NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

2013 ALMS Race News, Results, and Insults

MOTV8

No denying they're damn quick around that joint, 2 hours and 45 minutes of bangin' will settle it though.

*Whistle*....freakin gorgeous pix up....had to vader teh eye candy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Morning warm up was not encouraging, vettes timed 6th and 8th quickest.....Gonna try to watch teh race on ESPN3 today...from work, of course.

You know, it occurs to me that if Olly wasn't racing an Aston Martin for teh WEC at COTA this weekend, he wouldn't have got to race there....

I'm kinda bothered by that, btw. :wtf:

OG drivin for Aston, not you having a light bulb moment.

I'm recording teh race off tv tomorrow just so I can enjoy that last 30 minutes over and over, awesome shi'ite.

He might be....what if CR cuts him loose? We'd have Beretta in a Ferrari, and Gavin in an Aston!

Garcia, Magnussen give Corvette Racing COTA win

Posted Image

Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia scored their second straight victory in the American Le Mans Series’ GT class on Saturday, winning the eighth round of the championship at Circuit of The Americas. Garcia led the final 58 minutes in his No. 3 Compuware Chevrolet Corvette C6.R under intense pressure to win by less than a second.

Their third victory of the season moved Garcia and Magnussen into the lead of the ALMS GT drivers’ championship with two rounds remaining. The result bolstered Chevrolet’s lead in the manufacturer standings and Corvette Racing’s advantage in the team championship.

“The ALMS GT class is ultra competitive,” said Jim Campbell, Chevrolet U.S. Vice President, Performance Vehiclesand Motorsports. “Corvette Racing's teamwork was the key element to put us in the best positions to race for a win today. Preparation, strategy, flawless pit stops and incredible driving by Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia delivered a fifth win for Corvette Racing this season. The championship points standings remain very tight. Our focus remains on prep for the final two races of the season.”

On the opposite end of the spectrum were Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner. Their No. 4 Corvette lost its transmission just shy of the one-hour mark. The duo entered the weekend with the drivers’ championship lead.

Milner started from third but moved to lead class lead at the start the race as both Corvettes got around the pole-sitting BMW before Turn 1. Magnussen dropped back to third but moved up two positions and into the lead 10 minutes later when the then-race leading Viper went wide off track and forced Milner to back off slightly.

Two stellar pit stops and an incredible strategic call on the team’s first stop put Garcia in the lead for good with a little less than an hour remaining. The Spaniard fended off multiple charges from Dirk Muller by timing the race traffic just right. He was able to put slower carsbetween himself and his competitors on numerous occasions to build gaps from as little as 0.2 seconds to 1.5 and 2 seconds at a time.

In the No. 4 Corvette, Milner reported having issues shifting up to third gear 11 minutes in, and the problem grew worse when the car lost drive in fourth gear at the 57-minute mark. It stopped halfway around the circuit and could not continue.

“It was great to see the Corvette Racing team salute our Corvette customers in the Corvette Corral directly across from our pit location with a win,” Campbell said. “We race to improve the production car, and we race for our Corvette owners.”

The next race for Corvette Racing is the Oak Tree Grand Prix on Saturday, Oct. 5 from Virginia International Raceway in Danville, Va. The race will air on ESPN2 at 5:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, Oct. 6 with live coverage at 2 p.m. ET, Oct. 5 on ESPN3.

And now, back to the C7.R....someone has tried to render it without teh 'camo'.....what do you think?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I got it DVR'd for later viewing... but it only recorded 2 hours 27 minutes..??? How long was the race?

2:45.....hopefully you're not missing teh last three minutes...

Agreed! I don't believe I've seen GT get that much continued coverage.

2:45.....hopefully you're not missing teh last three minutes...

Agreed! I don't believe I've seen GT get that much continued coverage.

In all fairness, LMP1 was already way in teh bag. But I'm happy about it nonetehless!

Watched it late last nite, watched the ending twice.... how awesome :lol

BTW, espn edited some in the middle so it was about 2 hours air time...

Great friggen' race, eh? (well.....for teh #3 car anyway)

So 7 points needed to lock up teh Manufacturer's Championship.....2 races left, 2 cars, I'd say odds are pretty good.

I don't know, if you think about it we won COTA by luck.

Either teh bimmer or teh viper could have passed Garcia, we got lucky with traffic and time.

Teh BoP could have cost us that race !

I don't see that as luck as much as skill.....Antonio Drove teh wheels of that biotch! He was a traffic-using mofo, even LMP cars. If we can get up front, we can usually stay there. (All we'll need is at least a 3rd to get those 7 points for teh Manufacturer, though be sure they are fighting for Driver's too....)

BTW: Did you see that pre-race interview with Wolf Henzler? He definitely was not happy with teh 2010 chassis, if with that giant rear wing, and teh race showed teh difference. I know teh Core Autosport has signed on for two Porsches for USCC next season, but will teh Falken Porsche be there too?