NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Mirror Drip

Desertdawg

I know everyone has suffered this problem, that dreaded little drip from the mirror base 12 hours after you washed your Corvette... :ack Please post up your fix, and no I don't have compressed air...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Desertdawg

• TheCMSH

• Ted Y

• Blk n Blu

I know everyone has suffered this problem, that dreaded little drip from the mirror base 12 hours after you washed your Corvette... :ack

Please post up your fix, and no I don't have compressed air...

Time for a re-paint. May I suggest red!!! :smilelol

The problem exists on both the C5's and C6's. The base and mirror are two separate pieces. No amount of blowing air into the mirror or base will eliminate all the water to prevent drips. The only thing I have seen that might work was shown to me by HOXXOH. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! If you take off the interior door panel and remove the bolts holding the mirror base, you can drill a small hole just above where the mirror base attaches to the door. This will allow pooled water inside the base to drain to the inside of the door panel and not leak down the outside of the door. This way the hole will not be visible when the mirror base is reattached. I'll let one of our mechanic types say if that small amount of water inside the door is harmful. I can't imagine it's any different than the water that gets past the window seal and into the door. Same thing with the tail lights. If you remove the tail lights and drill a small hole at the bottom that is not visible when the lights are reinstalled, you will not get drips after a washing.

I was afraid it was going to be drilling.... :eek I'll keep it in mind as a last resort, any other ideas?

I fold the mirror forward when I wash the car so most of the water drains out, and then after drying I take a micro fiber towel and tie it around the base of the mirror stalk where it meets the door. The next morning or later when I go somewhere, just take the towel off and go...

Does the drip come from the mirror housing or the base? I thought the covers only covered the mirror...

I use my high dollar Master Blaster car dryer for the tailights, mirrors, door jams, marker lights and mirrors; it removes about 99.8275% of the water.

I use my leaf blower to expel water from unwanted places.

Cheap and effective.

Me too but I still get a stray drip or two running down the side 10 minutes later.

YOU GUYS USE WATER ON YOUR CARS? For shame........... :ack:willy:jd

Gotta admit it,I have not washed the blue beast since I've had it.

1) don't be such a drip

2) don't be so damn picky

3) don't wash the car

come on now .... just as good as some of the above .... ya gotta admit !!!!

I just keep a small towel in the towel compartment in the trunk for just such occasion ..... #justsayin Posted Image

oh yeah .... almost forgot ..... drillin a hole in that branda new paint job would likely need a least a six pack of courage !!!

Drive a solemn course down your street and back, get out and wipe off the drips. DONE!

I'm generally very happy when I drive my car Mr. Danny Downer!!!

Auto-correct FAIL!!!!!!

Drive a solemn course down your street and back, get out and wipe off the drips. DONE!

Auto-correct FAIL!!!!!!

Damnit! But that's kinda funny... Since he's whining about drips. :)

Auto-correct FAIL!!!!!!

Damnit! But that's kinda funny... Since he's whining about drips. :)

No soup for you!!!

Go down the ladies section at the store and get yourself a box of them things with the sticky on them and place them on that whereas hour car is dripping. No need for the sented kind.

Go down the ladies section at the store and get yourself a box of them things with the sticky on them and place them on that whereas hour car is dripping. No need for the sented kind.

Or steal Jammie's...