NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

New type of Radar used by DPS

6spdsforme

I was traveling southbound (eastbound) around 1445 this afternoon with my Valentine One on. I see in the distance a DPS car and Officer in the Medium standing behind his drivers open door shooting me with some kind of device. Valentine One did not go off, so it must be some kind of Range Finder device as my Valentine One also has Lazer detection. Anyone else see this or know what it is?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• az-gold

• Ted Y

• fourseventeen

• Eddie44

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, interesting. My V1 has missed a few RADAR alerts, but luckily I was stuck in traffic.

Sounds like laser to me.

Me too. That's the only thing you have to aim like that. The thing about Lidar is that it might have a very small beam that does not alert the detector.

When I said RADAR earlier, I meant LIDAR (getting old I guess). My V1 does not always pick it up.

Must be that new TSA-type of scanner that sees you naked. He's just taking pictures for his pr0n album. :smilelol

Must be that new TSA-type of scanner that sees you naked. He's just taking pictures for his pr0n album. :smilelol

fourseventeen

DPS uses LIDAR in all of their vehicles as far as I know. I have worked in the "industry" and I have never came across an officer who didnt reset their gun after a stop. and depending on the agency most will not let you view the device because it is permanantly mounted in the front and back windows of the vehicle with a controller box mounted on the dash. Most officers for their safety and your own will not let you step out of your car and walk back to theirs to view your trap speed on their device.

I've never seen a radar gun or lidar device with a time stamp on it. I would not let anyone on a traffic stop back to my car unless I have backup and they were in cuffs. I can tell you that I would never risk my salary, reputation, and retirement for lying about how fast someone was driving. Over a $190 ticket that goes to the General Fund of the city? Nah...

fourseventeen

I to have never seen any time/date on a speed device. Ted...who do you work with? Shoot me a PM if you prefer.

Its no secret. I'm a detective for Glendale PD Vehicular Crimes Unit. And by the way, I am a pretty friendly officer. No quota for me either.

fourseventeen

Its no secret. I'm a detective for Glendale PD Vehicular Crimes Unit.

And by the way, I'm am a pretty friendly officer. No quota for me either.

DPS uses LIDAR in all of their vehicles as far as I know. I have worked in the "industry" and I have never came across an officer who didnt reset their gun after a stop. and depending on the agency most will not let you view the device because it is permanantly mounted in the front and back windows of the vehicle with a controller box mounted on the dash. Most officers for their safety and your own will not let you step out of your car and walk back to theirs to view your trap speed on their device.

fourseventeen

MCSO units are either handheld with a cig plug or they are mounted in the front and back windshields permanantly. ALL citations written by MCSO MUST have the device serial number on the citation. Every unit with MCSO has to be tested before each shift by the deputy using that unit...i know this first hand.

That quota thing is BS lol. Then again with PPD who knows lol. Anyway right on I worked for SO for a while before taking a leave so I can make some real money working with my photography business more (so I could afford this Z06 LOL) I may or may not go back...we will see.

You know Sgt Brent Thomas then I assume? :facepalm:

I have one thing to say about so called "quotas". Have you ever seen government workers who were unionized have a performance minimum imposed upon them by upper management? Not likely.

I've known Brent for many years. Good guy and pretty successful gun vendor too. :)

That quota thing is BS lol. Then again with PPD who knows lol. Anyway right on I worked for SO for a while before taking a leave so I can make some real money working with my photography business more (so I could afford this Z06 LOL) I may or may not go back...we will see.

I wouldn't call a performance objective the same thing as a quota. If you were in a sales profession, you might see a list of salespeople with their monthly figures. If your primary job function was traffic law enforcement, it would make sense that a supervisor would track the activities of the employees. I've never seen or heard of a prescribed minimum number of tickets where I work.

fourseventeen

So the QUOTA is BS?

Hmmmm....then how is it that I saw first hand in a Connecticut State Police (and this was at the old Stafford Springs barracks before they moved to the new baracks in Tolland) locker room, while on a tour with the local Boy Scout's, on the bulletin board, right by the cofffee machine a listing titled "Performance Objectives" with detailed listing of the LEO's name, and the type and number of citations that they had issued for the previous months?

And now the argument comes "well that was Connecticut" to which "well, all LEO's carry firearms"...so don't got there, ok?

The dirty little secret of law enforcement.

fourseventeen

I so much preferred graves myself. I was always working 5pm-6:20am M-W or Thurs-Sat. Ill have to get out there and pay him a visit sometime. Maybe ill find out where he is sitting one night and just go blowing by him in the Z LOL.

I'm not a total absolute authority know it all either. But, if anyone has questions about police policies, law enforcement practices, and enforcement tools, I will share my knowledge and experience. Any other questions just ask. I'll tell you if I don't know the answer.

I can speak for PPD. They have what is known as Squad Averages. The Supervisor will track all catagories and you may be below the Squad average in tickets but well above in arrests or some other area. It's only if you're considerably below in all areas that you have a problem. I agree with others that you're not getting out of your vehicle on a traffic stop. Ask all you want but you won't get to see the reading. Using the reading over and over may happen back east but I'm with Ted, it isn't with my job and career for any ticket.