NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Windows 10...

Buccaneer

I'm still waiting for them to put the gun to my head and force me to comply. Hopefully the glitches get worked out

agreed.  Purposely bought a Windows 7 laptop last Christmas, and I'll stay there until forced to update.  

CHICKEN! :bolt: Where's your sense of adventure? :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buccaneer

• az57chevy

• Bigfoot

• ChadC

I had similar problem.  The old standby of turn it off and start it back up fixed it for me.

But all my calendar appointment show up an hour early when imported from iPhone.  Thought it was due to DST but still an issue now

When I was forced to upgrade from XP the new 8.1....whatever.   The new "tile" screen layouts played hell with me doing cut 'n paste flyers.  I found Classic Shell that converts the screen view back to the XP/7/Vista screen view many are used to.

http://www.classicshell.net/

All RIGHTY THEN! I found another issue with Windows 10, but it also applies to Windows 8/8.1. After fixing the issue with START button thanks to Joe, everything was working just fine again...until last night when it did a auto windows update. After the update I had NO INTERNET ACCESS, WTF?! I tried several things since I didn't have and WiFi or Hardwire access just on the laptop, everything else on network worked fine, in other words, no valid IP. CRAP!! That would mean that the IP stack info is probably corrupt. Here is the fix that worked for me so I will furnish the info for you ACEholes.

1. Go to cmd prompt ( All apps, Windows System, right click)

2. open as admin, right click on cmd prompt to do that.

3. type...netsh winsock reset catalog (should get it was successful)

4. type...netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log (should say the same thing with a few OK lines and a failed line, don't worry about that one)

5. reboot windows. It should be OK and now connect to your network.

If not, try these...

Go to cmd prompt again and right click to run as Admin.

1. type... netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

2. type...netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

3. type...netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

4. reboot

All RIGHTY THEN! I found another issue with Windows 10, but it also applies to Windows 8/8.1. After fixing the issue with START button thanks to Joe, everything was working just fine again...until last night when it did a auto windows update. After the update I had NO INTERNET ACCESS, WTF?! I tried several things since I didn't have and WiFi or Hardwire access just on the laptop, everything else on network worked fine, in other words, no valid IP. CRAP!! That would mean that the IP stack info is probably corrupt. Here is the fix that worked for me so I will furnish the info for you ACEholes.

1. Go to cmd prompt ( All apps, Windows System, right click)

2. open as admin, right click on cmd prompt to do that.

3. type...netsh winsock reset catalog (should get it was successful)

4. type...netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log (should say the same thing with a few OK lines and a failed line, don't worry about that one)

5. reboot windows. It should be OK and now connect to your network.

If not, try these...

Go to cmd prompt again and right click to run as Admin.

1. type... netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

2. type...netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

3. type...netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

4. reboot

SCREW THAT!!! I lastred all of 5 min with W10. Went back to whatever is running on my laptop trouble free for at least the last 5 years.

• 3 weeks later...

OK geeks...So this morning I fire up my laptop only to find out what the Windows 10 BSOD looks like. WTF?! Error is...UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION. Since the laptop wouldn't boot at all, I figured that error means something along the lines as NO HDD DETECTED. Yep, I was right. It's Monday, right? Ugh!

After several retry's, no help same issue. I took laptop apart and reseated all the connections and took HDD out and reconnected it, RAM reseated etc... Rebooted laptop with HDD hanging outside of laptop and miraculously it booted, slow, but booted. It wouldn't recognize any external drives so I rebooted it again and everything worked properly again. Before all these issues with Win10 I liked it, now...Not so sure anymore. BTW, I just installed the "new" Win10 major update a few days ago which I'm assuming that is not the issue, at least hopefully anyway.

Just thought I post up another Win10 I have come across, good luck all.

P.S. For the ACEholes that haven't upgraded yet. You know what MS says..."You will be absorbed into our family". :) Have a great Monday. :thumbs 

2 things

-you are describing hardware issues not software. 

-Microsoft has 83%+ market share of all the operating computers on the planet, and has for along time. 

there is no  'Absorbed into our family' Borg Assimilate plan.  Its been there for 30 years.

Windows 10 is fine. its not perfect, but its fine.

in a matter of years it will be adopted just like the move to Windows 7.

the way of technology is "Move froward, never back.  "

2 things

-Microsoft has 83%+ market share of all the operating computers on the planet, and has for along time. 

there is no  'Absorbed into our family' Borg Assimilate plan.  Its been there for 30 years.

Are you SURE I'm wrong again? You pointed out how wrong I was about the x-over cable NOT having ANY relevance to my speed issue...Installed x-over cable, problem fixed...Jus sayin' network geek. :) As for the hardware software. Yeah, BSOD was for HDD not being seen, but after boot, it was VERY SLOW to boot to desktop for some odd reason.

I don't do any major computing/geeking out stuff at all on my computers. With that said, Win10 seems to be the most stable platform I've ever used. I haven't had a single crash with it at all...and I'm on one pretty much all day long at work. I restart this machine once per week. Nothing more.

Totally weird.

2 things

Are you SURE I'm wrong again? You pointed out how wrong I was about the x-over cable NOT having ANY relevance to my speed issue...Installed x-over cable, problem fixed...Jus sayin' network geek. :) As for the hardware software. Yeah, BSOD was for HDD not being seen, but after boot, it was VERY SLOW to boot to desktop for some odd reason.

yes I am sure you are wrong.

I know exactly how and what X-over cables are used for. by you using that in a residential setting is telling me it was a setting change on the switch or the local computer. I have seen it where the Link speed auto setting gets confused during the layer 2 communication protocol of the OSI stack. 

I don't know the age, quality, history of your gear so I can only speculate. 

its VERY common for a post crash, (more so hard disk related) to have a slow boot time. 

Disk diag, or mobo/Hard disk, safe slow down.  Who knows? perhaps it was triggered to run a background SMART test. a background database check during the Driver loading Phase of the OS boot.   I don't know I was not there. 

..but again hardware, not software. 

If it were me Id replace the Hard-drive ASAP. 

Well this week's "update" screwed up my Outlook mailboxes!  Appears I was not the only fool that got fouled up.  It took me over 1 hour checking settings all the Outlook settings and then I had to fix W-10 to get everything back together.

Thanks Bill Gates.

• 5 months later...

It's no longer a request. If you want to keep 7 or 8, read this and act today. I used Never 10, since I'm not a IT guru and I like simplicity.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/05/23/windows-10-dirty-trick-hits-windows-7-and-windows-8-users/?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=partner&utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix&yptr=yahoo#6601ac0378b0