ALMS Pre-Season 2013 thread

Shifty

That's right. They got an invite to Le Mans but just for the GTE-AM class. Scott Sharp will race against teh Larbre vettes.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shifty

• MOTV8

• Desertdawg

• VenomOnWheels

Sebring announces entry list

Posted Image

For the 61st time in its history, a group of the world's best sports car manufacturers and teams are gearing up to tackle one of the toughest challenges in all of endurance racing. The Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida features a 42-car entry with a number of attention-grabbing storylines for the opening round of the 2013 American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón:

• A hybrid-powered racecar will race at Sebring for the first time. Audi brings two of its factory R18 e-tron quattro prototypes that feature reigning Le Mans 24 Hours winners Marcel Fassler and Benoit Treluyer in one car, and Tom Kristensen and Allan McNish – with 12 Sebring victories between them – in the other.

• The revolutionary DeltaWing will compete in P1 class. With half the weight, half the fuel and half the horsepower of a traditional prototype, the radical race car competes for the first time at the 12 Hours. The DeltaWing finished fifth overall at Petit Le Mans as an unclassified entry to close the 2012 season.

• The first tussle between Muscle Milk Pickett Racing, Dyson Racing and Rebellion Racing in P1. The three teams will vie for the 2013 class championship.

• Extreme Speed Motorsports' debut in P2 with a pair of Honda Performance Development ARX-03b prototypes. Level 5 Motorsports is the defending class and race champion, and is back at Sebring. Greaves Motorsport visits from Europe to challenge the American teams.

Posted Image

• A battle royal in GT. Twelve entries from six manufacturers dot the class entry including the racing debut of BMW Team RLL's two BMW Z4 GTE sports cars. SRT Motorsports marks Viper's Sebring return with two SRT Viper GTS-Rs – the first Viper factory entry at the 12 Hours since 2000.

• The first ALMS race for Tristan Nunez, the highly touted rookie for Performance Tech Motorsports in Prototype Challenge. Nunez won the 2012 Cooper Tires Prototype Lights L1 championship, was part of the Team USA Scholarship program, and won the Walter Hayes Trophy grand finale in November.

• Two high-profile entries into GT Challenge with Porsche 911 GT3 Cup cars – Flying Lizard Motorsports and Dempsey Del Piero Racing. Flying Lizard moves into the class with a championship-winning history in the ALMS' GT class. Dempsey Del Piero Racing – featuring team co-owner Patrick Dempsey – makes its debut at Sebring with a two-car lineup.

The 61st Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida is set for 10:45 a.m. ET on Saturday, March 16 from Sebring International Raceway. SPEED's live coverage begins at 10:30 a.m. ET.

The entire entry list is available: HERE :cfdeadagain

I tried to post that yesterday, but apparently I can't post in a thread I started, so I'll just wait until you do it for me....:thumbs

:willy WTF? But you just posted! You just can't post news blurbs? You better get that shit fixed, you gotta start up the o-ficial 2013 ALMS thread any day now...

I just can't post links, or cut and paste. :banghead

Don't you have a keyboard? I'll get warm fuzzies if you type it all out for us!

I'm looking into teh software upgrade, but I need to get thru taxes and BBQ's first so don't hold yer breath!

Two blurbs vadered today, Viper sets their driver line-up and teh DeltaWingamajig got chromed and someone made them tires! :facepalm:

LE MANS: SRT Finalizes Driver Lineups For ALMS, LM24

Posted Image

SRT Motorsports has finalized the driver lineups for its two factory Viper GTS-Rs in this year's American Le Mans Series and highly anticipated return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June.

Marc Goossens and Dominik Farnbacher have been tabbed for full-season driving duties in the No. 91 car, joined by Ryan Dalziel for Sebring, Le Mans and Petit Le Mans. The No. 93 Viper will be driven by Jonathan Bomarito and Kuno Wittmer for the entire ten-round ALMS season, with Tommy Kendall reinforcing the duo for the three major enduros.

Additionally, Kendall will serve as an extended team leader and brand ambassador for SRT.

“SRT Motorsports is truly one team with two cars,” said Beth Paretta, Director of Marketing and Operations, SRT Brand and Motorsports. “The changes we’ve made for 2013 better aligns the dynamics of each driver which we think will enhance the success of each car and the team overall.

"Our team chemistry is undeniable and is something we realized the first time we went to the track last year. We feel extremely confident that our drivers are matched well for their strengths which will provide the best results on the track.”

All six drivers are fresh off an encouraging test at Sebring last month and gear up for the car's debut in the ALMS season opener on March 16.

“While we were pleased with the progress of our program in the four races last year in preparation for a full season in 2013, the changes made in the off-season and the two test sessions this year have produced some significant results,” said Gary Johnson, Road Racing Manager, SRT Motorsports.

“The next step is to see how we stack up against the competition and the 12 Hours of Sebring certainly provides that kind of test by challenging both driver and machine for 12 grueling hours. Our two-car team returns to Sebring with a new level of optimism.”

