NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Corvette Sunday-checking C6 rear axle torque nuts

jmartin

I was wondering if anyone was interested in doing a Saturday or even a sunday(except this sunday, mystery cruz) I can host if anyones up to it. I ordered the front skid plates for the supports that I keep bashing on steep drive ways and will also need to do an oil change and dont have any pucks or ramps if someone can help out in this area. I also picked up loc tite and some new rear axle torque nuts just in case so I have them if anyone wants to come by and check those out on their c6. I have torque wrench, floor jack and such but still need to pick up sockets in the 33, 34 mm size.

UPDATE: This is taking place at Eddie44's house on November 4, 2007. It starts at 8am and will go until noon if need be. Please PM Eddie44 for directions to his house if you are interested.

I'd definitely be up for a Vette day. This weekend is not good with the Mystery Cruise. Everything else will have to get done on Sat. Maybe next Sunday??

I need the rear axle torque checked. Is it best to replace my old nuts? :lol :lol

I have the torque wrench, ramps, pucks, etc. I don't have the large sockets either.

If you need the Sockets let me know! :thumbs

We need the 33/34 mm sizes. Apparently theres some discrepancy on what the exact size is. I've got everything else we'd need. Anybody else with a C6 interested?

Right now I believe it's

Jack

Phil

Eddie

I'll host it if we can get the sockets.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a cutoff date for the loose rear axle torque issue or are all C6 Vettes at risk? My 2007 C6 was built 11/22/06. Do I need to worry?

I haven't really studied the issue but I don't know that GM has changed anything in the rearends. It's easy to check so I wouldn't assume it's ok w/o checking it. Courtesy supposedly checked mine when they did the fluid change to cure the rearend noise. I don't trust any dealer so I'm going to check it myself.

Jack and I were talking tonight and he bought two new nuts for less than $10 ea. He has the locktite and Edward has the sockets. I have the room, ramps, jack, etc so we just need to set a date. I know of 4-5 C6's that would like to do the check.

I did a search on CF regarding this issue and it's disturbing.

Let me know where, when and what you want me to bring and I'll be there.

Thnx,

Mike

Robert and Elizabeth

We'd be interested, let us know when. Eddie, were gonna need your address PM'd to us.

E~

Guest Vettski
I haven't really studied the issue but I don't know that GM has changed anything in the rearends. It's easy to check so I wouldn't assume it's ok w/o checking it. Courtesy supposedly checked mine when they did the fluid change to cure the rearend noise. I don't trust any dealer so I'm going to check it myself.

Jack and I were talking tonight and he bought two new nuts for less than $10 ea. He has the locktite and Edward has the sockets. I have the room, ramps, jack, etc so we just need to set a date. I know of 4-5 C6's that would like to do the check.

Eddie, I would like to participate if possible. Somewhat new to ACE and haven't met any members yet. I assume I would have to buy new nuts. Any recommendations? Dealer? Have 2005 coupe, man6. Please PM me if possible. Do C5's also have this prob? Thanks, Dan

Eddie, I would like to participate if possible. Somewhat new to ACE and haven't met any members yet. I assume I would have to buy new nuts. Any recommendations? Dealer? Have 2005 coupe, man6. Please PM me if possible. Do C5's also have this prob? Thanks, Dan

If your thinking of picking up new nuts dont hesitate to long cause the dealers who do carry them only keep one in stock. I had to get one from midway and the other from courtesy and I think they said maybe van was the only other one in town who carried one. Of coarse you can order them too but who knows when you may get them. The GM part # is 10257766

Using Jack's part number I just ordered two ($21 includes shipping) from GM Parts House

As soon as I get them, which should be next week, we'll schedule a Corvette Saturday/Sunday. Which works best for everyone?

Robert and Elizabeth
Using Jack's part number I just ordered two ($21 includes shipping) from GM Parts House

As soon as I get them, which should be next week, we'll schedule a Corvette Saturday/Sunday. Which works best for everyone?

Saturdays or Sundays work well for us. Looking forward to this! Thanks Eddie and jmartin for getting this off the ground! It is really appreciated! :thumbs

Let's shoot for early Saturday at my house. As of yesterday they shipped my nuts so I assume I'll have them by Sat. Everyone that wants to put it on your calendar and I'll advise later in the week if I get my package from GM Parts House.

Let's shoot for early Saturday at my house. As of yesterday they shipped my nuts so I assume I'll have them by Sat. Everyone that wants to put it on your calendar and I'll advise later in the week if I get my package from GM Parts House.

Sorry, what was that Eddie? They shipped your nuts and GM Parts House has your package? Man, I would say you have more important stuff to deal with than mods... :lol

Teds got a point eddie saturday is club day at speed world maybe we should try for sunday, whats the consensus folks?

Robert and Elizabeth

We are in for Sunday if it is ok with everyone else. By the way, we are keeping the nuts we have and the package! :smilelol

You wanna come over and let us check your nuts Dave?? :smilelol:smilelol

I can do Sunday as long as it's early.

Robert and Elizabeth
You wanna come over and let us check your nuts Dave?? :rofl :rofl

I can do Sunday as long as it's early.

Oooooooh, Eddie does incalls :smilelol:smilelol

Definitely check your nuts guys. Hey Elizabeth, you too! Check Vanessa's nuts!! She does have them, you know. HMMM, what does that make her, a TransVettetite? Or a hermaphvettite? :ack

I'm the one who has one 33mm nut and one 34mm nut. I never did think my nuts were the same size and now it's confirmed. ;) My right nut was tight but my left nut turned at 20 ftlbs vs 118 ftlbs spec. Yes, I'd call that disturbing! I'm going to keep checking them often after this experience! :nutkick:

Anyone else want to stop by and point? Chances are someday you'll all or at least the majority will own C6's. It might be a valuable learning experience. Let me know and I'll PM you the address.

Robert and Elizabeth
Definitely check your nuts guys. Hey Elizabeth, you too! Check Vanessa's nuts!! She does have them, you know. HMMM, what does that make her, a TransVettetite? Or a hermaphvettite? :ack

I'm the one who has one 33mm nut and one 34mm nut. I never did think my nuts were the same size and now it's confirmed. ;) My right nut was tight but my left nut turned at 20 ftlbs vs 118 ftlbs spec. Yes, I'd call that disturbing! I'm going to keep checking them often after this experience! :nutkick:

I'm not going to comment on your one nut being bigger than the other (sounds like a personal problem to me), but the rest of it was pretty damn funny!