So the Dealer sold me LS7 Rockers instead of LS3's.... Boom

Cross

Yeah, it is just a toughie. I will bow out, but to me, this is a valve control issue now that I know more of the specs of the engine. As far as who knew what, that is really not for me to determine, I may know about power production, but I would never claim to be Perry Mason.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cross

• Two Fangs

• joe@cpr.com

• Unreal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, it is just a toughie. I will bow out, but to me, this is a valve control issue now that I know more of the specs of the engine. As far as who knew what, that is really not for me to determine, I may know about power production, but I would never claim to be Perry Mason.

Then why do people call you Ironsides?

Actually, the only thing that would blow a hole in my theory is if this thing was using stock LS3 valves, but I would put a nickle on the barrel head saying that is not the case based on what I have seen in the photos.

Thank you either way I know you have better things to do and I appreciate you taking the time to teach me a thing or two. Every so often I make a half way decent student... the rest of the time I am just a clown :LolLol:

• 2 weeks later...
Alright we had an outside shop take a look at the motor to determine the reason for failure. We sent Texas Speed/PRC the damaged head while the other head was left on the motor as it was installed. (We had only removed the valve cover on that head) The call we got today confirmed that Push Rod length was correct which we already knew on our end but did the due diligence to confirm from an outside source to be fair. They told us that the issue was the intake retainer hits the rocker no matter what the push rod length, its a clearance issue.
Since factory LS3 Rockers and Factory Pedestals were used we have determined this is not an install issue. (Both were bought brand new from the dealer for this install not reused) None of the exhaust retainer's had an issue only the intake side on both heads had this issue. We did not install the springs these were a loaded set when purchased.
Texas Speed/Dominic has been very prompt in getting in touch with us, they will be speaking with the shop soon. Dominic did confirm that the cam lift was not big enough to be the issue with me over the phone. I want to thank them for that and I hope we get this corrected soon.

Why did the installer not see the intake retainer hitting the rocker when put on the engine? It sounds like an install issue, not a head issue...

Alright finally some better news, the Short Block is actually just fine. The Piston could possibly be saved but I told them to just replace it I do not want to take any chances. But there are no bent rods nothing else to worry about.

Hopefully at the latest I should have it back ready to go next week.

On the Hitting it is currently thought that somehow I was given LS7 Rockers when I ordered them at GM. They gave me the LS3 Pedestals (my understanding is LS7 heads have the pedestals built into them) but might have given me LS7 Rockers. I am going down to the dealer here in just a few minutes to talk to the parts manager and figure out how this could have happened. Until yesterday I did not even know this was something that was possible or to even look for, we did obviously turn it over and check but what may have caused it not to be noticed is when that was checked the lifters were not pumped up, no oil pressure. Atleast that is what the installer is thinking. He feel's horrible about it he certainly took his time but this could very well be the case of why this happened.

LS7 rockers are proprietary to LS7 heads. they are more aggressive 1.8 ratio (compared to 1.7ratio of LS3) and the 'offset' for the intake is different.

..this info is from memory and only 80% sure.....

Alright it has become clear that PRC / Texas Speed did not sell a product to CPR that was defective that I then bought. We both agree the Valves are not appropriate for my application and that will be corrected. However the true cause to this issue was not their fault it was actually a result of the Dealer Parts Department. When The LS3 Rockers and LS3 Pedestals were ordered somehow (this is still being looked into but the Dealer has promised to handle all damage) I got the LS3 Pedestals (LS7 Heads have the Pedestals built into the head unlike LS1/6, LS2 and LS3 Heads) but for some reason I got LS7 Rockers. As I had never worked on nor thought about LS7 Rockers I did not know to look for such a failure. Honestly I don't think anyone expected that to be the cause. However when they were compared to LS3 Rockers it became quite clear what the issue was. PRC / Texas Speed has been very helpful since they became involved, while I did not know these were Texas Speed heads I was wrong to fault them in this case. For this mistake I apologize to PRC / Texas Speed. I spoke with Dominic personally to apologize immediately after talking to the dealer so that I could do so directly and not just over the internet. Dominic has been very helpful and I thank him for the way he has handled this issue it speaks very well of the service Texas Speed provides. At this time I am waiting for estimates from Texas Speed on fixing the head situation with the proper setup for my build directly this time. The Machine Shop handling the Short Block has gotten back to me with some good news, only the Piston was damaged and technically it could be fixed but I have asked them to replace it. At this time nothing else was found to be damaged. I hope it stays that way. Thank you to PRC / Texas Speed

I've been to Texas Speed several times this year in Lubbock, TX. They have a nice shop and I talked to the owner a lot and gave me a complete tour of their building including their engine build room. It's a cleanroom quality area and only one guy builds the motors. Anyway, the owner is pretty cool and I'm sure that they will help you out. They also dyno tuned my friend's 2012 ZL1 Camaro that was crazy modded.

I was nothing but frustrated. I try to do everything I can to ensure things are smooth and reliable... that didn't work out so well this time lol. But I do feel better now, finally it seems like we have a real answer and can move forward.

So is the dealership going to pay for this fiasco since they sold you the wrong part?

Yes they said they would take care of it.

So is the dealership going to pay for this fiasco since they sold you the wrong part?

Yes they said they would take care of it.

im not arguing with you Cross, but Ill believe it when I see it.

..a dealership paying for a mistake on a hot rod car.

Posted Image

Especially when they see the bill. I hope the figure it out, but when they see the bill I wouldn't be surprised if they don't pay it all.

Honestly this is why you want somebody familiar with the LS engine family. That way when you give them LS7 rockers on accident they call you a dumbass and you get the right stuff. I don't see why the dealer would pay for what is essentially an assembly error. If they do pay, then great. But I don't see it.

Is the builder that bolted the heads on not taking any responsibility? I bet the dealership will want him involved in the blame game.

Honestly this is why you want somebody familiar with the LS engine family. That way when you give them LS7 rockers on accident they call you a dumbass and you get the right stuff. I don't see why the dealer would pay for what is essentially an assembly error. If they do pay, then great. But I don't see it.

Anyone with experience with pushrod engines should have caught that when they checked the wipe pattern as part of the valve train setup/check.