NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

My 82 Makeover

Buccaneer

Feeling better, at least I can get to work, and do it for the entire day. With the help of a lot of Darvaset.

I felt so good that I removed the seats, disassembled the console & gauge cluster. My quest was to find out why the radio was crooked. But I ran out of steam and it is still scattered in the gararge.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buccaneer

• Desertdawg

• Phill's Vette

• Tim

Desertdawg

Glad to hear your feeling better Jay, if you need some help just post up a garage day and we'll see if we can get some members to come over and break your stuff for you...

Feeling better, at least I can get to work, and do it for the entire day. With the help of a lot of Darvaset.

I felt so good that I removed the seats, disassembled the console & gauge cluster. My quest was to find out why the radio was crooked. But I ran out of steam and it is still scattered in the gararge.

Glad to hear that you are starting to feel a bit better Jay and hopefully getting around easier. When I get finished with mine, I'll give you a hand. Hope you don't mind waiting another six months or so. lol Ok, j/k maybe sooner. :)

Glad to hear your feeling better Jay, if you need some help just post up a garage day and we'll see if we can get some members to come over and break your stuff for you...

Watch out if Dwayne shows up to help, I think he's secretly wanting another CE and may steal some of your parts to build another one from scratch. :smilelol

Well as fate would have it the new Flex Fit bumper arrived, but doesn't fit well without having to do body work on the fenders to make it fit which is entirely out of the quetion right now. So I ended up just sucking up more cost and ordered the Urethane stock bumper that is supposed to be a GM resto replacement. It will ship today and hopefully recieve it by early or mid next week. I did have to drill out the rivets on the side bumper mount plates, repaint and then rivet them back into the fenders. I just want to finish this project and be done. Ohhhh...the pain! At this point, I think buying a C5 would be cheaper, but the wife still says no. :(

Desertdawg

I hope you don't have to respray the front end, it's going to be hard to match the paint after it's sat in the can this long...

I hope you don't have to respray the front end, it's going to be hard to match the paint after it's sat in the can this long...

Actually, what I might have to do is a mist coat over the entire car now to ensure the paint blends properly, but I won't know that until I start spraying the bumper and see what it looks like. The paint should be fine and there's enough (unmixed) left and just under a half gallon (mixed) to do the rest of the job. Its the heat I worry about even using a slower reducer.

Desertdawg

If these temps hold out a few more weeks you should be ok.

You can always do like I did when I sprayed my jeep, get up at 4:30 am and try to be done by 7 or 8 before it warms up for the day.

Yeah, you're right. I plan on checking the temps a week in advance and plan the spray around that. I'll end up getting up very early and spray it then and have the car taped the night before. I just wish I could have finished this up five weeks ago like planned. Ugh! :ack

Your paint looks great, you did a fantastic job on it, it's going to look good cruising down the highway.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE Part III...I think. Ok, I finished the small parts that needed a touch-up and the new front bumper on Saturday...they all came out rather nice. Then I decided to do the hood so that I'd only have to do the car itself on Sunday. Well as fate would have it, after the first coat of clear the bugs (nats) decided my hood would be a great place to hang out and stick around for a while.... So that ended the day for the hood and I'll have to sand it down again and reclear it later this week. :(

I did clear the car on Sunday with two more coats of clear, now the car has 4.5 coats of clear depending on how much gets sanded off and looks pretty good. I'll have to do a slight buff and it will be done. (Yippy) I had to do a blend on both front fenders and the drivers door. The fenders was from the fitment issue with the new bumper and a hairline crack from the bonding seam that I missed when I did the repairs on the fenders. It came out perfect and you can't tell it was blended. I had my friend come over that's a painter and he looked it over pretty good and was impressed with the new gun on how well it sprays. He couldn't find where I blended the areas either. Sometimes I scare myself...

So hopefully this weekend I may be able to start putting some things back together. It will still be another month at least before I'll be able to drive it since the new interior must go back in when assembly is complete. I'd post some more pics, but my youngest has the camera and he's not home at the moment. :(

Great news Tom .... can't wait to see your talented handy work ... :thumbs :thumbs

Ok, Just a couple so so pics of the area I had to repair and blend that came out just fine. One is of the front fender that was repaired after the first painting/CC about six to eight inches from the front, blended perfectly. The other is the same fender and part of the nose that I had to blend in with the entire front of the car. I'll take some better pics soon. These pics are of non buffed areas, just CC. The white spots are dust perticles, not dirt. Sorry for the poor quality pics right now.

SDC10586.jpg

SDC10585.jpg

Poor pics are better than no pics, that color is really popping in the light...

It's going to look killer in the sun!!!

Poor pics are better than no pics, that color is really popping in the light...

It's going to look killer in the sun!!!

:agree

Nice job!!!!

Thaks guys and here's a couple more of the new bumper. I ordered all the weatherstripping and door hardware a couple days ago so I can start putting it back together and at least drive it if needed, minus of course the new interior. :( I should be redoing the hood again this weekend if possible.

SDC10587.jpg

SDC10588.jpg

SDC10589.jpg

Thaks guys and here's a couple more of the new bumper. I ordered all the weatherstripping and door hardware a couple days ago so I can start putting it back together and at least drive it if needed, minus of course the new interior. :( I should be redoing the hood again this weekend if possible.

SDC10587.jpg

SDC10588.jpg

SDC10589.jpg

Whoa....whoa..you are allowed to put car parts in the living room......??????

(looks great...) :yesnod

Phill's Vette

No he isn't allowed to put car parts in the living room, I know his wife.........she must not have been home :wub

Tom - Looks way cool!!!!! I'll call you Sat/Sun before I come over to drool on all that fresh paint!

Really Good Job!

:thumbs

Ok, just a few more pics from today. I finished the hood today, but no good pics yet for that. It would appear that I'm done paiting/clearing etc... I hope! Now all the fun starts like putting it all together without scratching it. Yikes!

SDC10598.jpg

SDC10600.jpg

SDC10601.jpg

SDC10602.jpg

SDC10603.jpg

SDC10604.jpg

SDC10605.jpg