-and-

ALMS: DeltaWing Livery Unveiled

Posted Image

Preparations continue for the DeltaWing's anticipated Twelve Hours of Sebring debut, with the Don Panoz-run operation unveiling the livery and tire partner for the new American Le Mans Series P1 class contender Monday.

Featuring a striking chrome paint scheme, confirmation came that the Elan-powered prototype will be shod by Bridgestone tires.

The latest developments comes on the heels of last week's announcement naming Olivier Pla and Andy Meyrick as drivers for next weekend's ALMS season opener.

“It just ties into the DeltaWing being such a unique, revolutionary car,” said Panoz of the livery. “I wanted something that represented that image. A shining, aggressive metal was what I thought of, and that was the chrome.

“I think this became apparent once we would be using Bridgestone tires. The only color they have outside of black is red. We wanted to keep it consistent. Before deciding on the chrome, I looked at brilliant reds or brilliant greens. We decided the chrome was the thing to keep it in line with Bridgestone and their colors.”

The DeltaWing is scheduled to test this Wednesday and Thursday at Road Atlanta before heading down to Sebring for additional track time on the famed airfield circuit before the start of official practice on March 13.

In addition to the Sebring run, Panoz plans to debut a closed-top version of the car in the third ALMS round of the season at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in May.

:partygrnhat:

Oops...missed ESM dropping out of Le Mans.

Pussies.

LE MANS: ESM Withdraws From LM24

Fifth Aston Martin Racing entry gains entry for 90th Le Mans 24 Hours...

Posted Image

Following a late switch to P2 machinery in the American Le Mans Series, Extreme Speed Motorsports has pulled the plug on its planned Ferrari GTE-Am class entry for the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The Scott Sharp-owned team was confirmed Friday as the first withdrawal for this year's twice-around-the-clock classic, making way for a fifth Aston Martin Racing Vantage V8, which was the first reserve entrant in the GTE ranks.

In accordance with the ACO's sporting regulations, the No. 98 AMR entry has been reclassified to GTE-Pro after initially being listed in GTE-Am. As a result, three factory Aston Martins will race in that category, including two season-long cars from the FIA World Endurance Championship.

"To have been named as first reserve was good news in itself and we kept our fingers crossed that it would be upgraded to a full entry. To have it confirmed so quickly is great news as it allows us extra preparation time," said AMR team principal John Gaw.

“In this significant year for both Le Mans and Aston Martin, we would particularly like to thank the ACO for reclassifying the car from the Am to the Pro class. The 24 Hours of Le Mans GTE line-up is extremely competitive and the extra Pro class entry has further supported our ambitions in the category.

“This year is important for Aston Martin as it celebrates its centenary year, and having five cars on the grid for the biggest event on the motorsport calendar is a fitting way to celebrate.”

A full announcement regarding the team's driver lineup for the No. 98 car will be made at a later date.

Three cars remain on the reserve list in GTE, led by the ProSpeed Competition Porsche 911 GT3 RSR. TRG-AMR North America, a sixth Aston Martin Vantage V8, now sits third in the list.

:deadhorse More Astons to whoop on I guess...

I think it was wise for teh Deltawing to go with teh chrome wrap. After being beat around like a billiard ball, since you couldn't see teh damn thing with it's itty-bitty profile, and being matte-black wasn't helping matters. I think a Vegas-like running neon might have been a better answer though...

They'll be classified as a real P1 car so I don't imagine anyone will be making any room for them.

I did not know they added weight to the vettes this year... :banghead

ALMS: IMSA Releases Sebring BoP Adjustments

Posted Image

As teams roll into Sebring International Raceway beginning later this week, they’ll be met with various technical changes for the start of the 15th and final season of the American Le Mans Series.

Among them are the starting points for Balance of Performance, which was released Tuesday by IMSA.

The P1 category sees subtle changes, despite the arrival of Audi and its pair of R18 e-tron quattros. Gasoline-powered cars, including the HPD and Lola prototypes, will run at an increased 890 kg minimum weight, 10 kg heavier than allowed in the ALMS last year, but while gaining 5 liters of fuel capacity.

Audi’s two diesel-powered contenders, meanwhile, will run at a minimum weight of 915 kg with a 58-liter fuel tank, the same configuration expected for this year’s FIA World Endurance Championship. However, entries from Muscle Milk Pickett Racing, Dyson Racing and Rebellion Racing will benefit from a 2 percent larger air restrictor than allowed in the WEC.

No word has been given on the starting configuration of the Elan-powered DeltaWing, which will run as a classified entrant in P1.

Some notable adjustments are also on tap for GT, including a 10 kg weight reduction and 0.3 mm air restrictor increase for the Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, with last year’s championship-winning Corvette C6.R receiving a 15 kg weight increase. The Ferrari F458 Italia also gets an additional 15 kgs tacked onto it, while getting a 0.6 smaller air restrictor following last year’s mid-season allowance for ESM-only.

While the SRT Viper GTS-R remains unchanged from Petit Le Mans last year, the Aston Martin Vantage will run 20 kg heavier along with a 0.3 mm reduction in air restrictor, per the 2013 ACO BoP numbers. The new BMW Z4 GTE, meanwhile, will begin its life in the same weight and restrictor configuration as the departing M3 GT.

