continuously dropping gear oil you should be fine...just my two cents! :thumbs

M~

This was kind of spur of the moment, I would have had everyone come by, but we were all done in less than an hour.. :yesnod

That's cool-I had thought about Mike being a racer from the old days and thought you two would hit it off really well. :thumbs

I'm glad you guys were able to sort out the leak. Mike's car is so nice, I'd hate it to get all dirty! :D

M~

Hey, I'm no mechanic, I just play one on t.v., but I think I found the service bulletins here:

Left Seal Bulletin

&

Right Seal Bulletin

I notice on step #8 of the Right Seal Bulletin it refers to some trans vent tube retainer...but I have no idea if thats what we are talking about....and the service manager at Power Chevy on Bell advised me on my third trip in about it that the diff had just "vented" some oil on my garage floor. :huh It has not dropped anything since. :toetap

Guest UVETTYA
Steve yes you can add to your website.

Thanks again Phil, I loaded your movie and my clips into an editor and made one long movie. I hope you don't mind. :toetap Mixing my in-car vids with your vids taken from the stands makes for a better experience, me thinks.

It's 29 minutes long, which is too big to upload to Phanfare, so I had to chop it into 10 minute episodes. You can watch them individually or if you run the slide show it will stream them together. I watched this on my big screen and it launches my rocket for sure. :lol Woo Hoo!

I hope I'm not sounding like a braggart, this was only my first time on a road course and I'm extremely excited about it is all. I've never had so much fun with my clothes on. :D What a rush!! I was the first one out on the last session and I think I lapped the entire field. And again, I'm sorry if I sound like I'm bragging. I'm not a race car driver by any stretch of the imagination - I just have a lot of car and perhaps not so many brains? :smilelol

You experts and instructors, I'm open for criticism as I want to do this again wtih the intention of getting better...

http://snirk.phanfare.com/album/134144

Yes there is a vent. Mine used to purge after a 20 minute track event. I won't even tell you how hot the rear diff will get. You wouldn't believe it. :D No, think higher than 300*.

I have actually data logged the rear diff temps.

M~

That's cool-I had thought about Mike being a racer from the old days and thought you two would hit it off really well. :thumbs

I'm glad you guys were able to sort out the leak. Mike's car is so nice, I'd hate it to get all dirty! :D

M~

Why Thanks you! :D

Yes there is a vent. Mine used to purge after a 20 minute track event. I won't even tell you how hot the rear diff will get. You wouldn't believe it. :D No, think higher than 300*.

I have actually data logged the rear diff temps.

Thanks to all for your info. I am starting to feel better about it now. Not good that it get that hot, but glad that I know what happened now. Thanks for links to service bulletins and the pictures of the diff.

Mine also would only last between 15 and 20 minutes before it would purge it out. Guess I will have to pack it with dry ice or stay out of second gear. LOL

Steve yes you can add to your website.

Thanks again Phil, I loaded your movie and my clips into an editor and made one long movie. I hope you don't mind. :toetap Mixing my in-car vids with your vids taken from the stands makes for a better experience, me thinks.

It's 29 minutes long, which is too big to upload to Phanfare, so I had to chop it into 10 minute episodes. You can watch them individually or if you run the slide show it will stream them together. I watched this on my big screen and it launches my rocket for sure. :lol Woo Hoo!

I hope I'm not sounding like a braggart, this was only my first time on a road course and I'm extremely excited about it is all. I've never had so much fun with my clothes on. :D What a rush!! I was the first one out on the last session and I think I lapped the entire field. And again, I'm sorry if I sound like I'm bragging. I'm not a race car driver by any stretch of the imagination - I just have a lot of car and perhaps not so many brains? :smilelol

You experts and instructors, I'm open for criticism as I want to do this again wtih the intention of getting better...

http://snirk.phanfare.com/album/134144

Great job splicing them together. :thumbs