NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

What would you do to HOXXOH's floor plan

Marco

about the worst laid out floor plan, could you be more vague? do you know what the motives are for the way it's laid out? if not, then

STFU

ok

-you open the front door and you stare at a wall across the living room.

Move the sliding door 8 feet over so you look thru the living room, to the back yard to see the backyard.

this effect creates a Great Room feel and will add to resale and Spacious feel.

What YOU see when entering my front door doesn't mean crap to me. I'm living there till I die, so I don't care one whit about resale. I'm building the house for my wife and I, not anyone else. Everything is handicap/wheelchair/and gurney accessable in case that becomes a future issue.

-ask the owner "have you ever lived in a home where you have to drive into your back yard and turn your card around 180* just to park.

....every day

... twice a day

It's a 1+ acre lot with equal access to the front and rear with no need to turn for garage entrance, but yes I have lived in two different houses with rear entrance garages.

you loose TONS of backyard space to a concrete pad, AND in a matter of days there will be Black Tire marks all over it.

it will look like shit when you have company over.

How do you lose backyard space on a 1+ acre lot. :facepalm: I'll have so much left over I can rent it out for storage and that's in the plan too. No plain white concrete pad to get tire marks. Company may, or may not, include you. :edward:

you are making a RV over sized garage door (used for an RV storage or not is not relevant) and by a large lot size have a Second Door to make the RV a Drive Thru. Then its easier to park a boat or RV in the future.

I have absolutely no desire for either a boat or RV. The "workshop" converts to a totally independent 1 bedroom apartment for the live-in caregiver when I'm no longer capable of taking care of myself. Simply adding two non-supporting walls, a dropped ceiling, floor covering, and appliances, after removing the lift and associated benches and equipment.

there are 3 things I saw in the first 60 seconds.

Take a longer look, now that you know what you're really looking at, rather than what you think is required. I'm still open to suggestions, but they need to fit my lifestyle from age 72 until I die.

imagine what a professional could find in 10 min.

Yea Chad :neener_neener:gurney accessable :lol

Hell yes. That's so the ambulance can back up to the garage and take the gurney directly into the bedroom. One of us will die during sex or maybe both if we're lucky. :lol

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marco

• HOXXOH

• Desertdawg

• JLs Mistress

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hell yes. That's so the ambulance can back up to the garage and take the gurney directly into the bedroom. One of us will die during sex or maybe both if we're lucky. :lol " Depends if you are both home at the time :partydance:

"Hell yes. That's so the ambulance can back up to the garage and take the gurney directly into the bedroom. One of us will die during sex or maybe both if we're lucky. :lol "

Depends if you are both home at the time :partydance:

It could also be the live-in caregiver or who's with him/her.

"Hell yes. That's so the ambulance can back up to the garage and take the gurney directly into the bedroom. One of us will die during sex or maybe both if we're lucky. :lol "

Doesn't hurt to keep your hopes up .....

Or BOTH

What YOU see when entering my front door doesn't mean crap to me.

riiiigh.....

Its called first impressions.

Go take the next 2 weekends and walk thru 50 model homes and you will see what im talking about.

I'm living there till I die, so I don't care one whit about resale.

That right there tells me everything I need to know.

Build the house for what you want, but be mindful if the $$ investment, and resale capability as your investment. Other wise you are pissing away money.... but that is your right to do so.

You may not like my posts, but the moment you finish the construction it will already look dated.

riiiigh.....

Go take the next 2 weekends and walk thru 50 model homes and you will see what im talking about.

Build the house for what you want, but be mindful if the $ investment, and resale capability as your investment. Other wise you are pissing away money.... but that is your right to do so.

You may not like my posts, but the moment you finish the construction it will already look dated.

Everything is dated from the moment it's finished or turned on .....Whats the point of spending this much time on this post it's dated ...besides I like Tom's dream house ....:thumbs

riiiigh.....

Build the house for what you want, but be mindful if the $ investment, and resale capability as your investment. Other wise you are pissing away money.... but that is your right to do so.

Everything is dated from the moment it's finished or turned on .....Whats the point of spending this much time on this post it's dated ...besides I like Tom's dream house ....:thumbs

:agree:thumbs It is awesome

riiiigh.....

Build the house for what you want, but be mindful if the $$ investment, and resale capability as your investment. Other wise you are pissing away money.... but that is your right to do so.

What part of "I don't care one whit about resale" did you not understand? After I die in that house, it can burn to the ground or be sold for $1 and I'd never know. The $$ investment is for a place to live, not to make money.

