• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigfoot

• Desertdawg

• LastC3

• MOTV8

I'll take any help I can get as I've never pulled one before...and saving the labor cost will help me move on this sooner. I'll plan it out to have a lot of things done in stages. The things I can get done on my own will be out and will just need help with the big stuff. But we'll see how it goes. I may put her up on jacks this week and see what it looks like and try to set something up within the next 2 weeks. Thanks upfront for any assist you guys can give.

like tim if the timing is right Ill be there with tools and a helping hand.

Likewise for sure.

I think I committed earlier but I'll be there if at all possible!

I've been going through my service manuals. It's a daunting task and not sure if its a good option in my garage. I'll continue to research, but I'm skeptical.

You are much braver then I am. I watched my tranny shop work on my C4 and saw what they had to go through to get the job done. When I got it back one of the seals towards the rear apparently was not installed perfectly and started leaking. Back to the shop, up on the rack and a couple of hours more work just to replace that seal. If you do decide to try it yourself I'll also come if the timing is right. I won't be much help, but at least I can point while pics are being taken.

All in all it's not that hard to pull the trans. Just do it piece by piece. Pull the shifter, drop the exhaust and chassis brace, pull the rear suspension and K member, pull the diff (also a good time to do a 3.42 diff), then the trans. I've never pulled an auto in a Vette, but it can't be that different from a manual. If you have a FAST intake you'll want to pull that off too way back at step one or two...

I would totally offer to help you if I were 100 miles closer.

Azmotorhead

If you're on the west side we can get it up on my lift. I have a trans jack to make it easier.

If you need time to do the job,bring a cover and I can keep the car here.

I also have a trailer and can help you with the haul.

If you're on the west side we can get it up on my lift. I have a trans jack to make it easier.

Wow! Great offer. :thumbs

I was expecting to be helping while on my back on the garage floor.

Azmotorhead

Wow! Great offer. :thumbs

I was expecting to be helping while on my back on the garage floor.

We're all getting too old for that.

Holy crap, that is one helluva an offer dude...trying to do this on my garage floor was one of my worries.

How much time will this take for removal and install?

On top of that, I haven't decided what converter to put in. I haven't been to the drag strip in a few years now. I want one that would be good all around, strip, street and track. What would be a good balance with all of that? Not necessarily in that order.

If its on a weekend and I'm not working I'm in, I've been in the mix on a C5 clutch

WOW !!!!!! Phil is DA MAN !!!!!!!

What a gracious offer :thumbs

Azmotorhead

Not sure on the time to R& R. I figure maybe 3-4hrs each way??

Questions on Converter and such would best be answered by those that are more familiar.

In my 96 Impala I had a 3200 stall with 3.73 gears. It took a little more RPM to get it going off the line but

it helped keep the engine up in its powerband.

If someone here has the same car as you maybe they could put your VSS in their car to make sure that

it's not the bad part causing your trouble.

No sense dropping a trans if its not necessary

Well shoot, I'm on the wrong side of the tracks again. For both helping and using my trans as a guinea pig. :facepalm:

I seriously doubt it's the VSS. It's just slipping like crazy in 3 and 4. It shifts up but just spins. Trans fluid temps get really high. Once it's back in 2nd, trans fluid temps come back down. Can you say slip causing friction heat build up? :lol

Holy crap, that is one helluva an offer dude...trying to do this on my garage floor was one of my worries.

How much time will this take for removal and install?

On top of that, I haven't decided what converter to put in. I haven't been to the drag strip in a few years now. I want one that would be good all around, strip, street and track. What would be a good balance with all of that? Not necessarily in that order.

If you expect to retain the current gas mileage and cash in the wallet, don't change the converter.

Sean,

I used the GM truck converter which raised the stall 3 to 4000 rpm, it was like 2300 stall, I also went from the 2,73 to a 3.42 at the same time in my C5, I lost about 2 to 3 mpg, gained .10 to .15 at the track and it drove like it was stock.

Dean Should have some good input.

... which raised the stall 3 to 4000 rpm.

Damn....no wonder why GM trucks are soooo fast from a dig :)

joe@cpr.com

A circle d converter would be perfect for you. Great drivability and their street series won't break the bank

I'm going to stay with the rear end ratio of I got (3:15). I'm happy with what it does and keeps the RPM's a little lower on the highway than the 3:42. If I had the 2:73, I'd probably do a swap.

I was talking to a guy last night and he recommended a 1500 converter instead of the 1200 stock one. I'm not overly concerned with drag race times. I like the turns better than the straight line stuff, but would still like input on that level would be good. If it's stock, then I stay with stock, if it's higher then I want the best balance.