Friday Night Drags 4/13

ICULUKN

Guys

Great pictures of the drags. I wish I had read these msgs and known that you all were going to the Firebird strip on Fri, as I went to speed world by myself on Sat. night --- first time at the strip. I didn't really know what to do and had trouble staging and getting off the line with the new C6 auto with the stock tires, and my best time was 13.4 at 108. I'd like to know if this is a simi decent time for a newby racer or really poor? Any comments?

On that last (but best) pass I think I rolled through the starting lights with the breaks still on because as I put torque on the tranny the car edged forward as the lights went down and I didn't get the brakes off as fast as I mashed the gas.

What should I be looking for in time and MPH with a stock C6 auto?

Hawkeye

Hey Hawkeye, I think you're in the ballpark for an auto. I went back to the ACE club race day thread HERE to look for times. Joe (sloryde) ran a best of 12.98 in his C6 auto that has an intake, catback, and tune, see his post on page 8 or 9 of the thread. More seat time practicing your launch will help. Then there's always mods... :devil

In my best pass in a slightly moded C5 my best time was 13.4 @ 108...so with practice you should get a bit better. A C6 is just a bit faster than the C5's, so you are in the ballpark.

Does anyone know what a bone stock new Z06 should run in the 1/4? I was looking at some calculators and it says that a stock Z06 with that wieght and HP should run 11.85 all day long, is that true or is it faster or slower? Just curious...

According to my September 2006 Car and Driver Mag, a stock 2006 Z06 ran an 11.7 @ 123 mph (0-60 in 3.5s) in a test in Germany. The 2007 has the same engine but has softer rear shocks for better handling. There was a test in the Spring of 2007 that I believe was slightly faster, but I lent that issue to my friend.

Car and Driver also tested a 2006 C6 Z51 which ran a best of 12.8 @ 113 mph (0-60 in 4.3s) in June 2006.

Hawkeye's trap speed at 108 is pretty good so I would look to make up that time on the launch and reaction time. I hear that the C6 auto is pretty good and doesn't lose too much time to the manual.

**NOTE** I believe C&D corrects their measured times to sea level...

Car and Driver also tested a 2006 C6 Z51 which ran a best of 12.8 @ 113 mph (0-60 in 4.3s) in June 2006.

Hawkeye's trap speed at 108 is pretty good so I would look to make up that time on the launch and reaction time. I hear that the C6 auto is pretty good and doesn't lose too much time to the manual.

Hey Ted, you can't decrease elapsed times with better or worse reaction times. You could sit there with the lights green and read a book, then start your run down the track to whatever your e.t. is....huh, Steve. :toetap Getting a good launch without spinning 'em or bogging is crucial, gotta work on those 60 ft. times. :yesnod

Magazine times. :huh Like I said, with Speedworld's density altitude, a 13.4 is right in the neighborhood for a bone stock C6 auto. Hawkeye, you can mess with your tire pressure a little, sometimes that can help you hook a little better....but start saving now, 'cause if you like that 1/4 mile, you will be modding. :devil

L8R, Dean

Hey Ted, you can't decrease elapsed times with better or worse reaction times. You could sit there with the lights green and read a book, then start your run down the track to whatever your e.t. is....huh, Steve. :toetap Getting a good launch without spinning 'em or bogging is crucial, gotta work on those 60 ft. times. :yesnod

Magazine times. :huh Like I said, with Speedworld's density altitude, a 13.4 is right in the neighborhood for a bone stock C6 auto. Hawkeye, you can mess with your tire pressure a little, sometimes that can help you hook a little better....but start saving now, 'cause if you like that 1/4 mile, you will be modding. :devil

L8R, Dean

L8R,Dean

I had the tire pressures set at about 28lb. Maybe that is a little too hard, but I didn't get a "lot" of wheel spin. I do like the 1/4 mile, so I'll start saving for an Air box at least, and practice not staging so deep, and edging through the lights with the brakes still on and gas mashed to the floor.

This summer I am going to try Autocrossing. I used to be a road racer, driving my FV at tracks like BIR, Road America, and Black Hawk Farms. I think its too expensive to road race now so the !/4 mile and autocross will have to do.

I'm looking forward to another track day with you guys in the fall at Firebird.

Hawkeye

post-541-1177028714.jpg

Thanks for the info Ted. :thumbs At least the numbers are somewhat close.

Guest UVETTYA

Correct. Reaction time doesn't count towards your E.T. It's important if you're bracket racing though.

And Dean is right - if you're spinning, you're not winning. .1 second better on the launch can usually net you .2 on your E.T.