Although, I've never seen your house, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't suit for what I want and need. We don't have the same lifestyle thankfully.

Dated is so overused it's beyond funny.

Then again, maybe dated has another meaning for you, as in an event that happened in the past and you're hoping for another one someday. :smilelol

riiiigh.....

What part of "I don't care one whit about resale" did you not understand? After I die in that house, it can burn to the ground or be sold for $1 and I'd never know. The $$ investment is for a place to live, not to make money.

Although, I've never seen your house, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't suit for what I want and need. We don't have the same lifestyle thankfully.

Dated is so overused it's beyond funny.

.. who said anything about making money?

I can tell you are getting very defensive about this and not open to public negative feedback. so Ill keep this short.

A home can be the the WORST investment for finical Gain on the planet.

it is designed for investment/asset to use and if necessary turn into cash.

I keep saying resale in the event you need to sell the house to turn it into cash/liquid.

You have an arrogance of "im going to die in this home!!".

... hate to tell ya you don't have a crystal ball and you don't know whats going to happen next year or the next 10 years.

God forbid.... you can end up being alone, and in a poor state of health that you are forced into a care facility. (please ...im not making an attack, just offering a real world hypothetical)

and by the Design of the house can mean it can take 6 years to sell because its dated or designed in an unusual non standard way.

meanwhile if you have a paid professional architect design it the resale could take 6 months.

thats my point.

but you are starting to make personal attacks on me so your defense is up and im assuming this post will not be heard.

I just don't get the dated part...Peeps with 8 ft clgs and 7 foot high windows must be hatin their dated homes then...this has 8 ft high windows and exterior doors plus 9 ft ceilings, garage being 12'...The rest of the finishes are of todays standard so as far as dated goes....I, I just don't know what your talking about.

wickedfastvette

I understand what Chad is trying to say as it is what I was thinking when I looked at the house (I have owned construction company and buy and sell houses after I fix them up) Other than the garage it seems really chopped up and doesn't flow, BUT as Tom stated that is what he wants and could care less about resale value, to each his own, but you do know if you post something on ACE expect feedback and you might not like it. Marco you asked why it looks dated, it looks dated to me because of the layout and looks like an older track home other than the large garage in the middle. But that is just my 2 cents and the only one that needs to be happy is Tom and his wife. :)

I just don't get the dated part...

Me either. I think he's still too young to understand how an older person views life and possessions.

The design concept is uniquely focused on living an active workshop style retirement that easily converts to end of life in-home care. Currently, no builder/developers offer that capability. Their thinking is that workshops are detached buildings or purpose built.

20 years ago, Medicare's solution was to stick ailing seniors in a common care facility. Recently, they've recognized and promoted home care as the prefered choice prior to hospice.

Developers attempt to put the largest number of houses per acre to maximize profits. Then even build vertical to squeeze more living space into smaller lots. It's a price war that even the banks joined by offering 40-year and other financing to create low monthly payments.

Retiring boomers are changing the perception that golf, fishing, and TV watching are the required options. I'm 5 years ahead of the boomer generation that will live longer and play harder than any before it. Any builder/developer who sees this concept as an opportunity for seniors to downsize without being forced into crackerboxes and eventual apartment assisted-living, will do quite well.

Think about living or retiring in an affordable community/development where all the neighbors had little workshops for their car, woodcraft, machining, welding, or other hobbies. Wouldn't that be a better place to live than where you live right now?

I understand what Chad is trying to say as it is what I was thinking when I looked at the house (I have owned construction company and buy and sell houses after I fix them up) Other than the garage it seems really chopped up and doesn't flow, BUT as Tom stated that is what he wants and could care less about resale value, to each his own, but you do know if you post something on ACE expect feedback and you might not like it.

Marco you asked why it looks dated, it looks dated to me because of the layout and looks like an older track home other than the large garage in the middle. But that is just my 2 cents and the only one that needs to be happy is Tom and his wife. :)

Now I'm curious as to what your idea is for a retirement home layout that isn't dated, chopped up, and whatever flow means. Please keep in mind the need to live in the house until death (handicap capable), an approximate 1700-1800 sq ft living area that includes a guest bedroom and individual man and woman caves, a large (~1000 sq ft) attached workshop, and private accommodations for a future live-in caregiver are the primary requirements. The lot has both front and rear full access.

The plans are in the early stages, so changes can still be made. This is not carved in stone, but any deviation needs to happen in the next 2-3 weeks.

Maybe Marc can post a dimensioned floorplan and you can post a rough sketch of your workable layout.

