NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

My 82 Makeover

Buccaneer

Well, I finally finished the painting on my 82 on Sunday. It turned out pretty good and I love my new IWATA gun, it sprays really really nice! :partydance: Here's a couple of pics.

Rearquarter.jpg

driversside.jpg

DSCF2840.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buccaneer

• Desertdawg

• Phill's Vette

• Tim

Very nice! You can definitely be proud of that one and know that you did it yourself :thumbs

DAAAAAAAAANG!!!!!!!! That looks awesome!!!! Great job! Can't wait to see it in person!!!!

Andrew

Wow, that looks REALLY nice! Did you do that in your garage?

:agree

Tom if you did paint in the garage, how did you vent & dust control? Pictures look like you did a fantastic job. :thumbs

Thanks all for the comments. Yep, I did it in the garage and dirt becomes a real issue and I tried to keep it down as much as possible and prepped the garage the night before. While spraying the CC, a 15mph gust of wind came up and I almost $hit a Twinkie and knew coloring sanding was going to happen after the fact no matter what. I also used two box fans sucking the air out of the garage while I sprayed and made sure none of the neighbors cars were out just to be safe. I also covered everything in my garage as much as possible, it's always a huge job to paint in a garage IMO. I wanted to use a paint booth, but changed my mind at the last minute. I used an IWATA LPH400 gun and the overspray is fairly low, it is comparable to the SATA 3000 digital, but IMO is actually better and sprays with only 16psi to get 10 at the cap. However, I did spray both BC/CC at 18-20psi at the gun. The gun sprays really nice and I love it. I have two different caps, one for BC and the other for CC, the nozzle is a 1.4.

The car won't be done for another month or two because of the complete interior replacement and putting the car back together, replacing all the new stuff like the weather stripping and a few other things. I also had the windshield replaced which was the original last week. I'm in no hurry anyway at this point...its been a few years to get here, why hurry now. LOL

I do have a couple issues I have to take care of on the paint, when I was de-papering the car the last thing I took off was the rear tail light paper. I was tired as hell and it was late, I went to get up from the floor and bumped into the rear corner on the tail piece with my leg...I rubbed right through the CC, damn was I happy about that. It’s only a small issue, but its just more work to add to the list.

I was pretty sure you'd like that Iwata - the HVLP technology is great!

Looks really great Tom and I'm glad to see her shine. Believe me I know what you went through to paint in the garage. I think unless you use a booth with heaters, that it's impossible to not get something in the paint - whether it's part of you or the atmosphere - something is going to land on it before it drys...no way 'round it.

...never did put on those fancy header bolts! LOL

Hey Tom, that looks great! I can't believe how well the color shows up in the pics-so much better than the original stuff. :thumbs

So, where does the line start for paint jobs? :jester

M~

great job, Tom. How much will you charge to do mine?

Thanks Ted, but I'm not a professional painter. I'll leave that to the crew at Joe's place. I do ok and on my car it works out good. I made a couple mistakes that I can take of, but when you do other peoples cars and make a mistake, they get freaked out and its happened before so I don't do others cars anymore. Anyone that has ever done this type of stuff knows it is a TON of work and takes a LOT of time, thats why its taken me so long...LOL. Hopefully everything will be back together in a couple of months and then I can show it off. :rockon2:

Bitchin Tom, looks fantastic !!!!!! :thumbs

I can't wait to see it in person.

LOVE the color. Can't wait to see it in person and in the sun. It reminds me of my 50th vert. Nice job!

great job, Tom. How much will you charge to do mine?

Thanks Ted, but I'm not a professional painter. I'll leave that to the crew at Joe's place. I do ok and on my car it works out good. I made a couple mistakes that I can take of, but when you do other peoples cars and make a mistake, they get freaked out and its happened before so I don't do others cars anymore. Anyone that has ever done this type of stuff knows it is a TON of work and takes a LOT of time, thats why its taken me so long...LOL. Hopefully everything will be back together in a couple of months and then I can show it off. :rockon2:

Having grown up working in a body shop....yeah......a lot work...and no matter how much work you do....if the paint doesn't go on right....well..... been there............that's why there were two extra WOW's when I saw the pics.

Yeah, Tom. My question was tongue in cheek. I can understand not wanting to do other's cars.

LOL, No harm no foul. Just thought you might be serious.