C4in mesa

A new engine, from a dealer - compete with valve covers - can be found for about $4500, and there are options cheaper than that. Been there, done that...on all of the aforementioned! Intake leaks are another notorious problem. These cars are hard on the wallet, but when you have to make repairs - make improvements when possible and there are a lot of gear heads out there that put these L-98 engines in their hot rods...there must be good reasons! Hang in there - I have gotten a lot of help from this bunch wrenching on my car, and learned a lot in the process. And, when things looked bleakest, places like Classic Gold and LPM got me back on the road.

(EDIT: Sorry, I should include Doug Bromley as he has done some great work for me in the past - all three, are on your side of town)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• C4in mesa

• Shifty

• Cross

• Desertdawg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At this point I am gonna save the cash to pull the engine. If anymore bolts break off then it will have to come out. But if all goes well and the header comes off then I will have it welded. The depth and placement of the hole should not be too hard for a guy who makes his living doing just that. I hope anyway. Your advice on the bolts is noted. I have plenty of time to get my ducks in a row. I will be at the Pavillions Saturday. Just listen for the car goes tick tick tick tick tick tick tick.

A new engine, from a dealer - compete with valve covers - can be found for about $4500, and there are options cheaper than that. Been there, done that...on all of the aforementioned! Intake leaks are another notorious problem. These cars are hard on the wallet, but when you have to make repairs - make improvements when possible and there are a lot of gear heads out there that put these L-98 engines in their hot rods...there must be good reasons! Hang in there - I have gotten a lot of help from this bunch wrenching on my car, and learned a lot in the process. And, when things looked bleakest, places like Classic Gold and LPM got me back on the road.

If this car had a $10,000 paint job I might entertain the idea of spending $4,500 on a new motor. But I just dropped $7,000 and got less than 6,000 miles out of it.

Bromley's Corvettes

I hear you about dumping a lot into a C-4. I have a customers 85 at my shop right now he has over 20k into it lol. He had a shop put a new engine in and it looks like they just dropped it in never worked on a vette be four. They did not label the vacuum lines or hoses or wires so everything is a mess. He kept taking it back and they kept charging him more and more and never fixed anything. He took it to another shop again not a vette shop and same thing they charged to replace the same parts and do the same tests when the vac lines where all messed up the whole time. I got it running way better just by running the vac lines right so all the money he spent was just a waist.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally took the car to my NEW mechanic. The old mechanic is the guy who fucked up by not putting the correct bolts on before installing the engine in the car. He won't take respobsibility for it. I can't even get hey man I'm sorry. Anyway this guy drilled out the hole 10mm. From 3/8ths. The hole is fixed ! He fired it up and like I told him the gasket needs replaced. Now the evap box has to come off in order to get the header off enough to change the gasket. It is no easy quick fix.

Really sorry to hear there's retards out there that won't do the job right, when I had my C3 there was a running joke in that crowd whenever someone found this kind of repair on the car they just bought, it was always assumed that Bubba did the work.... of course nothing was done correctly

I had wanted to put header tape over the headers but after I bought the spark plug boots figured there was no need. Well Mark suggested otherwise. He cleaned out my evaporator and replaced another part but I don't remember what its called ? Anyway so far excellent quality work. I am very happy with his work so far.

post-2306-0-04581200-1381458496_thumb.jp

post-2306-0-80109100-1381458559_thumb.jp

post-2306-0-81846600-1381458620_thumb.jp

I had wanted to put header tape over the headers but after I bought the spark plug boots figured there was no need. Well Mark suggested otherwise. He cleaned out my evaporator and replaced another part but I don't remember what its called ? Anyway so far excellent quality work. I am very happy with his work so far.

Looking at the pic's my guess would be the dipstick tube! :tontopallus:

Glad your getting some progress in the right direction - looks like you'll be back on the road soon.

I've been following your journey...glad it's getting better! hopefully we'll see you at an event soon!

Marco I went and picked up my car after work. Mark went through my ENTIRE A/C system and replaced any bad O-ring he found. He cleaned up my evaporator after 25 years of debris. I will fix the screen by the windshield myself. Charged my system and made sure everything checks out. Very cold air ! My exhaust leak is fixed ! He wrapped my headers with heat resistant tape and made sure the ignition wires were out of harms way. I had little boots on each spark plug but he suggests the tape or wrap. I drove my car home and no tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick!!! Just tires ripping the street. Mark is letting me pay the balance over the next couple weeks. Beyond cool. When is the next A.C.E. event you are going too ?