I know there will be a bunch of Ideas as everyone is different. There are so many plan variations, I think this is close to the final except for the window that's missing left of the smaller garage door.

Tom,

I'm not going to add to the bash here, if you really want my professional commentary I will give it to you. I know Marc is doing exactly what he's supposed to do, and that's exactly what YOU want. I deal with ADA and other assorted design issues everyday so I'm not just some dude off the street throwing around my opinion. My opinion, in short, you need to add square footage, this layout is not "gurney"/ADA/emergency response/caregiver friendly in my professional opionion

If you're open to input then great, I'll be happy to give you my evaluations and recommendations. If you merely going to defend the design as "this is what I want, this is the only way it's going to be" then I'm not even going to waste my time with it.

Bottom line, while Chad may have been blunt (perhaps a bit excessively) he was merely pointing out different ideas resulting from different thought processes. I can look at almost any design or walk into any space and tell you 50 different ways it could've been done. Does it make the original design wrong? Not really, but it does open up the mind to possibilities, if one is willing to entertain them.

Let me know....... :thumbs

Tom,

I'm not going to add to the bash here, if you really want my professional commentary I will give it to you. I know Marc is doing exactly what he's supposed to do, and that's exactly what YOU want. I deal with ADA and other assorted design issues everyday so I'm not just some dude off the street throwing around my opinion. My opinion, in short, you need to add square footage, this layout is not "gurney"/ADA/emergency response/caregiver friendly in my professional opionion

If you're open to input then great, I'll be happy to give you my evaluations and recommendations. If you merely going to defend the design as "this is what I want, this is the only way it's going to be" then I'm not even going to waste my time with it.

Bottom line, while Chad may have been blunt (perhaps a bit excessively) he was merely pointing out different ideas resulting from different thought processes. I can look at almost any design or walk into any space and tell you 50 different ways it could've been done. Does it make the original design wrong? Not really, but it does open up the mind to possibilities, if one is willing to entertain them.

Let me know....... :thumbs

Now that's how to respond Chad (enter smiley here) I'll just stand by and watch as this is for Tom, but like I said, all suggestions are welcome.

I wish I had photoshop right now...

Ok, I've had 4+ years of drafting and design (30 years ago) so my suggestions might be "dated" but here you go....

First off, bedrooms shouldn't be ajacent to kitchens or family bathrooms if possible due to noise thru the wall.

Someone sleeping in on Sunday morning doesnt need to hear Tom banging around in the kitchen making coffee, or Joyce in the master doesn't need to hear Chad relieving himself in the family bathroom.

Use the office and closets to seperate these rooms.

Now starting lower left

why are you creating protuding closet walls into a room, be aware the murphy bed may be removed.

why does the coat closet door open into the entry/exit pathway?

and that closet now creates a protuding wall into the office.

family bath wall adjacent to the master, no!

move the washer/dreyer off the master wall. noise!

Is that enough to get you thinking???

wickedfastvette

Ok, I've had 4+ years of drafting and design (30 years ago) so my suggestions might be "dated" but here you go....

First off, bedrooms shouldn't be ajacent to kitchens or family bathrooms if possible due to noise thru the wall.

Someone sleeping in on Sunday morning doesnt need to hear Tom banging around in the kitchen making coffee, or Joyce in the master doesn't need to hear Chad relieving himself in the family bathroom.

Now starting lower left

why are you creating protuding closet walls into a room, be aware the murphy bed may be removed.

All of what he said, that laundry next to the bedroom was driving me crazy.

Now starting lower left

why are you creating protuding closet walls into a room, be aware the murphy bed may be removed. actually, those closets are not really there, when drawing it I didn't click cabinet...it's all one wall unit

why does the coat closet door open into the entry/exit pathway? This could swing either way, it's a matter of preference but mostly you'll use it from the house side when grabbing a vacuum or whatever

and that closet now creates a protuding wall into the office. This was done intentionally as there is a desk unit that goes into the 6'5" area of the office

family bath wall adjacent to the master, no! this wall will be sound insulated but the area could be re-worked if this is a worry

move the washer/dreyer off the master wall. noise! I did think we could flip the W/D to the other side and move the door to the bedroom and the door to the laundry down. All water closet and laundry walls will be insulated.

:agree Plus look at where you have to place master bed. It'll be looking right into master bath. Think if one person is in bed & the other has to get up early to prepare for work. Light from Bath will be shining onto bed. Bedroom 1 10'x5' ?? right off hte kitchen? No put the laundry over there. Try to keep all plumbing on adjacent walls. Your design has plumbing all over the place. Added expense in material and distribution & flow troubles.