NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Windows 10...

Buccaneer

Have you installed it and do you like it?

Loaded it today on my laptop. Found MAJOR issue with new Edge browser, I can't login into my company remote server...Nice, must be a MS "Feature". Called our company tech support and they said, "yeah, Edge doesn't work". WTF?! OBTW, Firefox doesn't work either. I played with 10 for a while and finally got Firefox to login. Called our tech support and told them what they needed to do, they were happy that I found a work around or fix for Firefox.

Overall, it looks like a step up from Win7/8, but if you didn't like Win8 or 8.1 you won't like Win10 I guess, but maybe. At least they put a Start type button back like in Win7, but it does much more than the old Start button which is nice and I like that a lot. It also seems a bit faster even on my laptop. Still learning it, but I like it somewhat.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buccaneer

• az57chevy

• Bigfoot

• ChadC

I like it so far. Not using Edge and not logging into a work computer. Just a simple home desktop. Use Chrome otherwise.

Put it on both laptop and desktop. I like it. Not using Edge, but use both Chrome and Firefox and both work great. 10 is faster than the 7 I was using.   

Put it on both laptop and desktop. I like it. Not using Edge, but use both Chrome and Firefox and both work great. 10 is faster than the 7 I was using.   

Yep, Win10 is faster and like that. Also, since I only have only hours with 10 and needed to be up and running with my laptop for work, found that IE "IS" installed with 10 and it does "still" work for me to login to company server which after I found that this morning I WAS a happy camper. Still finding neat things about 10. BTW...IE11 will/is the last version to be supported by MS and will eventually be phased out and Edge will be the new browser.

Glad you discovered that IE is still installed with Win 10 :thumbs

I've been using various flavors of the preview for quite sometime (we're a MS development shop, MSDN subscriptions).....this is the first MS O/S that I've been satisfied with in sometime. Win 10 Pro installed on several laptops, with upgraded SSD's installed, very fast and stable. We probably will not see this version in the corpororate world for quite sometime, but it will be used in my household going forward

Wish they didn't throw the Media Center stuff out the windows :(.

Just to prove how non-techno I am I will now ask a stupid question, feel free to publicly mock me if you so desire:

Can an older laptop with .............Vista (stop laughing)...... be converted to Win 10 without having to hire someone to debug the whole process?

Just to prove how non-techno I am I will now ask a stupid question, feel free to publicly mock me if you so desire:

Can an older laptop with .............Vista (stop laughing)...... be converted to Win 10 without having to hire someone to debug the whole process?

Only systems running Win 7 or newer can get the free upgrade. There's a tool which can be run on your system to see if the hardware is up to snuff if you choose to buy a retail copy of Win 10, but honestly it's probably in your best interest to replace the system as a whole.

I've been waiting to download this so others can give their experience with it. You say the media editing part is gone??? So there's nothing there and I will have to go with my 3rd party software for video and picture editing?

Media Center....the piece that acts as a media hub for a home theater. Media editing features should still be there, but I personally use 3rd party apps for that.

Only systems running Win 7 or newer can get the free upgrade. There's a tool which can be run on your system to see if the hardware is up to snuff if you choose to buy a retail copy of Win 10, but honestly it's probably in your best interest to replace the system as a whole.

^^^THIS^^^

A friend of mine gave me a laptop last week. It originally had Vista but had been upgraded to 7. Today I did the 10 upgrade and it seems to work better than the 7 did.

What if you have Bob?  :cone

LMFAO! I don't think there are many who remembers BoB. MS BoB was a huge disaster for MS and I don't think they will actually admit that they put that out or at least would like to forget it. When I was working at the NOC in the military we loaded BoB on a a drive and slipped into a guys machine while he was at lunch, the outcome was absolutely HILARIOUS!. Hey Vic, where you coding for BoB back then? Knock knock!  :bolt:

See I thought that reference was about BadBob and this thread was about to get really weird

LMFAO! I don't think there are many who remembers BoB. MS BoB was a huge disaster for MS and I don't think they will actually admit that they put that out or at least would like to forget it. When I was working at the NOC in the military we loaded BoB on a a drive and slipped into a guys machine while he was at lunch, the outcome was absolutely HILARIOUS!. Hey Vic, where you coding for BoB back then? Knock knock!  :bolt:

I'm older than I look!  I used a slide ruler and envied an HP calculator!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, been running it for a couple weeks now and even though I hate to admit it, this works pretty good and actually like it. Did I just say that about a MS product? (smack my mouth) Maybe MS finally hired good coders? LMAO

When are they going to start charging customers a monthly fee for their cloud based OS?

MS motto..."You will be absorbed"

Being on iPads the last couple of years. I didn't know they were up to 10 already 

the last good one I had was win95. If 10 Is up to snuff I may need to get back into a puter. 

Just did my upgrade. So far so good.

I think you'll like it Joe. DAMN! I said it again, I'll have to watch what I say about MS. :)