No BoP changes have been made to the P2 ranks, which is now confirmed to remain an open-tire class. However, due to the late timing of the decision, Michelin will supply PC tires to its P2 customers for the season-opener, according to Ken Payne, technical director of Michelin Motorsports North America.

Extreme Speed Motorsports has already announced its relationship with Michelin, with Level 5 Motorsports, which tested on the French rubber last month at Sebring, expected to firm up its plans shortly. Greaves Motorsport, the only other entrant in the cost-capped ranks, will head to Sebring with Dunlop tires, although it’s currently unclear of that tire’s construction.

Michelin's Payne told SPEED.com there’s a possibility of having P2-specific tires available to ALMS teams later in the season.

Also on the tire front, Continental was named last week as the new exclusive PC tire for this year, which will see a version of the brand’s DP tire outfitted on the Oreca FLM09 prototypes for the first time during Monday and Tuesday’s test sessions at Sebring.

While there had been concerns the Continental tire might see a performance drop-off from the previous Michelin tire used in the class, ALMS and IMSA COO Scot Elkins has refuted such claims.

"We don't expect to [make any changes] because the Continental tire is a good tire," Elkins told SPEED.com. "But if something outside of what we expect happens, we have the ability to make adjustments to the PC car to keep the class split consistent, like we always have before."

:partygrnhat:

The new BMW Z4 GTE, meanwhile, will begin its life in the same weight and restrictor configuration as the departing M3 GT.

aint that just peachy ?

The new BMW Z4 GTE, meanwhile, will begin its life in the same weight and restrictor configuration as the departing M3 GT.

aint that just peachy ?

Yet teh aero will be much improved. I thinks Rahal bought himself a championship already....we'll see....:toetap:

Am I hearing right that SPEED has teh rights to Sebring, but plans to show teh start, then go to Supercross, and tape delay teh finish, with no ESPN3 stream? :toetap:

VenomOnWheels

It would appear that you are correct, sir. I guess I can't totally ignore the Honey-Do list that day.

Sunafabitch! Possibly teh most important Sebring in recent years, and I got to watch it delayed? :banghead

Now You have no reason to not attend the Gila Bend BBQ do you ????? See ya Saturday :wave2:

I'll try...I have to solve teh squeaky pulley and/or belt issue before I'm leaving teh city....:bang

:hunter Get a load of this merde, teh Frenchies put out their BoP adjustments too. Translation: Do not let those old vettes win again.

LE MANS: GTE BoP Adjustments Announced For WEC

Following a recent meeting of the Endurance Committee in Paris, the Balance of Performance adjustments for both the GTE Pro and Am classes of the FIA World Endurance Championship have been set...

Posted Image

Following a recent meeting of the Endurance Committee in Paris, the Balance of Performance adjustments for both the GTE Pro and Am classes of the FIA World Endurance Championship have been set. These adjustments are made against the base figures set in the 2013 Technical Regulations; these come into immediate effect and are equally applicable for the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

“The Balance of Performance for the LMGTE Pro and Am cars has been unveiled for the new season," said Vincent Beaumesnil, Sporting Director of the ACO. "The Balance of Performance for 2013 for each car entered for the FIA WEC and for Le Mans has been arrived at using data from various sources. Of course the performance of the cars will be monitored throughout the season and the BoP will be adjusted if necessary.”

Taking into account data provided by the manufacturers, adjustments can be made to any, or all, of five different areas of the car: weight, the diameter of air restrictors, the size of the gurney on the rear wing, fuel tank capacity and the size of the distance between the top of the rear wing and the roof of the car.

For the GTE Pro category, the Porsche GT3 RSR (997) and the Porsche GT3 RSR (991) will receive an adjustment of weight (-35kg) from the baseline 1245 kg, and +0.7mm to the two restrictors (28.6mm). The same modifications apply to the GTE Am Porsche 997. The Porsche GT3 RSR (991) will also have a reduction of -100mm in the height of the rear wing from the roof of the car.

The Ferrari F458 Italia will also receive an adjustment, applicable to both Pro and Am classes, of weight (-10kg), a reduction of -5 litres from the standard 90 litre fuel tank capacity and a reduction of -100mm in the height of the rear wing from the roof of the car.

Aston Martin Racing’s Vantage V8s will benefit from -40kg in weight, balanced with +1.4mm on the restrictors (28.3mm). The British cars have also received an adjustment to the rear wing Gurney (-10mm) and +5 litres to the fuel tank capacity. Again, these changes are applicable for both Pro and Am entries.

The final FIA WEC car featured in the latest decisions from the Endurance Committee is the LMGTE Am Corvette C6R which receives +5 kg in weight, +1.3mm in diameter of restrictors (27.9mm) and a reduction of -25mm in the height of the rear wing from the roof of the car.

:twitch That sounds fair, right. Good luck with that, Larbre boys! :nutkick:

You are contagious...I just tried for 30 minutes to post teh new ALMS thread...and I am FORBIDDEN. Thx Ted and Dawg!

I'm going to upgrade the software ... After the BBQ... Are you going to attend???