• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigfoot

• Desertdawg

• LastC3

• MOTV8

just a little insite from our experience with the converter issue .... had a 3600 ( I believe) put in the coupe w couple of years ago ... for normal street driving, not too bad ... kicked up the "R's" a bit to get it moving (Jackie didn't like it around town at all) .,... when messin around a bit ... it would launch like a banchy !!! Loved that part. did drop mph a bit on the hiway, but not all that noticeable .... in town Mph 2 or 3 mph loss .... Unfortunately, due to a not so good install (I'm guessing here), bolts found their way out destroying the converter (pretty good chunk of change out the window) ... went back to OEM .... not a good choice .... somewhere in between would have been most excellent .....

Food for thought Sean if you plan on changing it out ;..... but if bucks are short, not certain why you would ...... #justsayin

Food for thought Sean if you plan on changing it out ;..... but if bucks are short, not certain why you would ...... #justsayin

Looking into ordering a trans and doing the swap that way to save some bucks. Builder includes a converter with it...so no extra bucks being spent.

Ok, here are the choices I get with the trans. 1600, 1800, 2000, 2200 or 2400. I haven't been to the drag strip in quite a while and hell, there's not one to go to it seems anymore. I want the best balance I can get between all driving. If one type of driving has to suffer, I'd want it to be the strip, then track, with streetability the most important. Which would be best? Some day I want to cam the car, but that is a long time away.

IMHO, given your current situation (and I've been there before) a used trans would be my first choice. It'd be a one day swap and you'd be rolling again for a lot less money.

If a rebuilt is a requirement, I'd stick with the stock converter (1600 I assume) which will give you the best mileage. If things change down the road where you are ready to do a cam for more performance/fun, then you can revisit the converter or consider selling and moving up to a C6.

Thanks for all the offers for help, but I've decided to let the pros handle it. I'm too tired to try and deal with the whole R&R and with some finagling, it's cost effective this way. Trans is ordered and being shipped as soon as its ready (cost of a rebuilt one is better than cost of rebuilding current one). It will have a billet 13 vane pump, billet servo, stage 2 shift kit, 9 disc clutch pack for 3/4 and 2000 stall converter. That's about all I know. It comes highly recommended.

from ?????

if you need a ride to the shop .... give lightning towing a call .... tell em I sent ya .... mite save ya a couple of bucks ..... they do stuff for us almost weekly ... and know how to handle the most discriminate of cars ............ #anothershamelessplug ...... 602-978-3422 Melissa will take care of ya !!!

and good luck with the project .... always exciting getting new stuff for these sooooo bad a$$ C5s !!!!

Grape Ape

But your numbers matching car won't be anymore........... :snky:

Hal, thanks...I'll definitely check into them. I know I don't want to try and go that far in just second gear but need to figure out how to pay for that as well.

Ok, here's the rest of the stroy.

I'm using LPM and one of their vendors to get the job done. Suffice it to say both parties are helping me out or I could not begin to even think about getting the job done now. But I'm getting a loan from my folks and I have some prize money coming from one of my bowling leagues to help offset the cost. I'll pay my folks back as quick as I can but at least its interest free from them.

Trans should ship any day now and I'll :xfinger that she can be back on the road by the 17th of May...depending on how long shipping takes. LPM estimates one day once the trans arrives.

Matching numbers???? Pffft :lol

Right on Sean, just glad to hear the vette will back on the road for you.

:ACE:

:yeah: I know the guys at LPM will take good care ..... and do a good job !!!!

Right Dave ??? :Dave::lol:cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Transmission is on a truck and should be here Thursday. LPM has her on the schedule for the following Monday...so I'll get her towed down there on Thursday or Friday depending on my schedule. I want back in my car so bad it's not even funny.

Desertdawg

I know how you feel, we were missing ours the first week it was at Classic..... At least yours will only be there for a couple of days...

I know how you feel, we were missing ours the first week it was at Classic..... At least yours will only be there for a couple of days...

But it's been a couple weeks now since I've been able to drive it. :banghead Doesn't matter where it's at if she's just sitting. :(

Desertdawg

I hear ya, hope it all goes good and you get her on the road again real soon...

Holy poopie.

First estimate for towing was approximately $217!!!!

Anyone else know someone???

I have mixed emotions. She just left on a flatbed. Sad having to see her go that way...but excited that I'll have her back next week. :3gears:

Do I need to do a smoky burnout when she leaves like the one I saw on FaceBook? :lol

Do I need to do a smoky burnout when she leaves like the one I saw on FaceBook? :lol

Really.......you had to ask ???? LOL

Really.......you had to ask ???? LOL
You going to buy the tires? :lol