NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

AZ Drive-out Coming Up! V. V.

EFE Z06

Guest racingchester

]

Yah I will be there. Bring the guy that used to own the 94 I have. he needs a fix reallll bad. Should be ther about 9. Costco is on the east side of Prescott - right. Just after Prescott Valley.

]

Yah I will be there. Bring the guy that used to own the 94 I have. he needs a fix reallll bad. Should be ther about 9. Costco is on the east side of Prescott - right. Just after Prescott Valley.

Correct, half way up the hill out of PV on the south side of 69. So two for a fix on Route 66! :rockon2:

Look forward to seeing you guys!

:thumbs

EFE Z06

I wanted to thank all of you that showed up for the drive-out, it turned out to be a great experience for all! Sorry some didn't show up and others came late and met us up at Rod's Steakhouse later in the day. We still had a good turn out (8 or 9 vettes) and it was great seeing that group of Corvettes cruising through Seligman, Route 66 and Williams.

A brief description of our drive-out:

We met at Costco 9:30am, waited till 9:50 and took off heading up Hwy 89 out of Prescott. As I said, we did have about 8 or 9 Corvettes overall. We stopped in the old historic town of Seligman and some got a lot of laughs from the owners of the Route 66 Cafe, these people are natural comedians! We then headed out of Seligman to the 25 mile straight section of old Route 66 where the eye can see a car a good 15 miles down the road! I guided all the vettes about 10 to 12 miles down the long straight away and then turned around and stopped along the side of the road. I asked if anybody wanted to experience what their vette could really do when opened up, now was the time and the place to feel it! :partydance: I told each driver to wait till the car in front of them got about a block ahead before taking off, then make sure no cars were coming in the opposite direction. I visually checked the sky for any stray airplanes, then my radar detector for any beeps, everything was clear. We waited a few minutes and the opposite side of the highway was clear of any oncoming cars as far as I could see, but a couple of motorcyclist came cruising by us on our side of the road, then a motorhome followed shortly after. So I waited a couple of minutes and let them get a mile or so down the road thinking that would give us plenty of space between each other, I was wrong! :crazy

I took off first with my co-pilot who had never been over 120 mph, it didn't take long and I went past the motorhome at about 170 mph, then within seconds flew past the two motorcycles. You can imagine what they thought when a blur passed them and before they could say "What was that?" - I was a dot way out in front of them! :eek I hit my previous record of 180 mph and let off the gas, but I noticed the road was still very clear and empty ahead of me so I hit the throttle again and decided to break my old record, I held the throttle till the speedo read 191 mph and at that altitude (approx. 4400ft) it had trouble climbing any higher. The car was sort of floating and my co-pilot (Kenneth Deborde) and I were calmly talking about the sensation we were experiencing at that speed, it was surprisingly quiet probably because the engine noise was being blown behind us at 190 mph, it was a little scary! :partyspin: I really don't remember much wind noise and because we were able to talk to each other (at a normal level), I think that proves GM has done a good job in the wind tunnel.

After letting off and slowing down to 140, it felt like we were only doing 60 or 70 mph, it's crazy but that's what 140 feels like after coming down from over 190 mph. When we finally slowed down to 60 it actually felt like we were only going about 20 mph! Traveling at a very high speed (over 175) does something to the mind and makes you lose your sense of reality when you come down to normal speeds, you lose all fear of how fast you are truly going unless something happens to jump out in front of you??? :banghead All the other vettes hit anywheres from 125 to 160 mph and some have e-mailed me and said they loved the sensation. I say what good is it to own a Corvette if you aren't ever going to feel what it can do over most other cars? :rockon2: I got everybody pretty fired up about taking their vettes to limits they've never tried before and nobody was left out, I believe they all loved it! :3gears:

After testing our nerves on Route 66, we headed to Williams for our steak sandwich lunch. Everybody loved the steak sandwiches at Rod's Steakhouse and then when we headed back to Prescott to our final destination of the drive-out to have a Robek's Smoothie. There was a terrible accident on the eastbound side of Hwy 40 between Williams and Ashfork, a truck looked like it had rolled over a few times and killed the driver, he was lying on the ground next to it with a cover over him. I'm assuming it had to have happened shortly after we passed that area on the way to Rod's? Eastbound traffic was backed up for over 5 miles and it didn't look like they were anywhere near cleaning the accident scene up!

Overall our second Velocity Vettes drive-out was another success and it brought together a bunch of Corvette enthusiast who love to drive their cars! We look forward to seeing some of you again on one of your drive-outs or perhaps the Corvette Show at Prescott on the 29th of this month. I'm told many Corvettes are coming up to the show even though they won't be entering it, I'm really looking forward to it!

Thanks,

EFE Z06

A few pictures of Velocity Vettes Route 66 Drive-Out.

Meeting at Costco - a

Costcoa.jpg

Costco - b

Costcob.jpg

Our stop at Seligman - a

Seligmana.jpg

Seligman - b

Seligmanb.jpg

Seligman - c

Seligmanc.jpg

Ready to get it on at Route 66

Route66-Readytostart.jpg

Had a blast!!!!

140 for me ,but something got in my way!

Something or someone? :smilelol

I didn't let a motorhome or a couple of motorcycles stop me, the opposite lane was open and clear as far as the eye could see, so I took advantage of it!!

EFE Z06

Seligmanc.jpg

Did you all stop for a tat before lunch??? :lol

About twenty minutes after that picture was taken, all of those beautiful clean Corvettes got plastered with bug tattoos from our front bumpers to the top of our windshields, I could barely see out of mine by the time I came to a stop! :eek I still haven't got all of them off yet. :lol

EFE Z06

I have not gotten all the bugs off either. Some of them were 4-5 inches long. Uyk! :banghead:U:smilelol:smilelol

As far as passing goes, I thought about it, but there were two cars ahead of me, already in the middle of the road!!!!

:banghead:o:ack:(:cuss:burnout:burnout:burnout