NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Oh NO!

theChad

Would it be safe to say you'd take the necklace off your dying mother?

Not til he washed the blood off his hands....

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FNBADAZ06

• Desertdawg

• Two Fangs

• HOXXOH

That's just a horrible feeling when something like that happens. It doesn't look that bad though. Hopefully you can be back on the road soon. My buddy had a turbo 944 Porsche and that thing caught on fire. Burned so hot the wheels melted. He said it was engulfed within a couple minutes. His girlfriend at the time was riding with him and smelled something burning. He pulled to the side of the road and whoosh. Up it went.

Yeah, it's nowhere near as bad as it looks in the photo. We're well on our way to getting her back on the road. The longest time will be waiting on the hydrodipping for the intake.

A WORD OF WARNING REGARDING HYRDRODIPPING INTAKES!:

We discovered that the filling primer that was used to make the surface smooth for the hydrodip process was laid on very thick and covered the attachment points and seats for the fuel rail. Despite being torqued to spec, the primer got hot, softened enough to allow the rail to move, and created a fuel leak. We ran the car on the dyno to operating temperature for a good period of time, but it still is not the same as real road conditions.

If you are going to have this type of work done, ensure that you remove all paint and primer from the manifold where the rails make contact. The solution will be to prep those surfaces after it's dipped and use a better quality fuel rail.

Hopefully this helps any DIYs or even other shops from making the same mistake and creating a dangerous situation. It could have been much worse if Victor wasn't quick on his feet.

We learned some lessons with respect to installing customer supplied, used fuel system components and will no longer be doing it as a matter of policy. We've also implemented about a half dozen new policies to ensure something like this never happens again.

what a nice mix of little errors... The RR loves to pick apart any accident, it's never one big screwup, it's always 13 little things that add up...

Great info. If I ever dress up the manifold I will make sure to check the mounting points!!

That's some great detective work. Hopefully word will get out so people don't start loosing their cars or even worse getting injured over this. Something so simple, yet dangerous. Victor, Are you going to post the results of all this over on Corvette Forum?

good question, Jon. I would want to speak with Dave before doing anything like that.

Update - Dave offered a gracious and amicable solution to the repairs that need to be executed to get FNBADAZ06 back onto the road, and the neccassary parts have been ordered. There is a local vendor in Tempe who now offers hydrographic printing that I will contact to see if they have the specific CF design that I had as my original finish, which will hopefully expedite the entire process as far a wait time is concerned. On first inspection, it looks as if I was spared any external paint damage...and I hope this continues to be the case. We have what I think is a hood hinge issue on the passenger side where the main fuel explosion occured, which tweaked a bracket (I'm hoping) due to the resulting percussion of the blast......THANK YOU VENTED HOOD !!!!!! Hopefully, we have a fully restored and operational car in the next week or two. Thanks again to Dave and the crew at LPM for getting FNBADAZ06 back onto the streets where it belongs. :partygrnhat:

Good to hear things are progressing ....... sorry you've had to have a "redo". I confident Dave & company will come through for you man !!!

On first inspection, it looks as if I was spared any external paint damage...and I hope this continues to be the case.

I just dropped by LPM and had a peek, paint still looks great Victor! :cool

Glad to hear the good news! Explosion was that big? Wow! Again, glad we still have you to kick around..

Dang ... Wanted to stop by LPM as well .... But rnnng late from Classic checking up on the. C5 That's good news on the paint ..... At least .... Hopefully tomorrow I'll get rolling a bit sooner

Guest badbobs95

Victor, I don't know how the hell I missed this whole thing. Even at the barbecue I heard nothing. At least you're OK and the car will be soon. So sorry dude. Posted Image

Glad to hear there wasn't much damage and it will be on the road soon. I will have to keep that fix in mind if I ever get mine done.

wickedfastvette

Don't know how I missed all this, glad you are fine Victor and the car will be on the road soon.

Met the hydroprinting vendor today and looked at the sample black carbon weave he thought matched what I had originally, and it looked correct....so he's got the go ahead to refinish the FAST manifold. He's going to expedite the work so hopefully we have something to use by mid-week.

...and, good L0RD !!!! I'm going to need to get a Facebook account just so I can address some of the goofy crap people have posted about this event :banghead

...and, good L0RD !!!!

Doen't do it... it will suck your brains out thru your eyesockets and leave you with the need to wear high heels... :bolt:

...and, good L0RD !!!!

Doen't do it... it will suck your brains out thru your eyesockets and leave you with the need to wear high heels... :bolt:

I used a friends account to access Facebook, but it would be weird to address comments "disguised" as him :facepalm:

F#cking Facebook :banghead