NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Windows 10...

Buccaneer

When are they going to start charging customers a monthly fee for their cloud based OS?

MS motto..."You will be absorbed"

I guess I'll resist until they finally kill off Win 7.  Hopefully that will be awhile as the businesses hold out

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buccaneer

• az57chevy

• Bigfoot

• ChadC

When are they going to start charging customers a monthly fee for their cloud based OS?

I guess I'll resist until they finally kill off Win 7.  Hopefully that will be awhile as the businesses hold out

Why wait it's free if your OS is legit, if you like Win7, you'll like Win10 probably more. Just make sure you are fully updated before the upgrade.

Why wait it's free if your OS is legit, if you like Win7, you'll like Win10 probably more. Just make sure you are fully updated before the upgrade.

Not interested in falling for their cloud based OS.  Eventually there will be a monthly "fee" to use it.  Give it away free and get everyone hooked. 

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-may-be-the-last-piece-of-microsofts-cloud-puzzle/

I guess I'll resist until they finally kill off Win 7.  Hopefully that will be awhile as the businesses hold out (Mainstream support [major service packs] ended on  Jan 13, 2015, Extended support [bugs, patches, Security fixes] ends on Jan 14, 2020)

Not interested in falling for their cloud based OS.  Eventually there will be a monthly "fee" to use it.  Give it away free and get everyone hooked. 

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-may-be-the-last-piece-of-microsofts-cloud-puzzle/

there is not a Cloud/monthly fee based Operating system out there.

Individual applications or LOB software yes, but not Operating System. 

That article is almost a year old before pricing was announced by Microsoft...please remove your tinfoil-hat

Microsoft is following in the Apple footsteps of creating a single OS, and then adding reversions to it.  

-each reversion will have some improvement, but will NOT require a typical Format/Reinstall like in the past.

- each apps/software will only work with a set range of revisions 

-each reversion will have a hardware limit. if you hardware is not up to snuff, you cant upgrade.

-each revision may have a small nominal fee (Microsoft Store/ App Store).

This revision approach Microsoft wants to benefit the business/enterprise;

- less format/reinstall of the desktop fleet

- smaller upgrade fee's  (average home user does not know the Microsoft Volume Licensing for the corporate is NOT cheap) 

-access to the BILLIONS of workplace Desktops out there. 

I have Windows 7 home edition up to date but the Windows 10 icon never will show up :(

Do you have automatic update enabled?

Pretty much the same as Chad said. It's worth the upgrade, give it a try. And...please remove your tinfoil-hat or at least put vent holes in it. :thumbs:)

I have Windows 7 home edition up to date but the Windows 10 icon never will show up :(

Do you have automatic update enabled?

Yes enabled and all up to date.  Apparently there are some hacks to force it that I'll try

http://www.druva.com/blog/what-microsoft-wont-tell-you-about-office-365-subscription-plans/

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/04/01/subscription-model.aspx

Here is a supporting argument for your side that says all is good

http://www.howtogeek.com/220957/no-windows-10-won’t-require-a-subscription-heres-how-microsoft-plans-on-making-money-instead/

Of course no one outside of MS management knows for sure what they will do in the future,  and I'm not one of those apple nuts, I worked directly for the wintel empire for 18 years.  But hey what do I know, and I got until Jun 2016 (freebies expire) to figure it out anyways.

I cant tell what of your post is Toung n'cheek or serious. 

your first 2 links repeat the same thing " a cloud/monthly fee service is not perfect and has limitations. "

yes, the primary factor is ROI mark.  What the business/client wants to do. 

your second link, still says nothing about a monthly fee for the Operating System.

apps, skype, Office, software, LOB software, yes but not the Operating system.

Apple has been doing this for a while and while only having 2.3% market share has a SHIT TON of cash.

if Microsoft can duplicate this on the 74% market-share they have... foggette-aobut-it

I haven't followed this topic 100% so forgive me if this is a duplicate.  At a recent fraud seminar a computer security "expert" made the following suggestions. 

