NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Corvette Sunday-checking C6 rear axle torque nuts

jmartin

You wanna come over and let us check your nuts Dave?? :smilelol:smilelol

I can do Sunday as long as it's early.

I think my nuts are just fine, but I might come by and heckle you guys as you play with yours. Are we talking this Sunday? Can you PM me an addy plz?

Thx Eddie

We'll try to stop and point - it will be good to get away for a few minutes....but I'm not checking anyone's nuts...

M~

We'll try to stop and point - it will be good to get away for a few minutes....but I'm not checking anyone's nuts...

M~

"Turn your wheel and cough for me."

M~

"Turn your wheel and cough for me."

Now that's funny especially because I just had the yearly physical on Monday. :lol

Subject: Tapping or Scraping Noise From Rear Wheel Area (Replace Wheel Drive Shaft Nut) #07-04-95-001 - (09/26/2007)

Models: 2005-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

Condition

Some customers may comment on a tapping or a scraping noise coming from the rear wheel area.

Cause

This condition may be due to the torque on the wheel drive shaft nut relaxing over time.

Correction

Replace the left and the right wheel drive shaft nut following the procedure below.

Remove the center cap from the rim.

Remove and discard the wheel drive shaft nut.

Apply LOCTITE™ 272, or equivalent, to the threads of the axle shaft.

Install the nut and tighten to the new specification.

Tighten

Tighten the nut to 215 N·m (160 lb ft).

Install the center cap to the rim.

Important: The vehicle should not be driven for 24 hours following the repair in order to allow the thread lock to cure.

Robert and Elizabeth
Important: The vehicle should not be driven for 24 hours following the repair in order to allow the thread lock to cure.

Does this mean we need a sleep over at Eddie's house? Everyone bring your PJ's! :partydj:

Does this mean we need a sleep over at Eddie's house? Everyone bring your PJ's! :partydj:

I hear Eddie makes great breakfast, Steak and eggs, pancakes, french toast you name it!!

Post up your order so he can get everything he needs!

Now that's funny especially because I just had the yearly physical on Monday. :lol

:hijack: Sorry for my total hijack, but...

Thanks for that 'Halloween' visual Eddie.... :willy

DR. DOLEN: Bend over and drop your pants, Mr. Babar.

FLETCH: Oh really, there's no need to -- we don't want to do that....

DR. DOLEN: Just relax....

FLETCH: Honest, I feel fine. You better be married.

fletch.jpg

FLETCH: ....moooOOONN river....

FLETCH: Thankyou Doc. Ever served time?

FLETCH: Aaarrrggghhh! Using the whole fist Doc?

Dr. Dolan: Well, I don't find anything wrong with you.

Fletch: Well, I'm sure it's not for a lack of looking.

:laugh: End hijack :buc: I hope you all get your nuts in spec and let them cure overnight! :nutkick:

Anybody else wanna join us?

From Gary's directions it doesn't sound like a difficulty job, just needing the right tools. I'm going to Sears today to see about a 33 and 34mm sockets. I figure it's something that should probably be checked on a regular basis.

Well I found the 33/34mm sockets. Sears doesn't stock them, Checker doesn't stock them. I finally found them at AutoZone.

Here's a good "loose nut" thread from CF

My nuts came in the mail today. I figured just for chuckles I'd check the size (33mm or 34mm). Both are a sloppy 34mm and 33mm won't even come close to fitting. I think what some have posted on CF may be true. I think the nuts are actually a 1 and 15/16" size. Go figure, who'd think GM would do something like that????

The results are:

Mikey - tight to specs

Eddie - passenger side slightly loose

Robert & Elizabeth - passenger side very loose

Jack - both sides loose but passenger side worse than drivers

Since mine were almost to specs I have two new nuts if anyone needs them. I also have the 33/34mm sockets but I think a 1 5/16 would be a better fit. Any C6 owners that want to check their nuts can call me or PM me and it will take about 10 mins max to check them. I plan on checking them every time I change the oil from now on.

Robert and Elizabeth

We had a great time today at Eddie's house. I think we chatted it up pretty good, eh? We all finally got a chance to meet Vettski, a newby. I would say it was a successful day with fixing our nuts and Jack's. Robert handed back Eddie his nuts and said he has never held another man's nuts before! :lol

Here is our contribution....

Here is Jack un-torquing his driver's side nut.....

ACECorvetteSunday8-4-07002.jpg

Here is Eddie pointing to Jack's driver's side nut....

ACECorvetteSunday8-4-07003.jpg

Here is what it looks like with the nut off....

ACECorvetteSunday8-4-07004.jpg

Here is Jack adding lok-tite to his nut area......

ACECorvetteSunday8-4-07005.jpg

Here is everyone just hanging out while Jack was working with his nuts (you get the picture!).....

ACECorvetteSunday8-4-07006.jpg

ACECorvetteSunday8-4-07007.jpg

ACECorvetteSunday8-4-07008.jpg

For those of you that have never been to one, this is what a "Corvette Sunday" is really about.... one person working and the rest bsing. :lol

For those of you that have never been to one, this is what a "Corvette Sunday" is really about.... one person working and the rest bsing. :lol

Looks like you're playing with your nuts Eddie. :smilelol:bolt:

Looks like you're playing with your nuts Eddie. :smilelol:bolt:

Growing up it was the only toys my Momma let me have. :lol

Here is Eddie pointing to Jack's driver's side nut....

I never thought of labeling them from side to side!

Great pics,:thumbs and a killer vid from Andrew