Nevada Open Road Challenge May 2023

Chameleon

Donna, thanks for the video.  We're all very jealous.  Had to be a lot of fun.  How did you do speed wise, avg, place, etc?

12 hours ago, roneva said:

Donna, thanks for the video.  We're all very jealous.  Had to be a lot of fun.  How did you do speed wise, avg, place, etc?

Our "target" speed was 105 mph.  Meaning, our goal was to average exactly 105 mph over the entire length of the course. 

Our "tech" speed was 124 mph.  Meaning, if we went over 124 we would be disqualified and likely banned from competing.

Slowest speed over the course was 90 mph and top speed was 118. 

We officially averaged 104.98 mph over the 122.76 total miles of the course.  That sounds maybe not too bad, but it actually sucked.  We were seven seconds slow at the final finish line, which put us only one car above last place in our class.  We made some mistakes in timing, and learned a lot from that.  We will do better next year!

• Like 3

That vid was cool, but I would have thought you would drive it like you stole it, just like ACE event runs. :rolf  Anyway, I would love to take the C3 to that someday, but if the tires are the restriction to top speed, I'm screwed even though I know the C3 will do 160 flat out. :smilelolHow do they restrict the car speeds?

14 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

That vid was cool, but I would have thought you would drive it like you stole it, just like ACE event runs. :rolf  Anyway, I would love to take the C3 to that someday, but if the tires are the restriction to top speed, I'm screwed even though I know the C3 will do 160 flat out. :smilelolHow do they restrict the car speeds?

Driving it like I stole it would have resulted in disqualification and probable banning from participation in future races, not only at this event but at the other open road races held here in the US (the organizers share information about idiot participants).  The race is monitored by airplane, drone, course workers, GPS and radar hidden throughout the course.  If you break the rules, they WILL know it.

Regardless of how fast your car is capable of going, there are three things that determine your speed: vehicle equipment (including tires), occupant safety gear, and driver experience. 

Unless you have verified road racing experience, you are a rookie and must start in the Touring class.  Next spring I can move up to Grand Touring, and in the fall I can move up to Grand Sport (sustained target speed of up to 155 (minimum speed of 125 at all times), maximum speed 165. I will probably run a couple of races in Grand Touring before moving up to Grand Sport, and here is why. . .

Driving at 160 for 2-3 miles (which I have done in the past) is NOT the same as driving at 100+ mph for 90+ miles.  Sustained high speed is hard on the car, especially the tires, and takes mental focus (which I was lacking this race because 105 felt butt-ass slow to me, NOT GOOD).  This is not a casual racing event like No Fly Zone.  There have been fatalities in this race, and there are strict equipment and gear requirements for safety.  160 sounds fun, but if you have a blowout or other equipment failure at that speed you are definitely leaving the road, likely rolling, and without proper equipment/gear, you will probably be DEAD.  Even with course workers everywhere and an ambulance available, you could be 30 minutes for the ambulance to get to you and then the nearest hospital is 50-140 miles away, depending upon where you wreck. 

In the big picture, the way the event is managed and the requirements they place on participants make sense. 

So. . . make sure your tires are OEM or better load/speed rating, put a fire extinguisher in your car, get a Snell certified helmet, and bring your car out. 

• Like 2

"Sigh"! Well I guess I would be relegated to under 115 with a S or T rated tire then. You can not find a tire rated higher than that that I know of for a C3 15" tire. If I were to go to an 18", then I could go with a VR rated tire which would be nice, but way too much work for that to happen. Right now I'm running MT street tires. :burnout

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

"Sigh"! Well I guess I would be relegated to under 115 with a S or T rated tire then. You can not find a tire rated higher than that that I know of for a C3 15" tire. If I were to go to an 18", then I could go with a VR rated tire which would be nice, but way too much work for that to happen. Right now I'm running MT street tires. :burnout

your and my c3s would never last that many miles at Donna’s high speed without doing something crazy like breaking.  Towing back would suck. 

Nice find Joe. Who the hell makes VITOUR Galaxy tires? Never heard of them. I think my car would make the grade in that run...As long as I didn't shut it off and try to start it again. :rolf

EDIT: I just looked up who makes the tires. MADE IN CHINA! Yeah, that isn't gonna happen.

Outstanding, Donna !!!!

I wonder if Old Fart Racing is still participating in this event ?

I've gone a few times, but haven't entered/driven the car yet.........

3 hours ago, FNBADAZ06 said:

Outstanding, Donna !!!!

I wonder if Old Fart Racing is still participating in this event ?

I've gone a few times, but haven't entered/driven the car yet.........

YES!!!!  The Old Fart Racing Team is there!  Awesome group of guys, a couple of them were very helpful to us and the other rookies there.

Dude, you should come out.  It is a blast!!!!

1 hour ago, Chameleon said:

YES!!!!  The Old Fart Racing Team is there!  Awesome group of guys, a couple of them were very helpful to us and the other rookies there.

Dude, you should come out.  It is a blast!!!!

I will !!! I have a few fellow racers who compete in SSC that i've gone up with (but not drive/co-pilot). It's on my bucket list of events :)

• Like 1

Oh, MAN, Kiddo!!! Glad you had such a blast!  The video was outstanding, I ran it four times just to experience the narrows with you :burnout.  Moving up next year will be even more exciting, as you'll be moving faster and that road will be narrower.

3 hours ago, Dave64 said:

Oh, MAN, Kiddo!!! Glad you had such a blast!  The video was outstanding, I ran it four times just to experience the narrows with you :burnout.  Moving up next year will be even more exciting, as you'll be moving faster and that road will be narrower.

Glad you enjoyed the video.

Thinking of Grand Touring Division at 115 in the spring for NORC with 120 or 125 in the fall for SSCC, all at tech speed of 140.  Then maybe Grand Sport Division the following year at 130/135. :partydance:  We shall see how my car and my bank account hold up...:lol