Double check your security software (anti-virus, firewall, etc) are still working. There are several reports of the installation disabling the software if it is not compatible with Windows 10.
-Disable the webcam log in, called Windows Hello. When enabled, the camera is on all the time (even if the light isn't on).
-Windows 10 may share your wifi networks and passwords with friends on social media. Double check these settings after install.
-Know that Windows 10 receives updates automatically in the background, these updates may 'reset' your settings to the default. So they recommend double checking your settings regularly.

I haven't followed this topic 100% so forgive me if this is a duplicate.  At a recent fraud seminar a computer security "expert" made the following suggestions. 

Double check your security software (anti-virus, firewall, etc) are still working. There are several reports of the installation disabling the software if it is not compatible with Windows 10.
-Disable the webcam log in, called Windows Hello. When enabled, the camera is on all the time (even if the light isn't on).
-Windows 10 may share your wifi networks and passwords with friends on social media. Double check these settings after install.
-Know that Windows 10 receives updates automatically in the background, these updates may 'reset' your settings to the default. So they recommend double checking your settings regularly.

Thanks Eddie, nice to know...and I please read the automatic setup when the install starts. I did not like what MS wanted to send back to the Mothership, so I turned it all off, but you never know how much is actually going back in the background.

-Disable the webcam log in, called Windows Hello. When enabled, the camera is on all the time (even if the light isn't on). (put tape on it. simple fix)
-Windows 10 may share your wifi networks and passwords with friends on social media. Double check these settings after install.( its called Wi-Fi sence and is ON by default on express settings)
-Know that Windows 10 receives updates automatically in the background, these updates may 'reset' your settings to the default. So they recommend double checking your settings regularly. (this only happens on Win 10 Home, not Pro/Enterprise) 

• 4 weeks later...

Oh Noooooo.....Microsoft Edge has stopped working / loading.  Looks like a lot of people have had this issue when I research it.

• 1 month later...

OK boyz and girls, having any issues with Win10 yet? I was really diggin' it until yesterday night. There is an issue with the START button and Notifications just stopping working for no apparent reason and yesterday was my random day for that not working issue to raise its ugly head.

There are a few suggested fixes out there and going through Task Manager to fix it, but not sure if they are any good yet since I haven't tried them. If this happens to you you will have to hit ALT + F4 to close Windows down or restart. Also, you may not be able to right click on anything and have it work. All my apps seem to work fine and will play with my laptop today at work to see if I can fix it. If anyone has a no shit fix that works, post it up and save me the AZZPAIN, thanks. That is all.

Welcome to Windows 10. This problem has occurred twice to me now. It seems to happen after an automatic update. I cant remember the actual fix. I always have to goole the fix to find it. Plenty of other people are having this same issue.

Welcome to Windows 10. This problem has occurred twice to me now. It seems to happen after an automatic update. I cant remember the actual fix. I always have to goole the fix to find it. Plenty of other people are having this same issue.

Yeah, this is sucking badly. I've tried five different fixes with no success so far, NOT IMPRESSED. If you happen to find the one you used, let me know Joe, I may have tried it already with no success. Trying another one right now.

Have success...kind of. I tried all the suggestions to get the Start menu back with no success. however, I finally tried creating a new admin user and everything now works. Wondering if I log back in as my old admin it will work again? This is BS on MS. I saw that MS was going to put out a major update soon that is supposed to take care of this issue and others. I couldn't print any longer last night as well even after uninstalling and re-installing drivers. Maybe it will work with this user? The joys of using a MS product. So anyway, this method worked for me by creating a new user (admin). Good luck if you have this issue.

I'm still waiting for them to put the gun to my head and force me to comply. Hopefully the glitches get worked out

This what I found worked for me......

1. Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard.
  2. Key in PowerShell and hit Enter.
  3. Right click on the PowerShell icon on the taskbar and select Run as Administrator.
  4. Now paste the following command in the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window and press Enter key:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
  5. Wait for PowerShell to execute and complete the command. Ignore the few errors (in red color) that may pop up.
  6. When it finishes, try hitting Start and hopefully it’ll start working.

Thanks Joe, it finally worked after running it several times. I did not find that procedure today.

I'm still waiting for them to put the gun to my head and force me to comply. Hopefully the glitches get worked out

agreed.  Purposely bought a Windows 7 laptop last Christmas, and I'll stay there until forced to update.