Trans Trouble

Bigfoot

Car won't shift into 3rd or 4th gear on my '99 A4. And I'm 20+ miles from home. What could it be. No warning...just started and got worse as I went. Don't even know if I'll make it home tonight.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigfoot

• Desertdawg

• LastC3

• MOTV8

That's a bit far to go in her current conditiion without a tow. I will certainly check fluids though.

Did you make it home? Not to make light of the situation, but there is an epic typo on your first post. I think you should leave it...

Yeah, I made it home. Took over 45 minutes going about 35-37 in second gear the whole way. Typo was done from my phone. :banghead A little more info. Runs fine in first and most of second. Higher RPM seems to slip in second. If I put it in 3rd or 4th I believe it is shifting, but is just slipping. When I had it in 3/4 earlier trans fluid temps got all the way up to 240. On the way home keeping it in second it never went over 201 in over 20 miles. I think this is going to be expensive and she is going to be parked for quite a while til I can find funds to get it fixed. :(

Car won't shit into 3rd or 4th gear on my '99 A4

Yeah, that was worth leaving... :lol

I hope Sean made it home ok, and it's not something serious.....

edit... reloading would have been smart!

I just remembered .... our Rdstr had an issue very much like this that turned out to be the VSS sensor I believe ... and it didn't throw any codes .....

Bands are done IMO. Top gear can rebuild it easily for you. Good time to think about a stall BTW.

Damn Dean, mine is at 77k right now.

Bingo. Another lesson in 'planned obsolescence' from GM.

I agree with Drew about the bands, ...and the converter. Time to wake that car up....

cost is relative, how much did you spend for makeup and cloths for the females in your house?

I say a supercharger will not hurt the tranny repair bill while your at it!!! :lol

What is that going to cost??? I'm severely broke right now.

Went back and checked my receipts.

This will hurt....but my RPM level V trannie was $2050, and my Yank was $795. I also have a B&M trans cooler cuz thats how I roll.

But I would purchase the exact same combo today if I was in your situation. Best mods I've made to the car.

I think Sean put in a built trans and stall in my wife's C5 for around $2k. He can build it to any level you need but you don't need a 800rwhp capable trans.

One phone call and you'll have the answer.

Ouch, at $2k she'll be sitting for quite a while. I'm not even a third of the way through my dental work. Oh and Dawg, we only buy the essentials here. No frivolous stuff that you're talking about.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the VSS issue will chime in ... but when ours went south, I too thought the tranny was toast .... I do know when that sensor goes .... the computer doesn't know what to tell the tranny to do .... so it just goes wack .... yes ... slipping, incorrect gear selection, etc. Ours too just would do 1st and 2nd ..... that's what reminded me .....

The guys may be right on with the tranny build ..... but knowing a quick and easy button could be available, it might be worth a phone call to Sean to visit that possibility ..... #justsayin

• 2 weeks later...

Been trying to get some quotes on getting this fixed. Was hoping for the west side to avoid getting it towed. But after a conversation today, she will 99% likely be going east for repairs. Guy I know on the west side gave me a quote and I about fell out of my chair. I will post details once the decision is made...hopefully by Tuesday. :xfinger My mom will loan me whatever money I cannot come up with, but I've got to figure out a monthly amount I can pay her back on.

How much could you save if some of us came over and removed it? You've got a truck to haul it to the repair facility. I've never done one but I know there are guys here that have and I know which end of a wrench to point at the car.

I think the labor cost is not too bad considering the amount of work required to pull the trans Eddie, plus it would need two days separated by at least a week. I'm not sure it would be worth that much effort. Not a bad idea, but I'm not sure I'd want to tackle it like that.

Damnit Eddie. All I've been doing now is thinking about doing this myself now. :banghead At least the R&R part that is. Time to get the service manuals out and start studying.

If the timing is right...meaning if I'm not where I'm at today, I will be there as well!